Razorback loadout

tedwin183

I am considering buying a razorback to go along with my rhinos. I realized I am not sure if I really WANT to bring a razorback over just another rhino. Yes, I combat squad and typically bring 5 of the more cc oriented models up with a rhino and leave the HW and 4 guys back. I know there are benefits of bringing them in a razorback vs. a rhino...but I just don't see them. Also, IF I were to bring a razorback, what is generally the top weapon of choice? I can't see spending the points on a lascannon that is riding on top of an AV11 vehicle. However, a 5 point TL HB sounds pretty nice. Or perhaps I'll just start implementing drop pods into my army, I don't know. Please weigh in.

Keep it cheap and cheerful mostly, with just HBs. Sometimes a Storm Bolter.

Occasionally use Heavy Flamers, when expecting dense terrain.

Other options are too likely to get killed on a RB chassis.

I've rolled with 2 Lascannon/Plasmagun Razorbacks since 2nd Edition, and my advice is to avoid buying a gun that costs as much as the vehicle. Spending almost 100 points on an AV11 vehicle just doesn't make much sense, unless your army has a bunch of stuff that WILL draw fire instead... like two Vindicators or two Land Raiders. That's the only thing that keeps my Las/plas Razors alive.

If you do buy a big gun, what you really have is a light tank that just happens to have a transport capacity. Most of the time, you'll be better of not transporting anything, or just using a Rhino.

Ehhh, don't get me wrong, the light tank option is there, and is very useful in certain contexts. But they tend to be best deployed in heavy terrain (Hence why the Flamers are good). 'Dozer blades are also very advantageous for a Razorback.

The Assault Cannon is a scary weapon, so it tends to get prioritised by the enemy. The Lascannons are a bit too open field for me - I'd much rather have the option to take a Multi-Melta.

Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter only.

There are more cost efficient ways to get virtually everything else in the army, or at least the purpose it serves (almost always in the form of a landspeeder), and there is an inherent conflict between moving the Razorback as fast as possible to deploy your squads and slowing down to shoot that I don't like. It doesn't have machine spirit, after all.

However, if you know you are going to combat squad your tactical squad, and you want the extra TL-HB for 5 points, that's not a bad trade. Even firing it once in a game means it was a better buy than a Rhino at that point, usually, so I'm less concerned in that context. Anything else and you are paying a lot of points for something slower than a landspeeder that won't shoot as often because it's a transport.

See, that was my sentiment with the whole thing. I am using it primarily as a means to get my combat squad up to the front lines quickly and safely. I just can't buy into making an AV11 vehicle a weapons platform. The HB for 5 points is great...but seriously anything besides that is going to be prioritized and completely destroyed within a couple of turns. I may just end up with another rhino in the end.

At 40 points, an AV11/10 rolling weapons platform with the capability of embarking either a combat squad or 60% of your full squad as an 'escape pod' when under fire is remarkably good value.

The Heavy Flamer option is very very good for weakening Infantry enough for a Combat Squad of Tactical Marines to clear almost any non-PA Troop type out.

I use the razorback in my Dark Angels list. The loadout is twin-linked heavy bolter/w storm bolter, dozor blade. I have found this layout is good when sofening up the enemeis. It lives much longer than with lascannons/assault cannon/las-plas.

I can get my troops up to the enemies and do max damage I can. Just my two cents worth.

Archived