Sanguinary Guards - akaranseth p.8

akaranseth

As much as I love it, are you sure that this is a legal model? I don't think you can put a steed with a model in terminator armor.

It is legal for either the Open Category or Warhammer 40,000 Large Monster (or Diorama if paired with another model).

^_^

I'm not sure that that is the point of the model. I think the point is to have a REALLY FREAKING COOL mini, and akaranseth is doing an AMAZING job of that.

keep up the great work!

BLARGAG!!!

:) Now that's a fantastic conversion idea, kudos!

I was actually considering using the Zhufor model as the basis for my Word Bearers Coryphaus model, with some hefty conversion work I don't doubt. You've reinforced how fantastic the model is in my eyes! ^_^

I think all of you did a splendid job of missing the point. I read the OP just like everyone else.

My point was that, as he had said that he doesn't play the game often and may or may not know the ins and outs of the current edition of the codex, to inform him that this wasn't a legal combination. That way he isn't surprised when he keeps going and spends lord knows how much time on the model and proudly goes to the local store to play and plops it down and then has someone inform him that he can't actually do that, at least not WSIWYG. It would be a terrible shame if that happened simply because nobody told him. I could have made a just "wowz such a cool model omg" post like everybody else but felt it would be more helpful to bring up something worth mentioning rather than repeating the same flat praise as everybody else. The fact that the model kicks serious butt isn't even in question.

As somebody else mentioned, you can try to fudge your way around it....either by telling your opponent to ignore it or by something more creative.

I would actually recommend to the OP to work a backstory into the model and equipment and field it as a demon-prince with a mark of khorne. It would be much cheaper than an actual lord with the mount, and you can't fit a guy on a steed into a transport anyway so the choice is to have a bodyguard squad slowly footslogging with him across the field, or to leave him by himself (in which case he dies to the first str 8 gun that shoots him).

As a demon prince: Instead of calling it a normal terminator suit and a normal mount, he's got special set of armor and a special mount granted to him by Khorne (or found or salvaged or etc.) which together function to grant the chaos lord +1 WS, +2 STR, +1 T, +1W, +1A, Monstrous Creature (carves through infantry and tanks alike with that magic axe!) and Eternal Warrior. All those stats are Khorne-related anyway, and losing the IC thing doesn't matter much. If anyone complained you could point out that the Witch Hunters Inquisitor Karamazov and his Throne of Judgment work in exactly the same way.

In fact you could even buy the "wings" upgrade to represent the fact that he's on a Juggernaut!

Hope that helps if you ever get to play one of your rare games akaranseth. Keep up the good work.

I am gonna stop you all right here and now...! I know that this model is not legal in terms of playability. But the fact is that it is being done for the Monster and Rider category for the French Golden Demons in April. This model will never see play, it will never be put on a table among an army unless the future buyer does it but since most of my clients are collectors, I highly doubt it. So the model was conceived for the cool factor, not as per the rules. A regular power armour space marine would have looked a bit small on the juggernaut and would have had less impact than the Zhufor model which is just an incredible model. So here we go. No need to argue on these details anymore!

So the paint job has been started:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/akaranseth/DSC_0039.jpg

More info and step by step on my blog!

Cheers!

The cape was done following the usual sculpting technique. I press flat a blob of green stuff on flat surface powdered with baby powder. Cut the form I needed which I then pose on the model. Let it dry. Then adding strings of green stuff I was able to build the folds.

The cape was done following the usual sculpting technique. I press flat a blob of green stuff on flat surface powdered with baby powder. Cut the form I needed which I then pose on the model. Let it dry. Then adding strings of green stuff I was able to build the folds.

I should be in Toronto and Chicago as well. I'll also be at GENCON giving quite a few classes and entering Privateer Press contest as well.

I'll see you in Toronto and Chicago. Are you doing any classes there?

We are in discussion at the moment for the format of classes at Toronto and then we will deal with Chicago! I'll give more information on my blog and on the Team Montreal Facebook page as soon as we have them.

I'll see you in Toronto and Chicago. Are you doing any classes there?

We are in discussion at the moment for the format of classes at Toronto and then we will deal with Chicago! I'll give more information on my blog and on the Team Montreal Facebook page as soon as we have them.

Great news! ;)

I can't wait!

Alright, now back to painting for you!

Okay, enough pleasantries! You're here of some constructive criticism so I'll have to give out some.

First, I've read your blog posts on this model. I don't understand your colour choices. I get the blue for shadowing, I get the red steps, I don't understand the colours between those though--can you explain?

And the criticism part: The way the model is holding the axe doesn't seem right. It is very static on a dynamic model and creates disharmony--but that might just be the angle of the pictures (that and it doesn't line up properly).

The only thing I don't like is the axe arm. I think it should be lowered and at his side in a more relaxed pose if you're going to keep the bolter arm upright. If not I'd lower the bolter arm and tilt his head in the direction the axe arm is indicating. Otherwise the model has that goofy old school Marine feel with both arms raise up and outwards like the scene from Platoon..

First, I've read your blog posts on this model. I don't understand your colour choices. I get the blue for shadowing, I get the red steps, I don't understand the colours between those though--can you explain?

And the criticism part: The way the model is holding the axe doesn't seem right. It is very static on a dynamic model and creates disharmony--but that might just be the angle of the pictures (that and it doesn't line up properly).

For the colors thing, let say it is still experimental. I've seen one other painter do it with brush to incredible results and I think it can be fairly well reproduced witn an airbrush. The goal is to actually paint the color nuances first and then apply a really thinned down coat of your base color giving your highlight, shadows and nuances without too much difficulty. Obviously everything need to be retouched after for finition.As you said the blue is for shadows. The yellow and white are for highlights. Technically if the red had been diluted enought the yellow and white would have came out more from under the red giving it an orange or pink felling in the desired areas.

For the axe not lining up properly you are totally right. It is fine on every other angle except this one. I'll have to fix it.

Brother Cassern: It is in the attitude of come and get me! The angle of the last picture doesn't show it much though I admit.

The goal is to actually paint the color nuances first and then apply a really thinned down coat of your base color giving your highlight, shadows and nuances without too much difficulty. Obviously everything need to be retouched after for finition.As you said the blue is for shadows. The yellow and white are for highlights. Technically if the red had been diluted enought the yellow and white would have came out more from under the red giving it an orange or pink felling in the desired areas.

Ahhh... okay, that makes complete sense! I've never considered applying highlights like that--this really opens up a lot of techniques. Thanks.

Back from a flu episode now I can get back to work! So the paint itself hasn't much improved. I simply gave a base coat on the metallic part under the juggernaut with a heavy coat of dabab black. The wash is simply use to rapidly define every part of this large and highly detailed metallic area.

Otherwise here is the base that need to be filled with skulls and other bones ;)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/akaranseth/DSC_0042.jpg

Archived