Tactics vs IG

cnot19

I am going to play a Guard army in about three weeks. He usually rolls with 3 Leman Russ, troops in chimeras and foot and some heavy weapon squads

I plan on going with

2500 pt battle

List I am considering

4X Khorne Heralds w/ chariot iron hide unholy might 460

5X Blood Crushers fury 210

5X Blood Crushers 200

3X Flamers 105

10X Daemonettes 140

10X Daemonettes 140

10X Horrors w Changling 175

10X Horrors w/Bolt 180

10X Bloodletters 150

4X Nurglings 52

5X Plaguebearers Icon 100

5X Plaguebearers Icon 100

Soulgrinder w tongue 160

Soulgrinder w tongue 160

5X seekers 85

5X Seekers 85

Total 2,502

I have never faced guard before so I am not sure what expect I igured the Heralds would make up for the lack of DPs not sure if I want to go with Soulgrinders against mass lascannon fire. Considering dropping the Daemonettes for more horrors. Any help would be appreciated

isnt the troops choices limit 6. 2 minimum + 4 extra eitherway get rid of the nurglings and thonk of fusing the plaguebearer units since i expect they will get shot too much if the deep strike goes wrong.(just thinking) also make it one unit of 20 daemonettes that brings it down the 5 troops choices then add another troops choice incase you get an objective taking match

Hi

I play guard and one of the worst things you can do is engage the front line troops in CC with your first wave cause it blocks LOS to the troops behind. then deepstrike your second wave in close (using icons so you don't scatter) and follow up the assault. As long as you fight on your terms (ie CC rather than shooting) you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Oh and in CC always try to finish in your opponents turn. sounds obvious but i know a lot of people who never thought of it.

And the FOC is 2 compulsory troops, and then up to an additional 4.

Thanks to everyone for the help

I will definetly put the daemonettes together they are just too fragile otherwise. The reason for all the troops is because I don't have many more elites or Heavy support yet. Ending the CC in the opponents turn is a very good thing to do, just sometimes it is just hard against IG.

Hi

Yeah the Daemonettes'll probably chew through a squad no problem, but as long as you've still got a couple of CC's going on it should stop a lot of his army from getting LOS. Good Luck anyways and let us know how you get on.

Hi

Point for point they are be better, but if he charges his squad of 10 daemonettes against any IG thats 40 attacks at WS4 I6. short of a 50 guy conscript platoon the squad's just going to evaporate (40 attacks, 27 hits, 13 wounds = 9 kills) against WS3 IG. Bloodletters would get 30 attacks, 25 hits, 20 wounds, 20 kills, but a dead squad is still a dead squad. (Can't see that last guy sticking around, can you?)

But the idea is not to kill the squad until AFTER the other guys shooting phase, stopping him from shooting at your units, then in your turn you're free to charge another unit, rinse and repeat.

Demonettes have fleet, which would help them reach assault faster. They also REND, so they could potentially do more damage against vehicles... well, maybe. Bletters can still PEN AV10 rear armor on the charge, and demonettes have possible 12 (3+ 6 + 3) against vehicles.

Lot of the guard people I play, take tons and tons of tanks. So whatever you can do to get close and make em smoke would be good. Soul Grinders could easily kill the vehicles if they can reach them. Winged demon prices, and greater demons also. I think the Bloodthirster is the best vehicle crusher, followed by the keeper of secrets.

Hi

With the new rules for defenders reacting and counter charging it shouldn't be that hard to get 10 into combat, plus with fleet you can run during the turn you land, possibly making out of LOS or into cover, gives you a much better chance of surviving the fact that his whole army is looking down their barrels at you. And even if just 5 do get into combat in the daemon players turn he's not likely to chew through the entire squad which means the IG player won't be able to shoot the unit (or through it). The resulting pile in moves should mean that you finish the combat in the IG players assault phase leaving you to assault another unit, not leaving yourself flat footed in front of an IG gun line.

we were able to get the Gamein today. Mostly everything went well. I won. FLamers killed mass amounts of guardsmen before they died. Having the big units like Fiends and crushers assault multiple units worked well. My soulgrinders got very nice deep strike rolls and were able to mow throw guardsmen and crush two tanks. Daemonettes were ok fleet helps if you have a slower army but bloodcrushers are better IMO.Seekers were ok they might have a place in my army for future games. I did get fried a few heavy flamers but what can you do The heralds were very impressive, it just makes it tougher decision when it comes to picking HQ units.

Thanks to everyone for the help

Archived