Supporting the "Triple Whirlwind" list.

ShinyRhino

I now own three Whirlwinds, thanks to a recent birthday gift (I had two previously, and received another for my birthday).

The temptation to run all three in a list is now pulling at me. How would you support three Whirlies? My first instinct would be at least one Techmarine, but he's got no transport options beyond a bike anymore. I suppose I could buy another unit with a transport, and just pirate the Rhino/Razor for the Techmarine and his servitors after deployment. But how useful will the lone Techmarine be for Whirlwinds and their soft armor?

What sort of other units would compliment the trio of Whirlwinds, though? Close-combat troops like assault Marines are kind of scary, since a bad scatter would fry my own boys. Though with the 12" jump and 6" assault, I could position assault Marines outside scatter range, and still jump in to clean up the units that I've slammed with Whirlwind ordnance.

Also tempting are tactical squads with long-range weapons like lascannons and rocket launchers to blast away from afar. Scout snipers would also be nice. Maybe a couple of Storms with choppy or shotgun scouts inside to zoom to objectives?

Lastly, how would you deploy the trio? Overload one side? Overload the center? Spread them out across your deployment zone for target saturation? Double up on one flank, and a loner someplace else? I suppose this all depends on if you deploy first or second, and the composition of your enemy. But, discuss!

Take a look at the triple vindie army at BOLS...

I have a few ideas floating for a triple pie plate army - but has 2 whirls and 1 vind. 3 tac squads, assault squad, captain, chaplain, few extra things to round the points out (terms, dreads, command squad, or speeders). Whirls are anti-infantry and work together. Vindie follows the assault troops and chaplain. 1 tac squad protects the Whirls (combat squads right and left). the other two are anti-tank and objective grabbers (one with Rhino or Razorback, attached captain). Of course you know I'm doing this because I have an ork infestation that needs to be removed...Tacs are my typical Las-Plas until I get some meltaguns...Sub a libby for chaplian if you suspect you have an elf-festation or demon problem...Whirls are set up behind terrain near center of deployment area, to keep away from infiltration zones, etc. The only problem with a list like this is it locks out all other heavy choices.

Yeah,t he shop is about to be inundated with greenskins from what Dave has said. The Vidicator anchoring the center might be a good idea. I'd have to reconstruct mine though, as I ripped it apart for refurbishment/reclamation from that horrible previous owner paintjob.

How would you support three Whirlies?

3 Whirlwinds will cover almost all of your anti-horde needs, so what you have to do is bulk up your anti-tank.

I still say that Multi-Melta Attack Bikes are the Emperor's gift to Space Marines as far as reliable, cheap tank busters. 4-6 of these should handle most heavy armor and won't break the bank.

Supported by your normal amount of Tacticals, Dreadnoughts and the almost ubiquitous Sternguard, you should be fine. Give the Tacticals Missile Launchers and Plasmaguns so they have some MEQ/TEQ/MC killing weapons.

As far as deployment, I'd probably do 1:2 with 2 being deployed in the safest corner.

Archived