the inquisition

NIGHT RIPPER

did they not get formed until after the heresy

The Inquisition we would recognise was formed after the Heresy. There may have been one or two previous organizations that were similar (my own guess, don't know how supported by fluff it is) but not on the scale or with the power of the current Inquisiton.

Yea it was formed after the Heresy - Humanity was not very aware of the warp or its perils (chaos gods/daemons) during the Great Crusade, apart from the Emperor. Warp Travel and limited use of Psykers was about all they used. They didnt realise the warp/chaos posed such a major threat. (Well most of them didn't)

For info on the Inquisition see here

Hmm, in the Jaq Draco Trilogy that Black Library recently rereleased, again, as the Inquisition War Trilogy, Draco mentions in his account that the Ordo Malleus was formed before the Emperor was in his golden throne, which would suggest the Ordo Malleus would originate before the end of the Heresy, in terms of the Heresy being the siege of terra. Already, in Flight Of The Eisenstein, there is Malcador hinting very very heavily that the Inquisition will be set up, and from a story point of view in the series it would already be clear to Malcador, the Emperor, Dorn, etc that someone needs to "watch the watchdogs" - the mission of the Ordo Malleus. My guess is that the Ordo Malleus is the origin of the Inquisition, with the other branches coming later - in the pre heresy era the Sisters Of Silence and others essentially do the Witchunters work so there is no need.

Just my two cents :devil:

Archived