Scaly Salamander Sternguard

Psythu

Hi

Haven't done much work on my marines in a little while, but I'm hoping to get back into them now. I want my sternguard to be rather scaly, like my assault terminators but less terminatory. The big challenges here are the much smaller size of tactical marines to terminators (I'm really not all that awesome at sculpting), and making lizard helmets that're quite clearly helmets. So far I've got the legs half done, and made prototype combi flamer/melta guns. I'm gonna hate myself so much for this when it's time to paint all those scales.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2967/sternguardwip01webwt2.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6204/sternguardwip02webgw4.jpg

Thoughts?

The scales look great. :lol: But the combi weapons don't seem to be big and bulky enough. I know they are only single shot and maybe it's just that the GW combi weapons seem to be the full melta with a bolter strapped to it. I think you need to bulk out the hand grip on the bottom of the bolter and maybe move the clip down a bit.

i'd agree that the combi weapons aren' as bulky as the gw standard ones, but don't forget that slamanders are meant to be real artisans so i think a slender/ sleeker look is quite fitting with the fluff and feel of the army.

loving the scales btw, and i saw a painted guy of yours... just awesome :lol:

i'll be keeping my peepers on this

Andy

Since they're Sternguard, how about some dragon-scale cloaks as well? I humbly suggest that the DE Corsair cloak, if attached just below the backpack mounting block, are just about perfect. You'll have to cut it down to get the length right, mind you. But that would fit in with the legs and mark them out even more.

Since they're Sternguard, how about some dragon-scale cloaks as well? I humbly suggest that the DE Corsair cloak, if attached just below the backpack mounting block, are just about perfect. You'll have to cut it down to get the length right, mind you. But that would fit in with the legs and mark them out even more.

Not a bad idea, I'm looking into that.

I've done the other legs, so now all they need is a little tidying up. I've also done their torsos - nothing's quite as manly as a broad, scaly chest.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7157/sternguardwip03webtw1.jpg

Really liking the way the torso and legs are looking!I think they are very nicely sculpted.Maybe on a few you could sculpt where it looks like they have "lizard like feet",like with talons or such.Cant wait to see more.

Archived