How to equip a Librarian with Sternguard?

HERO

For starters, here's the list that I run with the Librarian. Yes, yes, I heard from many a time that this isn't the most fair list, but you guys have to realize that I play with some of the most gruesome players there is. I'm talking like Mech Tau with 3x Hammerheads and straight Carnifax wall + CC Broodlord + Stealers. My club of guys are extremely bloody.

Here's the list:

~1750

HQ:

Pedro Kantor = 175

Librarian (Epistolary, Terminator/SS) = 190

TROOPS:

10x Tactical (Drop Pod, MM, Locator) = 220

10x Tactical (Drop Pod, MM) = 210

ELITE:

10x Sternguard (Drop Pod, PF, 6x Combi-Melta, Locator) = 350

10x Sternguard (Drop Pod, PF, 6x Combi-Melta) = 340

Venerable Dreadnought (Drop Pod, EC) = 215

Now I know that the Librarian with Terminator Armor and a FW/SS combo is going to be pretty resilient, but I'm not exactly sure what are the best 2x Psychic powers to take. The guys that I'm playing against are mostly Tau and Tyranids with some Marines (both Chaos and Loyal) in the mix.

I've been dropping the Lib with 11x Sternguard into the depth of battle with Gates of Infinity and its worked marvelously before. So for one, I think it's safe enough to say that Gates is a stable when traveling with Sternguard via Drop Pod. The main question is.. what do you guys think the best 2nd Psychic ability is? For me, I'm tossed between Force Dome, Avenger, Quickening, Null Zone, and Might of the Ancients (which is a lot of choices).

Personally, I find that Avenger is pretty amazing because of the S5 AP3 flamer but Quickening/Might of the Ancients ensures that whatever squad assaulting the Sternguard thinks otherwise. The rest is kinda up in the air.

Avenger is a good power - but Null Zone has been the clear winner in my area. Sternguard get messed up when attacking units with Invulns, like Assault Terminators, Daemons, harlequins, and anything else that presents an immediate threat to them in the viscinity of their drop-zone.

As for Gates, it's highly subjective. On some tables it's the best thing you could ever give yourself. On others, it's purely suicide. I've stopped using Gate in favour of Avenger because of the ability to wipe out any small MEQ unit with his single shot, immediatley making back his points.

How are you getting units of 11 Sternguard? The maximum unit size is 10 :D

Even if you could have 11, you couldn't take the Librarian along with the Sternguard if you did because his Terminator Armour counts as 2 models.

Terminator Armour is pretty much wasted on a Librarian anyway IMO, especially with a full 10 man squad as bodyguard.

My thoughts:

1 - Make your Sternguard units legal! Max size is 10. Koremu beat me to the punch on this one, though.

2 - In terms of the Librarian, if you are going to take him with the SS and Terminator armor, then you have a very solid invulnerable save; this will play into what I would take later on.

3 - I've not found an Epistolary to be particularly useful (though I am sure there are times it could be), so I'd definitely keep in mind you could trim points there if you find yourself primarily using gate only.

4 - In terms of powers, I would suggest that as a pairing with Sternguard, Gate of Infinity is a non-negotiable choice. The ability to zip your Sternguard around so they always have the ability to unleash their specialized firepower makes the unit far, far more intimidating than if you can just tie them up once and be done with it for the game. I would definitely keep this.

5 - For your other options, it would depend on if you can switch your list between games. If so, I would go with Null Zone against armies sporting a lot of invulnerable saves (it absolutely wrecks Daemons), I would go with Avenger if you just want something reliable, but my personal preference would be Vortex of Doom given that you have a 3+ invulnerable save if you fail the roll. Having the S10 firepower is suddenly not such a bad deal if a failure doesn't mean instant horrible death for your Librarian...

I was floating 50 points and I made the list off the top of my head from what I can remember (which is a little hazy since I haven't played in a month).

No book on me this weekend boys.

@Koremu - Why is the Terminator Armor wasted on the Librarian? The 3+ Invulnerable is amazing! Plus he travels with 10 Sternguard in the Drop Pod that comes down, so there's 2 Power Weapons in the squad (1 fist) just in case I would actually want to fight it.

As for the Vortex.. it also spells doom for your Sternguard doesn't it?

Vortex doesn't scatter when you fail.

Deploy carefully and you will take, at most, a single Sternguard with you if you fail that roll. Likewise, your Librarian would have a 2/3rds chance to survive a major mishap with it given the SS.

Vortex doesn't scatter when you fail.

Deploy carefully and you will take, at most, a single Sternguard with you if you fail that roll. Likewise, your Librarian would have a 2/3rds chance to survive a major mishap with it given the SS.

I'm assuming I can't use it out of Gate of Infinity because it counts as moving and the Vortex is listed as Heavy.

terminators cant BUY a drop pod - IC's can buy termy armour and then join a unit which CAN have a drop pod - A pod fits 12 bodies - terminator armour counts as 2 bodies.. so yes - you can get A terminator into a pod...

Reinholt has said everything I would say - Vortex + gate + termy armour and SS - sublime combo (how often do you miscast anyway?) you have a series of melta weapons in the mix.. add in a str 10 ap1 blast! Same tricks as before... The only issue may arise when you actually use gate.. that power might hurt if you do miscast after a gate but I would run the risk...

I dislike terminator armed characters in power armour squads, as it prevents any sweeping advance (and sternguard near pedro are quite assaulty). Also nullzone/avenger is exactly what i use with my sternguard, it complements them perfectly. sternguard are for a surgical strike to wipeout the biggest threat your opponent has, which can fail completely when that 'threat' has an invulnerable save.

Archived