Demons and IG/Tanks

Ryjak

I've had this idea for a long time, of building an army that was half demons and half Imperial Guard, and I was wondering how likely it would be for me to find someone willing to play against 1000 point army with a 500 point Khorne detachment, and a 500 point IG Detachment? If I build it, it would strictly be for the visual aspect. I'd use the standard Khorne demons, because they are the "typical" demons, and for the IG, I'd paint them like the Waffen SS... not sure if I'd want to go with a Lemun Russ detachment or a standard IG Detachment with a bunch of guys and one tank, though.

I figure, if I painted them well, people would want to play against it just for the the feeling of playing DOOM and killing some evil Nazis... What do you think?

Well, I'm doing an army of Daemons and then the Abyssal Crusade - Renegade Guardsmen. Hopefully will have about 5K between them, including 5 superheavies. And 3 Greater Daemons. And Princes. MWHAHAHA!!

Basically, go for it. It's how they're represented in the fluff as well.

Ok, that's two positive responses. Since I would like to actually play pick-up games with it, what kind of units should it include... or NOT include? I don't want people to think I'm trying to "powergame" or "min-max"; I'm just building a cool army.

Pick up games are a no unfortunately, regular opponents may be ok with it, you'll have to ask them, but don't expect to be able to walk in to a store, find a guy and just play. I'd wait 'til the new guard codex comes out before choosing what units to include though, but lots of men is probably best for fluff reasons that I don't have time to go in to.

It's the kind of thing that you NEED to get opponent's permission to play.

IG and Daemon Codexes aren't exactly built to work hand-in-hand, and the resulting army would feel like playing with some kind of melee-capable, drop-troop-oriented Imperial Guard.

In terms of the tabletop, the codexes do a fine job of complimenting the others' weakness; you've suddenly got a daemon army with ranged fire support. Or Guard, with a counterassault element.

There is a bit of precedence for this, though. The Daemonhunters Codex has rules for 'adversaries', where the other force takes some daemons and summons them. Squads carry icons, greater daemons come in from HQs, and such-like.

Still, I see this as something you might get away with when it comes to friendly games, but anyone else might worry about it or refuse to play it.

Depends, honestly, on how much you powergame with it.

I'd probably avoid some of the power-units, and make sure you're organized around a strong theme. Maybe no Bloodcrusher Spam, stick to a single God's troops (or a fluffy combination thereof) and the like.

I'd also avoid picking up too much of Guard aside from some infantry platoons 'til you get a Guard codex in hand.

I'd probably avoid some of the power-units, and make sure you're organized around a strong theme. Maybe no Bloodcrusher Spam, stick to a single God's troops (or a fluffy combination thereof) and the like.

That was my plan. I was thinking of going with a Khorne detachment of just bloodletters and hounds, plus and whatever is considered the "weakest" Khorne HQ choice.

As for the SS portion, the only thing I'm set on is a Lemun Russ to be a Tiger Tank, and probably just fill out the rest with Troop choices and nothing fancy.

The weakest Khorne HQ would probably be a walking herald, but don't make it too weak. And as eyescrossed says, there aren't really any weak Khorne units, they're simply not as amazing as the others :D I guess the weakest Khorne unit would be flesh hounds though, but you could always use furies too, for a bit of speed.

Archived