Zombie Marines!

Greetings to the B&C!

I've had an idea for an army for a long time, and I've decided to start working toward it. My idea is a Chaos Force led by a fell champion of chaos (Either an undivided renegade or perhaps even a Nurgle Lord), whose servants are corrupted marines from many other chapters... laid low by his power and pressed into his service!

I enjoy painting and converting more than I do actually playing the game, so the idea of interesting skeletal/zombie marines + the ability to paint up undead marines from various chapters (the fools who've tried to stop this Chaos Lord), really draw me in. I was thinking the leader would have originally been an Ultramarine, as the old Blue Boys are representative of honor and loyalty to the Imperium and thus, a Necromancer Ultramarine has a definite perverse appeal.

As I am interested in mostly infantry, and I am somewhat inexperienced in making an army that works, what would be some good inclusions into such a force?

Any help would be appreciated!

all I can say is that nothing says UNSTOPPABLE ZOMBIE INVASION like a field full of rhino's and LR's that spew forth endless hordes of zombies!

As for an army list, I could see a lot of cool possibilities

Your zombie marines

Chosen (less mutated but fanatically devoted so as to not mutate more)

Possessed (but rather than demons, make it some guys whom the zombification has really messed up - huge heads, zombies with wings, etc.)

plague marines - just because it would fit so well

WFB zombies as Summoned demons

Obliterators - already looked f'd up, shouldn't be too hard to zombify

I don't know how competative a list including these would be but where I play, fluff prioritizes winning.

also for vehicles, you could do a half and half paint job. Basically using original colors of one of your defeated enemies with the vehicle looking like an infection is spreading from where it suffered some battle damage. I would liken it to the effect of moss growing on a tree. It would look very cool if done well as well as lead to a very personalized force. I have this image of bubble filled green stuff taking up one side and spreading out from all the edges of the vehicle... Kinda like the gunk in ghost busters 2 but not orange and with more of a rough texture in many different shades of green, black, and yellow

Edited for bad english :o

Mechanized force eh? (Tries to imagine zombies moaning and careening down a ruined street in a van) That might take some interesting conversion work to make it thematically work...

I hadn't realized that the new edition of Warhammer 40k put such a reliance on armour to make a viable force. Maybe this will turn into another of my looks-great-on-the-table-but-gets-destroyed-by-turn-three armies...

Ah well, it wouldn't be my first army of that sort!

Don't do mech zombies - zombies just aren't mech ever!

Feild lots and lots of basic dudes (with maybe a few elites as well) give them all mark of nurgle, then run run run across the field full tilt in a massive wave of death! Ever played Left 4 Dead? I suggest you do, as it could give LOTS of inspiration.

Mechanized force eh? (Tries to imagine zombies moaning and careening down a ruined street in a van) That might take some interesting conversion work to make it thematically work...

I hadn't realized that the new edition of Warhammer 40k put such a reliance on armour to make a viable force. Maybe this will turn into another of my looks-great-on-the-table-but-gets-destroyed-by-turn-three armies...

Ah well, it wouldn't be my first army of that sort!

Could you use the Corpse Cart model as a basis for coverting Rhinos? Hardwire a 'driver' into it too, like a penitent engine?

@Belfast: I like the idea of crazy zombie creatures as demons! The pustule Rhinos are a great idea as well! Kind of a "Rot from within" idea!

@Lady Cannoness: I love Left 4 Dead! It was that game that made me start to consider my old zombie-army idea. I like shamblers more than sprinters in my zombies though :)

@WarpWhisper: That is a fantastic idea... abandon the Rhino entirely... make it some horrible meat-wagon of a transport. I can see this reeking rotting wagon roll up to an objective and a dull moan start to rise from the bodies piled in the back as they begin to animate...

Time to start looking for some bitz!!

I actually made 2 of those Zombie Marines with Assault Marines they came out pretty nicely. Had some Zombies laying around its a great Idea wish I could make a Whole Legion of them. Also made some fluff if you dont mind

The god of the Living and dead is what this Legion worships and the only alive person is really the Lord everyone is from different chapters and they hate the Legion of the Damned the good ghosts lol.

WarCry: The Living are already Dead and the Dead shall Live once more!

How does it sound?

@Lady_canoness: I dunno, the fluff for a mechanized zombie force could be that even though the leader can control and create the zombies, it either takes too much concentration, whether psychic or otherwise, to control them 24/7. He could also be a little lazy... thats how I would roll. Nothing screams a procrastinating genius than the creation of zombie plague through which to control the universe. Theres a lot of sitting to be done!

In other words, I know its a major push from the normal zombie mantra, but basically, rather than controlling a zombie invasion all the time or waiting for the time it takes for a planet to be overwhelmed, he takes a zombie strike force (claimed as band name!), psychically corrals them into the vehicles, then sets him free until he is ready to move them.

What better way could a zombie master create complete and utter distruction... let the swarm do its thing, with a highly specialized, highly mobile force hitting priority targets!

In a galaxy of war, the man who gives thought to the enfeebled could rule it all :P

Well for me with The Zombie Marines, the Marines who died aren't like Zombies being WS 2 or BS 2 but knowing what they had and the skills they had but because they are fighting for The god of the Dead and Living, he lets other Sorcerors control them. Even though they are not fully mindless they have skills! Thats what I was thinking.

Thousand Sons = Ghost Marines

Plague Marines = (Concious) Zombie Marines

While the khorne cults are mad, and the slaanesh cults are morbidly perverse.

PM's are good for mass units and having anti vehicle weapons, while sons can pack a punch for heavy armor and characters. Great combo.

Zombie daemons are in the form of plaguebearers// daemons you have available. Nothing wrong with using Kroot Mercenaries as your version of zombies too.

In other words, I know its a major push from the normal zombie mantra, but basically, rather than controlling a zombie invasion all the time or waiting for the time it takes for a planet to be overwhelmed, he takes a zombie strike force (claimed as band name!), psychically corrals them into the vehicles, then sets him free until he is ready to move them.

Nonono. The one thing that characterises a zombie army is the word HORDE. Do you know how hard a squad of 20 PMs is to kill? Base your army around a couple of those and go from there. Maybe a couple of big squads of zombies/skeletons as summoned deamons.

Personally, I love the idea of a Nurgle necromancer surrounded by his zombie marine horde and will mercilessly steal it for my own when I do my Nurgle army. :P

Thinking further on the backstory for such a force, I've begun to picture a powerful leader, more than likely corrupted by some long forgotten artifact (Logan Grimnar's axe setting the precedent for some Chaos Weapons being reforged for Imperial use). The forces under his command were killed and then reborn under his dark power... he manages to escape the vengeance of his loyalist brothers and flee's into the periphery of Imperial Space.

As the years pass, he claims a base of operations (Dead world, abandoned space station, something forgotten) and begins raiding Imperial outposts for new followers. As his attacks grow in strength and scope, other Space Marine chapters strive to stop him... and some fall to his power. Some of them may keep some vestige of their personality and serve him unwillingly. Some bow before his corrupting influence and serve wholeheartedly, taking part of his horde for themselves, or even creating their own.

And somewhere, Grandfather Nurgle laughs.

Archived