a question about Icons

Navigator

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Hey all, as some of you maybe aware I'm currently making my own bunch of Renegade marines, Here . How theres 2 things I love about the CSM list and I mean to make full use of them, auto cannons, and icons.

My modelling brain has moved on to Icons, I'm thinking every unit will carry some sort of icon depending on their task, khorne for raptors, nurgle for holding units etc, which leds me to my question, for gaming and tourney sense, what justifies an Icon?

Does it have to be a marine carrying a big pole?

Can it be a Back Banner?

Can it be some sort of odd item? ( like a fetish)

Thanks for any help, oh and I'll be updating my army topic soon, yey!

Nav

i use poles but don't glue the icons on, instead paint as many icons as you've got and use the little clear tubes you get on the end of your brushes, cut them to size and glue them to the back of your icons. then you can just swap them about whenever you need to :D

I've use the WFB chaos warrior banner toppers mounted on the backpacks of my Icon Bearers. I really prefer the hands free aspect of this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/EasyEight/40K/Finished%20Chaos/chaosicon.jpg

I tend to like icons on poles because they give me conversion options, especially in the old boxes where you'd get only two sets of BP/CCW arms and 3 sets of bolter arms per 4-man sprue. So you'd end up having to convert for a banner pole icon bearer, who would usually end up with either his CCW out or holding his bolter True Grit style.

Usually one of the more chaosey WFB boxes (goblins, saurus, chaos marauders) will provide more hands with spears to make banner poles out of than any one chaos army will ever need.

All this having been said, its not a requirement. You can have your icons being backpack mounted or done some other way if you like.

I don't use trophy racks at all, so I tend to just give them back banners like you'd find on loyalist termies.

Although there's something to be said with having a termie carrying a "counts as power weapon" icon in its power fist. Especially since GW doesn't bother to include enough power weapons for a full squad in its boxes ;)

For Icon....

Me peronial I use the Back pack banner from the Tactical Marines from the Space Marine kit. Just so I can free hand paint my own icon's, also to write a few message toward my oppent in chaos ruin.

Other than that as show there you can use the Icon from the chaos space marine spure ether hold like a banner or have it on a back pack (check out Christain Bryne brillaint Black Legion army from the White Dwarf). Or the chaos icon from the Warhammer Fantasy range.

Or you could alway have trophies/head with say mark of Khorne painted onto it, or have three head fourm the Mark of Nurgle. Tophies to mock your oppent & there armies that you play that your local store/gaming mates.

Ip

Archived