Grey Knights as Adeptus Custodes

Banville

Hey there ladies and gents, I've been playing 40K for years now, fairly competitively and successfully, my two armies of choice being Sallies and Tau. However I've recently become quite smitten with the imagery surrounding the Adeptus Custodes and have embarked on the creation of a 30K Custodes Intervention Force of 2000 points. I have been reliably informed that, rules wise, the Grey Knights are the closest I'll legally get to a workable and tournament-acceptable Custodes rules set. So I went out and merrily purchased the DH Codex. From it's arcane depths I've dredged the beginnings of an army list but also one or two questions.

The first question is a query as to whether or not GK Landraiders have Power of the Machine Spirit? If so which one? Secondly do GK Force weapons (due to the age of the Codex) still have the ability to circumvent Eternal Warrior? Thirdly can anyone see a way to legally include a Space Marine bike squad (modelled to represent jetbikes) in an army that includes Grey Knights?

Here's the list at present, though I'm still ironing out some quirks.

Grand Master with Unguents of Warding

4-Termie Retinue, Psycannon.

2 Units of 10 GK with an Incinerator in each - 2 Rhinos

1 Squad of 10 Gk with 2 Psycannons

Landraider

Dread with TLLC

Dread with TLLC

Remember this is an Adeptus Custodes Force so inclusions of Storm Troopers etc will go against the whole purpose. Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful.

The first question is a query as to whether or not GK Landraiders have Power of the Machine Spirit? If so which one? Secondly do GK Force weapons (due to the age of the Codex) still have the ability to circumvent Eternal Warrior? Thirdly can anyone see a way to legally include a Space Marine bike squad (modelled to represent jetbikes) in an army that includes Grey Knights?

To the first, they do if you use the Forgeworld rules in Imperial Armour 2. I don't think they are the updated POTMS rules, but it's better than nothing. However, since they are Forgeworld rules they are opponent's permission only.

To the second, yes. GK force weapons do not "cause Instant Death", they "remove all wounds". Therefore by RAW Instant Death protection is useless against them since they aren't causing Instant Death in the first place.

To the third, not really (Apoc excluded). You would either have to ditch the Grey Knights and ally in SMs, or use SMs as the parent list in which case your numbers of GKs are severly cut down.

And in addition to the above post about GKs not having access to transports, because our codex is so old the Dedicated Transport rules still apply. That means if you want your GKs to ride around, they will either have to use a Heavy Support Land Raider or you will have to ally in IG when the new codex comes out and buy them Chimeras (which will then not be Dedicated Transports and so the GKs can use them).

To the second, yes. GK force weapons do not "cause Instant Death", they "remove all wounds". Therefore by RAW Instant Death protection is useless against them since they aren't causing Instant Death in the first place.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just made my day sir!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta love that codex over-ride rule! i almost fell down the stairs running for my codex to check it, I never bothered to do so. Slain outright is not Instant Death! Bye- Bye Bloodthirster Problems.

Well it is instant death as death can only happened once and u never "die" a long time u just suffer. It is just not covered by the instant death rule, there´s a difference here B)

Dilgar Posted Today, 10:21 AM

Well it is instant death as death can only happened once and u never "die" a long time u just suffer. It is just not covered by the instant death rule, there´s a difference here :rolleyes:

It makes all the difference though. It's instant death, not Instant Death. :D

Archived