So Many Choices ... So Few Points

13thWarrior

Well Met Battle Brothers ...

My club recently started an Escalation League (we had planned on playing The Tale of Five Gamers).

Now the League has 18 members.

My Space Wolves are doing excellent at the 500 point level:

Rune Priest (lots of psykers in this community)

9 Blood Claws in Rhino

6 Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard

I am having a blast, but now I am looking at the point increase. I dig Wolf Scouts, but also like the support from Long Fangs and would like the give the Grey Hunters a Razorback and have a Venerable Dread as the 2nd HQ.

Any suggestions?

I would recommend against Long Fangs as they are fairly expensive. I would suggest a Ven Dread with plasma cannon and close combat weapon. Also perhaps a predator with autocannon and sponson lascannons as the autocannon can still take on AV13 and there aren't many AV14 model out there. Scouts are cool and I tool mine up with meltagun, meltabombs and 2 power weapons to deal with devastators/tanks.

However it may be better to get a more senior wolf to look at this as being a Wolf Guard I am not the best tactician. I was promoted for my fighting prowess not my strategic skill. (Meaning I am having trouble winning a game at the minute but that might be because I currently do not have the units I suggested.

well i generally run a ven dread with twin lascannon as my second hq. i know its expensive, but its cheaper than long fangs, and packs a hell of a punch. personally (and this is JUST me) i don't use many rhinos, though razorbacks are fun. if you are going to run long fangs (which i would suggest agaist until over a 1000) be careful with your weapons. i usually run 4 missles in mine, and they do great. come from behind scouts are always a great suprise for your opponent, just make sure they have at least one power weapon so they get that fun little charge in. more blood claws is always a good thing, as they are great against anything. meq is also good to have, but not in the blood claws (i only ever give mine flamers). personally i love grey hunters, as their versatility is second to none in my humble opinion. ironclad dreadnoughts are phenomenal, and eat through...everything. um..really thats all i have at this time. i hope some of it helps.

oh and exterminators are AWESOME. probably have to convert it up, but all the Le Mann Russ tanks are great, and the exterminator is my favorite. better survivability than the predator, more guns, less versatility (though you can give it a las cannon if memory serves me correctly) but awesome against infantry.

I'd say if you take armor, try and split it up into two, make them choose which tank they want first, and it'll give you a little extra time. This is, of course, if you can afford it. Even a VenDred/Pred or LRE would work.

Long Fangs are expensive, and only justifiable to me in 1250+. Scouts OBEL with PLasma and Melta are nice, great way to ransack some big points of the enemy. Scouts up the front with Sniper aren't bad either, even if they aren't too Wolfy.

Long Fangs are expensive, and only justifiable to me in 1250+. Scouts OBEL with PLasma and Melta are nice, great way to ransack some big points of the enemy. Scouts up the front with Sniper aren't bad either, even if they aren't too Wolfy.

I am working on Wolf Scouts right now (read as there are five units that I am now painting).

I have models to make OBEL very versatile and I am very pleased with my snipers.

(cloaked scout with DA hood looks awesome!)

I was really looking at the Long Fangs .. 1) because I was excited to model them 2) they are so shooty and I don't have a Hvy weapon in the army so far and 3) I was excited to model them! with Missile Launchers (thanks for the confirmation Gunnar)

I dont have models for the LRE or Predator, but I just got a new Crusader / Redeemer. I just figured too many points for this level.

Keep the advice coming! thanks!

Well at 190 pts for 4 missile launchers they arent horrible... just not great. It is alot of firepower for the 1000pts level though, Ill give you that.

Personally, with another 500pts Id do something like this:

Vendread w/ Assault Cannon+EA- 160pts.

4 more Bolter GH- 72pts.

Predator Annihilator w/Heavy Bolters, extra armor- 145pts.

5x Wolf Scouts- Meltagun, 2x Powerweapon-100pts.

Throw in a couple of pack upgrades, and your good.

I like that and I DO need to add more Grey Hunters ... my Jaeger Gris

Thanks Grey!

I was thinking to Drop Pod some forces in ... maybe the Blood Claws in a Pod and increase in unit size.

Maybe the Venerable in a Drop Pod coming in on the other Pod's homer.

== REDACTED - JUVENILE & NONCONSTRUCTIVE ==?

Not a bad idea.... though as a rule of thumb its best to have an odd number of drop pods. That way you can maximise the ones who come in together.

My only critique about drop podding in your bloodclaws is that you only have two scoring units and bloodclaws are immensely fragile on the drop. Theyd be unsupported and have almost nothing for shooting. Its usually better to drop pod grey hunters, and all 11 of that squad could fit inside a drop pod.

Alternatively you could drop in the dreadnaught to sow some havoc while the rest of your army moves up.

Archived