Venerable Dreadnought

HERO

Do you guys find yourselves using the Venerable Dreadnought often?

I tend to use mine for Drop Pod assault variants only. I try and keep it as cheap as possible with Extra Armor, Heavy Flamer and Multi-Melta. This gives me a close combat beast with WS5, BS5 and a chance at an early game penetrating shot to the rear of a vehicle.

What about you guys?

I'll take them with the same loadout, but I run mine up the middle sort of as a fire magnet. With the re-rolls on the damage chart, it actually becomes quite an annoyance to my opponent.

Do you feel like they justify the extra 60% to point cost? I have 2 dreads that I'm considering using as fire magnets (run, pop smoke, next turn start laying down MM fire) but that's a lot of points.

I just started to run a Ven Dread and yes while they are expensive I am finding it to be a worthwhile investment in points. As I run a Vulkan list I too use the MM arm, but am thinking about switching it up to the Assault Cannon to take better advantage of the BS 5.

I've used the Venerable with standard MM/DCCW+SB setup a few times. I always drop pod it in on the first turn. It attracts fire like nobody's business, allowing everything else to move around unmolested. Well worth the points, in my opinion.

In hindsight, I'd have paid the extra points for the heavy flamer instead of the stormbolter. The stormbolter doesn't pack enough punch to be of any real use. It rarely causes wounds before a charge.

The big debate is whether to run 2x Ven Dreads or 2x Ironclades w/ HKs.

I still think Ven Dreads are amazing because of their high BS and re-rolls on the damage table. I find the re-rolls to be better than the AV13 that the Ironclades offer.

If you are footslogging then I say regular Dread.

If you are Drop Podding then I say Ironclad.

I don't see a role for a Venerable given their expense.

Not even when they have a free BS5 shot at the side armor of a vehicle with their TLMM?

Or even their fire magnet worth of re-rolls on the glancing/pen? The price for a Ironclade + 2x HKs is only a few more than the Ven Dread, but I'm not too fond of Str 8 and a 6" Melta for Anti-Armor purposes. But that's just me I guess.

They don't have a twin linked Multi-Melta unless you take Vulkan. It's not a major point as they hit on a 2+ with BS5, but you don't get a re-roll for the 1 in 6 shots that will miss.

I agree that they are marginally better on the Turn that they land for popping a Heavy Tank, but after that I would be more scared of an Ironclad running through my lines with the extra Attack, Siesmic Hammer, Move Through Cover and unable to be hurt by Krak Grenades.

An Ironclad is actually 10pts cheaper too even with 2 Hunter Killers.

For Drop Pod purposes I don't really see it as a close call between the two, Ironclads all the way!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm surprised no has mentioned this, but you can increase the survivability of any dread by giving him a Tech-marine/Servitor "bodyguard", for repairing your immobilizations and weapon destroyed results. Since they all have the same movement rate, they can stick together and help each other out.

Archived