Playing in doubles tournament...

Master Of Malfeasance X

Okay, so I'm playing in a doubles tournament with my humble Chaos Marines and my compatriot is a Tyranid player. It's 1750, and we played a trial game against 3500 points of Tau and got mollywhopped. I'd like to know the forum's take on this combination of the spiny and the spiky.

My force as I usually run it-

Sorcerer: Slaanesh, Lash

Zerks x 9: with champion, power weapon, rhino

CSM x 10: with champion, fist, chaos glory, 2x melta, rhino

Thousand Sons x 8+1: Doombolt

Obliterator x3

Obliterator x3

Defiler (slaughterfiend)

I own:

20x daemonettes all named after ex-girlfriends. I never get tired of watching them get eradicated :P

daemon prince

TDA chaos lord

PA chaos lord

HB havocs

Land Raider

10 terminators

1 more CSM squad identical to the ones mentioned above

8 plague marines with 2 plasma guns

5 chosen without arms, so they could theoretically be armed with anything (ha ha, get it?)

My ally:

Flyrant with 2x devourer

walking tyrant with venom cannon/barbed strangler

3x elite fex, 1 with scything talons, 1 with 2x TL devourers, 1 with barbed strangler

3x broods of genestealers with scuttlers and extended carapace (it's nice not to be on the receiving end of this outflank for a change)

3x heavy fex. One with venom cannon/barbed strangler two outfitted for CC (don't remember how)

Maybe the Tau just got lucky/had exactly the right combination to win, but I want to make sure that never happens again. We have until early March to refine our tactics. I appreciate any tactical input you guys (and gals, all two of you in the whole 40k community) might have.

Sorcerer: Slaanesh, Lash

Zerks x 9: with champion, power weapon, rhino

Thousand Sons x 8+1: Doombolt

Obliterator x3

Obliterator x3

Defiler (slaughterfiend)

I'd like to see those Thousand Sons in a Rhino. Against Tau, you're going to be wounding on 5's and punching through their armor. Of course the 4+ Inv save does little as Tau like to kill Marines with lots of firepower vs AP weapons. You'd probably be better off replacing them with the Plague Marines. Pulse Rifles will only be wounding on a 4+ and you get your FnP and armor save too. Toss out Plasma to knock out their tanks or Crisis Suits.

Obliterators are going to be a great buy and should focus on popping Hammerheads and Broadsides.

Putting a Land Raider in the list wouldn't be horrible, give it to the Berserkers and hopefully they'll catch something. Of course you can also hold them back and use it as a gun platform. In that case, keep the Berserkers in the Rhino and have the Plague Marines camp with the Land Raider.

The Sorcerer isn't going to do much, as I'm sure most of his units will be mounted so you won't be able to catch them.

A Flying Daemon Prince would be a good way of hunting Crisis Suits, fast enough to catch them and smash them very quickly.

My ally:

Flyrant with 2x devourer

walking tyrant with venom cannon/barbed strangler

3x elite fex, 1 with scything talons, 1 with 2x TL devourers, 1 with barbed strangler

3x broods of genestealers with scuttlers and extended carapace (it's nice not to be on the receiving end of this outflank for a change)

3x heavy fex. One with venom cannon/barbed strangler two outfitted for CC (don't remember how)

Wow Nidzilla much? 8 MCs is going to be fairly scary. The negative is that against Tau, the 3 melee Carnifex are pretty much useless as they're overkill against Firewarriors or Kroot, but won't reach their Crisis Suits or Tanks. Instead I'd go with more Dakka Fex (as S6 will hurt the Devilfish) and those Barbed Stranglers (S8 will insta kill suits and can penetrate Hammerheads). The low BS means little when its a blast weapon.

Genestealers are also overkill, I'd try to toss out some Gaunts, to bulk up your numbers. Have them lead the charge, giving a Cover save to the rest of your squads. Remember their job is just to die.

The last thing is going with 3 sets of 3 Terminators, 2 Combi-Meltas and 1 Heavy Flamer. Melta for killing tanks/suits and Heavy Flamer to punch through their armor saves or Kroots in cover.

Archived