Of the follies of not updating old Codexes

Gentlemanloser

While the policy of not updating exact items held in old codexes is lazy, it's internally consistent. If there weren't any ally rules, and all codexes were utterly stand alone.

While we might not like it, it's simple if a GK army has 4+ SS in CC only, while a DA army has 3+ ones. Or the new Marines can use Dedicated Transports on any units, while the BT can't.

You know what to expect, depending on what army you use/face. We might not all like it, but it's consistant.

The problem comes when you can start allying in multiple codexes, each with thier own individual rules. Ignoring mish-mash situations of (for example) having a Deathwing army with 3+ Storm Shields, a GK BC with a Storm Shield that only provides a 4+ (and in CC) and maybe even a SoB with thier own version of the Ss as well, the new Dedicated Transports rules are a great example of this.

Take a DH army with PAGK and IST with Chimera's. Currently, the PAGK would be unable to ride in the Chimera, as the codex rule of Dedicated Transports for thier units only over rides the core book.

But if we take an IG parent list (using the new unreleased 'dex here), and use thier Storm Troopers, and purchase a Dedicated Chimera for them, any allied in GKs would be able to ride in this Transport, as the newer codex won't have the Dedicated restriction the older ones do. While they wohuld be physically unable to enter thier IST Chimera. /Bleh

Getting away from the differencies in identical wargear, not updating core rules for older codexes is just going to throw up more and more cases like this.

All becuase of the Inquisitorial Ally rules.

I try to be lenient here, maintain a light tough, be tolerant of topics that drift offline provided nobody gets bent out of shape about it.

But this topic is pure flamebait. I will not tolerate topics dedicated purely to griping about GW. I had hoped that we had all (myself included) gotten that out of our systems months ago during the brouhaha surrounding the release of 5th edition and new FAQs that accompnied it.

This is the end of it.

gallery_26_548_17134.jpg

Archived