Inventing stuff

Tutteman

Now correct me if I'm wrong, which is pretty possible, but the Ad Mech don't allow much invention on the basis that all knowledge already exists somewhere. But if all knowledge is in existence, why does that stop anyone from re-creating it without the original design. I'm assuming that there is a perfectly "reasonably" answer along the lines of religion, for example it has to come from an STC or it is "unholy"

Thanks in advance for the info, it's really annoying me.

I would geuss it's something to do with the Omnissiah and AdMech religious Voodoo mumbo jumbo. We've got the Emperor they have some computer on mars or a Ctan or the tyranid hivemind I hear a lot of made up crap about the Omnissiah.

eh, it depends on the hierarchy of the admech.

as you advance through the admech hierarchy, it becomes less an issue of ignorant (we don't know), and more of ignorant (we choose not to know). as the mechanicus operates as a symbiotic-empire within the imperium, while they could probably get along without the Imperials, they needs them for raw materials and meatshields in case their forgeworlds can't hold their own. in exchange for these services and goods they maintain all the things imperials need/use.

the lowly tech adept/priest whose in charge of maintaining most simple weapons, devices, etc used by the imperium doesn't know much aside from his rote learning, memorizing the basics through the little 'prayers' and 'hymns' recited while they preform their designated tasks. kind like how someone might teach a child how to tie their shoes by adding a little song to go along with it.

but as you get into the upper ranks, arch-magi seem to have broader accesses and understanding as to how things work, and they get all kinds of perks and veneration because there are so few of them. it comes down to the "knowledge is power" quote that's so fitting for the 40k universe. the more you know, the greater the power, the fewer people that know such things, the greater your influence becomes. so you go and create different levels of control and influence, you have your secret clubs, with your secret languages to maintain your monopoly of control.

but lets say someone steps in with this idea, that you didn't think of, and it's a really good idea, but that idea threatens your established stakes in power. now, you can either sneak in and grab that person, enlisting them within your own ranks, in exchange for hush-funds and perks to keep coming up with ideas, but to limit who they talk to; or you spirit their ideas away and have them executed them as 'heretics' because they threaten your power.

Can't find source of fluff right now...at work...but...

Occasionally there are new ideas or inventions, or re-discovery of old ideas. These are submitted to the ad-mech for rulings on compliance and heresy. Those ideas or tech that are accepted are then put through a rigorous testing process often lasting several centuries. If the tech or ideas are deemed non-heretical or beneficient, they are slowly leaked out to the empire, usually through those asartes chapters that are closest to mars. It can take upwards of 400 to 600 years for even the slighest new development in tech to reach the broader empire, such as a new alloy for knife blades.

I would just like ot point out another obvious case in point - Power Armour. Its not a STC pattern, and is in fact being developed, tested and upgraded. However it is a very very slow process. Mk 8 is only relatively recently rolling out and Mk 7 wasnt too far from being introduced after the Heresy...

Others include, Predator Annihalator (developed in the field by SW's), Crusader (developed by BT's) and Redeemer...

• 1 month later...

i thinks hes right. the admech is hugely stunted by a reliance on the past, and there is so much caution to not make a mistake, that there is nothing more learnt.

the only races that have got this right are the tau and the orks, and in th case of the orks it was probably an accident.

if this carries on, then we'll end up like the eldar, an extinct race, to heavily stuck to past glories to make present ones.

but how to get out of the system without destroying the imperuim?

not sure if im right though, knowing about as much of the admech as i do about lobsters.

erik..

• 1 month later...
I would just like ot point out another obvious case in point - Power Armour. Its not a STC pattern, and is in fact being developed, tested and upgraded. However it is a very very slow process. Mk 8 is only relatively recently rolling out and Mk 7 wasnt too far from being introduced after the Heresy...

Others include, Predator Annihalator (developed in the field by SW's), Crusader (developed by BT's) and Redeemer...

They are variants of models based off of STC's, so they are "bearable". Also marines are given a little bit more freedom for tinkering, as most "variant" models you read about where made by SM's, especcially on land raiders.

They are variants of models based off of STC's, so they are "bearable". Also marines are given a little bit more freedom for tinkering, as most "variant" models you read about where made by SM's, especcially on land raiders.

Plus the AdMech isn't going to look great if the Space Marines choose to carry on using the variants in opposition to the AdMech. I can't help but wonder if they didn't choose to sanction the variants in order to save face.

Plus the AdMech isn't going to look great if the Space Marines choose to carry on using the variants in opposition to the AdMech. I can't help but wonder if they didn't choose to sanction the variants in order to save face.

Are you going to qeustion our design, techmagos? Good now build it! :(

Archived