Honour Guard Without Master in it?

lucifer light bearer

Yes, nowhere does it state that the chapter master must be attatched to the honour guard unit. Indeed, it would be very impractical to have Calgar attatched to all three of his honour guard squads. :P

Honour guard are their own unit, which become available as a result of taking a Chapter Master. They are in that respect the same as a command squad for a Captain.

Check the link in my signiature for tips on their use (and all ultra-hard units).

If you take the following unit I think you will be pleasently surprised with their ability to kill WS4, T4 models on the charge:

Honour Guard - 2x extra models, relic blade on the Chapter Champion and Chapter Banner.

= 225pts

That little unit is very poweful, but ultimately I think the you need an initiative 5 model in the unit. The Chapter Master will benefit from the Chapter Banner, and if you are like me you give him a Relic Blade, you will have 5 attacks on the charge. That's 10 with the Chapter Champion.

Recently I have been taking Brother Tual's advice and mounting them in a Landraider and adding a Chaplain. Almost nothing can stand against that on the charge, and the Master's potential to kill off models before they strike the unit increases their survivability.

Even against the much feared mob of Ork Nobz you will find the unit will mince most of the enemy unit, if not all of them before they strike...

Adding a chappy is the best way to use them, rerolls on 30+ power weapon attacks....large ork mob?...what ork mob???

Points wise they are pretty well priced, they are cheaper than termies and unique enough to not be compared to them all the time, at 35 points each, they come with artificer armour and a power weapon...

They are cheaper than termies and benefit from 2ccws unlike most termies...

GC08

Archived