Of the new hellguns and pistols

SoulReaver296

similarly, the BA/DA have scouts an elites, but on the chart they're troops. See the problem?

Where the units are in the Marines codex force org doesn't necessarily relate to where they end up in the Inquisition codex force org. Dreadnoughts, for example, are Elites yet get mapped to DH/WH Heavy Support.

There's not really a "chart" so to speak. All there is is "HQ: (what units may be included as HQ choices) Elites: (what units may be chosen as elites chocies) Troops: etc"

Basicly, there's just a list of things that can be taken, not a chart. If you could take Space Wolves as allies, then technicly speaking you would have to take their scouts as troops choices instead of elites because Scouts are listed as troops.

funny thing is since I can fully justify my position, I'll try to push for house rules allowing me to ally. I'll just convert each position into what it relates to in the DH codex. IE Dreadys become heavy support. I see no reason this would give me an unfair advantage in any way. When practicing for tourny play though I'll take Black Templars and ally with DH. Or just pure DH.

The ally rules are frustrating, I dont know why it would be hard to just count each unit as what it would be, seems silly to have to adhere so rigidly over semantics. Oh well, its not a big deal in the end. After all my door isn't going to get kicked down in the middle of a house rules game by Jervis.

funny thing is since I can fully justify my position, I'll try to push for house rules allowing me to ally. I'll just convert each position into what it relates to in the DH codex. IE Dreadys become heavy support. I see no reason this would give me an unfair advantage in any way. When practicing for tourny play though I'll take Black Templars and ally with DH. Or just pure DH.

The ally rules are frustrating, I dont know why it would be hard to just count each unit as what it would be, seems silly to have to adhere so rigidly over semantics.

We'll never know exactly why the allying/inducting rules are worded the way they are. But my guess is that it's because the DH and WH codexes came about before there were standalone variant Marine codexes. Before the advent of the BT (and subsequently DA and BA) codexes, Space Marines had just one codex and the variant chapters had a supplement to the Marines codex. SW remain the only Marines army with a supplementary codex that depends on Codex: Space Marines. The induction rules are written to prevent an Inquisition player from playing an Inquisition army that makes use of a "variant" Marines chapter and its unique rules/traits. One presumes that it's for "game balance" reasons, but who really knows.

Like a lot of things, these rules are now quite outdated. There are references to named units that no longer exist, for example, nor were they ever updated to include the existence of the new variant Marine standalone codexes. (Maybe GW never intended for the Inquisition to induct BT, DA, or BA ...? but we'll never really know that, either.)

Good luck with your house-ruling. For friendly games, I can't imagine people would cry too hard about it.

Though it really will be easier to play your variant Marines as the base army and ally in your Inquisitorial bits instead....

Oh well, its not a big deal in the end. After all my door isn't going to get kicked down in the middle of a house rules game by Jervis.

:wacko:

Archived