Help with 13th company

GunnarRedsun

ok ok, so i finally tracked down a new copy of the 13th company rules (i lost my old codex eye of terror about 4 months ago just before i started looking to build the current incarnation of my wolves), and i want i make a 13th company army, but have no idea what to do. now to make note i have the copy off of the canadian site ( http://ca.games-workshop.com/CommunityNew/...13thcompany.pdf ) and its been so long (i had one army for eye of terror, then dismantled it for some reason...) i have no idea what to do. well i have some idea, but i do need some help.

so first, it says that the retinues rule still applies, but there are only 3 hq choices. does this mean i can only build up to 2250? (my freinds like to play larger games)

Wulfen or grey slayers?

If grey slayers, then storm claws or Wulfen?

2 or 3 fenrisian wolf packs?

thats all for now. thanks a lot guys.

god i must sound like a newb :)

*wafts swirling purple vapor that pours up from the ground*

/monotone From the sage wisdom of accumulated years, I impart this unto ye... /end monotone

As far as I know, a 13th Company can only be played up to 2250pts, since the Wolf and Rune Priests are both 0-1, and you have to have a Wulf Lord in the army. If you can take more than one Lord I do not know, the Rune Priests were far too good to give up. Grey Slayers should be the core of your army, with at least one Wulfen pack somewhere in there, preferably lead by a Wolf Priest for control (and Healing Potions). Storm Claws are there to accompany the Wulf Lord into battle, so I'd run at 1 minimum, 2 packs at max. Fenrisian Wolves are cheap, numerous, and very, very dangerous- so yes, I'd take two packs of them. Long Fangs are best with Special Weapons and the Rune Priest for Gating fun, but Your Mileage May Vary.

Any Rules Questions that I can foresee are as such:

1. Whether or not Terminator and Terminator led packs can use Scouts and Move Through Cover I can't tell you for sure- the BBB has no such stipulations, but since the Codex says so, I'd play it RAW to be safe.

2. Items like the Wolf Helm, Wolf Standard, and Fang of Morkai are no longer viable options- act as if they do not exist in the current Space Wolf Codex.

I'll turn this over to someone with more 13th Company experience than myself, maybe Decoy'll pop in and give his opinion.

Oh one other thing, is there any way to get my paws on an FAQ, or are they all lost to the warp now? um...i do beleive thats it for now.

You can go higher... just split your forces into two warbands of say... 1500pts. Then you have 4 HQ's, 2 of wich have to be wolf lords, and four troops choices. You can even have a wulfen band and a normal band.

Its called "detachments" if you recall.

that is a good point, though i think at that point, i may consider fielding my normal wolves along side them, you know for the extra punch they give, and outflanking with the 13th company.

I played 13th company at ard boyz and that was 2500. The reason is they made a special exception that stated the amount of HQ's for the 13th company stopped at 3 and we didn't need (nor use) the 4th. Granted they were only allowed in the first and second rounds of the event, but I did enjoy my 2500 points of wolves slaughtering all that opposed them 5th edition style. ^_^

There have been countless threads about new players wanting to start up 13th company, and I suggest you search for them because they have a lot of answers to the questions you're going to ask us and it's only fair that you help yourself insted of us always helping you (you is inteded for multiples not just a singular being).

Didn't gw say that the 13th company rules cannont be used anymore in official tournaments, just like the imperial guard steel legion.

They allowed it for ard boyz because the point of that tournament is to bring whatever you think is "cheeze" and if people complain then they're a git and are disqualified. Otherwise yes, the 13th company is sadly "not allowed" unless your TO at a local store says it's ok for their store tournament... mainly because there's no FAQ for them and people think you can make cheeze lists out of them... pah.

I just talked to a guy who is a higher up in the company and he said that the final word was it is still legal until the new codex comes out. now i know that this applies to my area (greater seattle/pacific northwest) but obviously different people from different areas have different feelings and interpratations of things. but i thought i would let you all know. cheers.

I just talked to a guy who is a higher up in the company and he said that the final word was it is still legal until the new codex comes out. now i know that this applies to my area (greater seattle/pacific northwest) but obviously different people from different areas have different feelings and interpratations of things. but i thought i would let you all know. cheers.

That doesn't make sense, the 13th company isn't getting another codex, so I think you're getting SW's and 13th company mixed up I believe... If you ARE allowed to use 13th company... dear god I'm envious.

like several other very elite armies such as Catchans and Cult of Slaanesh (from fantasy), when the new primary codex comes out it outdates any special armies unless they are given updates. that i know from my time working for the company. and based on that 13th should still be legal (unless otherwise noted) regardless of lack of update until the new space wolf codex comes out. thats at least what we were told by our higher ups. regardless though, the ultimate ruling is always up to the tourny/ league organizers. anywolf i hope that that helps, cheers.

Archived