Space Hulk

paulson games

As it's nearly impossible to find I decided to build myself a copy of the space hulk game, but this will be no cheap copy. The game tiles along with 4th ed kill team rules were posted a while back on the GW site but now they are hidden deep in the bowels of the Austraila sever and who knows when they'll be torn down. The tiles look alright but I knew I could do better, faster, stronger, I have the technology, so let's build it!

I'm in the process of reconstructing all the various tiles, including those from deathwing and genestealer which GW did not post. Using photoshop I've doctored up game tiles with stock art files I purchased, but needed some redesign, when completed they will be well suited for game play for a variety of sci-fi games including space hulk. It will allow for a table to be constructed that will work with the current 40mm based terminators. I wanted to use some of the GW imagry and chapter icons but am staying away from that due to copyright and their legal team being a bunch of world class ++deleated++. I'm pretty happy with the look and have completed versions that will function as tiles from space hulk 1st ed.

I'll be using a high end laser printed and then attaching everything either to foam core, or press board depending on how ambitious I feel. Also I may magnetize the ends of the pieces so they lock together tightly.

I'll also be constructing tokens that will function as blips and makers etc. Once everything is done I'll be posting all the files up as a PDF available through my website.

Here's a sample of a couple tile images:

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/Untitled-1.jpghttp://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/Untitled-2.jpghttp://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/Untitled-3.jpg

I'll also be making the PDF layout so it can be made into a 3-D board with optional wall pieces inluded.

For the peices I'll be using the standard GW terminators and genestealers, of course making the terminators extra cool with lots of bits and custom work. They are going to be fully magnetized so I can change weapons and even switch torsos. I'm waiting on the smaller magnets to arrive so I can attach the arms but I've already gotten magnets in the waist of full full squads. They turn at the waist and can come apart if desired but are held in place very firmly by the magnet. It will make painting the models a lot easy as I can take them apart and reassemble them at will.

Keeping in the theme of classic space hulk they will be deathwing, here's a WIP shot of the captain and another termie:

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/darkangel.jpg

Down the road the ultimate plan is to build a full board of Hirst art molded pieces but in the mean time this board will be serving me well. :)

=D THIS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Usi is a Space Hulk fiend ^.^

Can't wait to see how this pans out, maybe you would be interested in an expanded rule set I've been working on for um... too long >.>;

The floor sections look very spiffy, I've been using the Space Crusade boards for bigger fighting areas, are you considering making any clustered room sections?

Keep it up!

Usi :mellow:

Some of the deathwing and genestealer rooms are 5x5, which is pretty huge for space hulk. The tiles I can arrange to make a board as large as I want, there's only 4 floor pieces that make up all of the room sections so if you look very closely you can see the repetition. If there's enough interest I may make some larger rooms and more complex pieces. At some point I want to do a pieces for the inside of a hive with all sorts of living junk all over. The current mission is to crank out the core pieces, then I'll have time to do custom pieces and add individual details to them like rust spots lighting effects etc.

This is about 5 hrs of work so far, but following pieces will go much faster as the base room size and borders are done now and it's simple cut and paste from here out.

I'll be glad to take a look at any rules and missions you have, right now I'm sorting through everything from the spacehulk bible, 1st and 2nd ed fan missions etc to get a workable mass I can stick into a downloadable pdf. If anyone has scans or write ups from the various old white dwarfs please let me know as those are very difficult to find.

For the time being the hallways all have the hazard striping, and rooms are outlined by the drainage grates. I have a 3rd hallway design that has drainage grates insteadof hazard striping, with the large center grate as well but I may re-work the pieces as it looks overly dark. I know hulk is a dark gritty game but the board needs to be a bit lighter or you start losing the ability to see where the grids are.

The champin torso was a very easy conversion, I followed the design they had for making adding templar tabards. Trim off the pegs on the torso, then on the terminator body trim the rounded edge down so that the front piece can sit flush, there's almost not gap at all if you do it right.

In order to get the head to fit I used a dremel tool to carve out some of the area under the neck, If you only have a regular hobby knife you can do it before attaching the chest pieces. That gave the robed head a bit more room to fit, a regular terminator head won't need any additional room. Then I just chopped off the back of the hood and smoothed down the sides until it fit.

This is great! I was looking to buy Space Hulk on e-bay (just picked up Space crusade for pennys)

I love the wall idea for the Space hulk - I saw the GW site when it was up

also liking the magnet idea, they will be like poseable mini/action figures.

One of the minor issues I'm dwelling on is the final design of the wall structure. The simplest and easiest way to make the wall would be straight walls that run 90 degrees to the floor sections. The second option is to make sloped walls that lean out at the top away from the tile with a 45 degree slope, that way it allows extra room for handling the figures. Third option is a combination of sloped and straight walls. The downside to the later options is that the wall sections will need to be longer and it will require extra foam board for construction. (probably twice the amount that the normal walls would use)

Here would be the various wall designs seen from the end

http://www.paulsongames.instantecom.net/i/warhammer/hulkwall.jpg

Any thoughts/preferences?

I also started working on the deathwing tiles today, they have more of a blue tint to them and differant edging for the hall sections. The idea was to have the expasnion peices represent differant levels of the hulk, the original hulk peice form the command bridge area which is brighter and has the yellow hazards, the deathwing pieces more blue with more drainage grating which would be the weapons and crew areas of the ship. Then the genestealer pieces would probably be more metal based and grating with red hazards as it'd be the engine and power plant areas of the ship.

I downloaded the rules for space crusade and the tile set so I may experiement with some of those pieces as well.

I'd suggest kinked walls, giving a U section to a corridor. Note that your limiting factor is how these meet up with room tiles - some may need straight walls. If you have access to a 3d modelling package, a papercraft convertor like pepakura can help you make templates.

Wow that's a good idea I hadn't even considered looking for a 3-d paper modeler. I was originally a graphic arts major in college so I was kinda doing it old school taking measurements by hand and then mocking up pieces in photoshiop. A 3-d designer willd definately help speed up the process. Getting the rooms to mesh shouldn't be hard I can do a wrap around art piece that'll make the transition.

Archived