What do you fear?

Captain Malachi

Right, I know I should be working on the review, but something occured to me earlier that I'm curious about. What single model do you fear the most when playing as your daemons? It can be from any army, any at all. Mine really has to be the land raider crusader, all those shots combined with AV14 all round make my daemons sad ;) So what about you?

Land Raider Crusader. We've nothing that can really touch it outside of MCs, and Fiends can glance it. It's built to mow down infantry, and carries a nasty CC cargo. AND, assault cannon/multi-melta can harm our bigger boys.

Monoliths...kill the necrons. We touch them in CC and they should disappear.

Ironclad Dreadnoughts are pretty much only harmable by MCs and the Soul Grinder, and with I4, 3-4 attacks at S10 and +1 to the damage table roll? Oh, he'll probably nail Mr. Grinder.

The other thing to hate is skimmers that can haul 12". Depending on my army, I'd just cry on seeing mechanized Eldar. Sure, we can hit that juicy AV10..if we can catch it when it's doing less than 12" a turn.

Mech lists are a pain - especially Eldar and Tau, given the skimmer nature. With other tanks you can DS close and try and force them to either Tank shock through you - leaving them in assault range or back up into a corner.

Oh, and DE would be a nightmare... they make normal Eldar look easy with their 12" move, pump fire into you from Open Tops, and sickeningly high I on the assualt... out the open top. Yeah, a tooled out Dracon, Wyches and a Raider would make me cry.

The Land Raider is a scary prospect.

Any mech army gives Daemon armies fits. They have the mobility to take advantage of our piecemeal deployment, can hide in their transports to avoid assaults, and have lots of nasty vehicles we have problems getting through.

Of special note is a shooty DE Raider army. They look harmless on paper, but with Nightshields and fast skimmer movement they can cross the board in a blink of an eye with cover and our already short-ranged weapons have 12" taken away from them. So much for bolt then. Combat is the only way to reach them and we have very few units that can catch a Raider, none actually. Bait and switch all the while blasting us with splinter cannons, shredders, disintegrators and dark lances. It is painful.

A properly tooled Daemonhunters list is brutal. Sanctuary herds our army into killing zones out of fear of even touching the bubble of doom. Fateweaver's bonus is largely negated by psycannons and incinerators, Force Weapons that still insta-pop, and the horrid Mystics of death.

Any army that can spread out in DS defense to keep us from getting in close. I'm talking a Marine army castled up wagon train style with infiltrating scouts to spread out and keep us from entering at the right places.

I wouldn't worry as much about finding a tweaked-out DH army (with all the specific anti-daemon gear, at least) as I would the allied mystics, heavy bolters, and psycannon(s) that might show up.

I think I'd just cry and give up vs. a shooty DE list. No way to catch them, no way to kill them. You get maybe one shot with a shooty unit when they come in, and there's no way to drag down enough of the army to make it close to even.

I'm not as worried about an army spreading out, as they're usually stuck in a drop zone somewhere. The most ground I think someone could cover would be footslogging orks in Dawn of War, since they can deploy two mobs on their side, and spread out. Still leaves us a good chunk of the board, and leaves them spread out where we can play the focus-our-force game against them.

Now, someone properly castling...like, say, the aforementioned Rhinos circling up? Horrible, because even our shooting doesn't do a lot.

I'd worry a bit more about getting first turn vs. an army like ours, that enters either largely or wholly via deep strike. Drop-pod heavy marines strikes me as an example, and Eldar can pull of something similar by taking mechanized troops and an Autarch or two for the benefit to reserve rolls. Then, the enemy gets to react to us, and skate around at range and shoot us.

I'm not afraid of land raiders one jot...crusaders are even not that scary...

I'm not terribly worried about DE shooting...I'm playing them this week, so watch for my Friday batrep update!

What I hate/fear most are Orks. They put out such ridiculous amounts of firepower on top of all models they have getting an insane amount of attacks. They throw so many dice at you whether from shooting or CC you simply don't have a chance.

Eldar and Tau skimmers (you know, the ones with an appreciable armor value) I might find scary...

Necron Destroyers! Impossible to catch, lots of high strength shots, long range. A very good daemon-killing unit.

I thought I posted this but the interwebs must have ate it.

I'm afraid of the lowly Whirlwind. Its cheap but it can lay waste to our infantry really fast, especially since we're coming in in a deepstrike formation. Enough of these will neuter most any squad really fast and 3 of them is the same price as a single LRC so its not like its a huge point sink either.

Leaving our Soulgrinders and MCs all alone without support is a good way to get them focus fired fast.

@Saehawk: My fear (for lack of a better word) of crusaders only applies to my balanced army, my daemonzilla army isn't scared of them at all, but surely you can agree that they can be pretty nasty to our troops? As for destroyers, I would have though we could shoot them down quite easily with horrors and the like, though I'll admit I've never actually had them used against me. Oh, and what does "OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS" mean?

@Minigun: Never really thought about whirlies, though you make a point, but a few bolts should handle it right?

@Minigun: Never really thought about whirlies, though you make a point, but a few bolts should handle it right?

Yeah if you can draw LOS to it, as its probably parked behind some terrain.

But for Khorne/Slaanesh, getting wounded on 3's and 2's and having to rely on tha 5++ isn't going to keep you alive too long.

It means:

"I'm a mod." <_<

Crusaders, even rolling well, won't cause that many wounds, and I get to save against all of them. When the juiciest targets have a 4+ save due to cover or otherwise, I'm not too worried. Destroyers are deadly, especially in objective games. In that game I posted a couple weeks ago, I lost what, like 14 models total? And that was due to ridiculously poor saving on my part. Being a fearless scoring unit, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Destroyers, however, can stay at a comfortable 30" away or so, popping off 15 or so BS4, S6 shots a turn. From one good unit. If there are two, which most Necron players I know use...don't even bother. Sure you can deepstrike next to them...and then watch as they turboboost 24" away. Shoot them? Flamers, maybe. S4 to T5 doesn't cause enough wounds, and what with a 3+ save and WWB rolls...

Hadn't thought about Destroyers...

Yeah, file them under the list of 'things we're just not gonna catch.' Our best charge range in a single turn is 19-24" with Fiends and some of the fast attack choices, and that's subject to intervening terrain.

This is where the LoC comes in useful :lol: He has a 36" threat range. (ok, yes, it is only one shot, but at least he can do something)

A LoC is never useful :P

Destroyers don't seem like that big a deal, especially when the rest of the army is delicious fodder. If you can't catch them, Phase them out. Or try the Slaaneshi ping pong (30" for a Keeper, 36" for a Fiend), lob some phlegm their way, or use speedy units to chase. They can go 24" in 1 turn, but they aren't shooting.

Archived