DIY Thunderhawk for my DIY chapter

jester_prince

Okay its early days, this is my very first experience working with plasticard, I've enjoyed it thoroughly so far. While I am making some fairly decent progress I have to admit ive not done the worlds best job, im hopeing it will all fit together when its done and im working from templates i found on the net. For the most part these templates have been great. Plasticard is fantastick to work with and ill certainly do it again.

Anyway heres my attempt so far.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/05022009203-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/05022009204-1.jpg

That is looking mighty fine! A cheaper, lighter and therefore vastly superior version than that produced by Forgeworld :D

OH, how I would love to build one myself - just got to find enough plasticard!

Where did you find the templates? If you have the link, could you PM them to me?

http://www.ultramarines.nl/thunderhawkplans.htm

They arnt 100% scale so i resized them in photoshop and spray mounted them to the plasticard driectly and cut out the templates instead of redrawing it. it fits perfectly. I got the plasticard from ebay i used 3mm for the basic structure and i intend to use 0.25mm for the pannels and details. The guy also has an online shop called stationroadbaseboards but i dont know if im allowed to supply a direct link here.

Looking good so far, I'd started a thunderhawk based on the imperial armor drawing which I scanned into my computer and adjusted to be the correct scale.

After putting in two weeks just to get the main hull done I decided it was way more work than I wanted and abandoned the project, I figured the hours I was putting in if I'd put those in at work I would have paid for the forge world one before I even got to the wings, although the scratch built one costs maybe $150-200 in styrene and bits, the amount of time involved is staggering. I started out with a body made of foam core board which got styrene put on over that with a "low temp" hot glue gun.

It looks like the plans you are working from may have been based off the original lead/pewter thunderhawk that GW put out years back, it was a bit shorter looking in the body compaired to the FW one. The area between the cockpit and the gun turret is slightly longer on the FW model, the cargo bay underneath looks a bit longer on your version (but looks like it'd actually hold 30 troops) the cargo bay on the FW model is too small to fit even 15 models let alone 30. What are the dimensions of your model?

PS you may be able to save a lot of work if you can pick up one of anakin skywalkers pod racer toys cheap on ebay, the engine is almost dead on with the thunderhawk details and perfect scale too. It's half an inch longer than the FW engine if you cut the rear facing exhast cone down, but has almost the same width and has a lot of surface detail that you can use without needing to do all sorts of scultpting/kitbashing for.

(For reference FW version measures 19 inches long and the wing span is 17 inches)

I like what you have so far it looks really good, it's a lot of work but keep the dedication going!

Supprisingly this hasnt been too time consuming ive been working on this a few hours a night since tuesday and i already have the main hull completed, i just need to make the attack wings and then i can start work on the time consumind details. The engines may be my downfall as i dont have anything yet that looks as finished as the guys im basing it off.

It measures about 26" wingspan (tip to tip including the hull) by 20" length without the tail and main engine. Its HUGE, alot bigger then the old metal mini.

I extended the wingspan in all honesty, the wings looked stubby. This design is admittedly not as "streamlined" (very loose term when talking about thunderhawks) as the forge world model.

I also need to get hold of some weapon sponsons before its too late. my next step will probably be the attack wings and then pannels on the bodywork and wings.

I plan to paint this in camouflage patterns to go with the rest of my army, grey and white on top and a pale sky blue underneath. Ill keep it updated as i make progress.

Neh you were totaly right man saved me from tragedy. Looks much better now, i just switched them around and it looks better, i just need to make sure i get the front wings and the attack wings the right way now too.... I swear the guy who designed this designed it backwards...

Holy cow is that a big bird, not much longer but definately a lot wider. One thing to remember is that the wing mounter weapons measure from the weapon itself ro ranges so with that wide of a wing span the heavy bolters will have a heck of a time hitting anything on the other side of the ship due to range.

As for the engine... behold! podracer instant thunderhawk engines!

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/thawk3.jpg

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/thawk4.jpg

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/thawk5.jpg

Not trying to thread jack, they just work really well.

It's from the full sized pod racer from episode 1 that you can put the standard star wars action figures in. I found mine on ebay, it was out of the box beat up and missing parts but all I was after was the engines which it still had, and more importantly it was cheap! (I think I paid $16 total with the shipping.)

For the weapon bits you can probably bits order them on ebay as well or through one of the bits vendors like battlewaggon.

Also if you pick up an x-wing fighter from ERTL the wings are the exact size of the forward canard wings and also the small attack wings with the lascannons

SWEET ill have to look into that, and tbh im not too fussed about battles, so range isnt an issue, this is mainly a display piece for the time being until at least my army reaches a size large enough for apocalypse.

The problem with this model is i think the actual hull is wider then the forgeworld model so wings as short as forge world look stubby. Like i said before the forgeworld one has been streamlined.

I was looking at the model he had listed up and the hull is definately way wider. The FW model tapers in at the nose quite a bit, the door is only as wide as the center hull piece of a land raider or rhino (the part inbetween the tracks) and the hull width on the t-hawk body is from the edge of center piece to the outside of one track on the landeraider, and the exact width of a rhino minus the little engine bumps. The version he has is big enough that he has a rhino driving out of it. Very big, which is very cool for display, pain in the butt for transporting and playing with :P

Archived