A close combat question

Rogue

Hello.

I was playing a game this week, and we hit on a question we can't figure. In the end we diced for it, but it'd be great if we could get a solution.

He had a warboss IC attached to a mob of boys. I charged them with an assault squad. He charged me with another mob. (I realise that the tactical side of this question doesn't make me look good, but let's ignore that.)

My assault squad finishes off the first mob, the one with the warboss attached, but the boss survives. The second mob are in contact with the remainder of the squad (about 5-6 marines). The warboss is left in base contact with only one marine. He attacks last, causing 3 wounds. What happens next?

part one

a: only the marine in base contact dies

b: up to three marines within 2" of the boss die

c: up to three marines within 2" of anyone in this combat die

part two

a: the warboss (no longer in base contact with anyone) is still engaged in the combat

b: he isn't

Part one was the vexing bit, as the rules seem to say that ICs only fight when in base contact, but this seems to limit their effectiveness.

Anyway, any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

WArboss kills as many as he can kill. Up to 3 marines anywhere in the squad die. Anyone in the squad can die to him, but only those in base or within 2 inches can fight him back.

part one

a: only the marine in base contact dies

b: up to three marines within 2" of the boss die

c: up to three marines within 2" of anyone in this combat die

It's d: any model in the squad he attacked are potential casualties. Check page 39, "Allocating Wounds" in the BRB. There is no 2" kill zone anymore as there was in 4th.

An IC can only make attacks if he is in base contact. But if he makes his attacks, all models in the unit he is attacking can be wounded.

part two

a: the warboss (no longer in base contact with anyone) is still engaged in the combat

b: he isn't

The answer is a. See page 40, "Pile In" in the BRB. Only if BOTH sides' pile in moves would be insufficient to make any contact between the models (so they are more than 12" apart or the way is awkwardly obstructed) the units that can not make contact with an enemy are not considered in combat anymore and make a consolidation move instead.

Archived