tournament report

kennedy

played a one day, three round tourney this weekend with 16 entrants. winner (not me) had 113 total comp/painting/gaming points. all the rest came in between 50-90. i had 76.i consider myself an average gamer who is competetive but plays for the fun of it.  here is my first attempt at a batrap for you.

my list;  GM, psycannon, psy hood, targeter            

retinue; 4GKT, psycannon            

elite inq. psycannon            

3 warriors - 2 hvyblt, 1 plscan            

2 sage            

1 mystic             

troops;   2 squads of 8 pagk , one with 2 inc,  just w/frags, targ                          

2 squads pf 8 ist. one with 2 grnd, the other with 2 flamers             

2 land raiders w xtra arm                       

my first round against vanilla marines,             

commander with command squad, comp champ, relic blades            

elite term            

4 troops with melta gun and multi melta            

1 dred w/las cc            

2 vindicators   

scenario; capture and control with pitched battle deployment- objectives. he puts his in the middle and off to my right of his deployment zone, i put mine in ruins on right side of my deployment.    table has 2 pieces of dif. terrain running the short way, cutting the center of table into thirds, along with entrenchments in the middle front of both depl zones and a ruined building in the right corner of my zone.  

he wins setup and deploys his dred and one of his vind just to my left of center and his other vind and one of his troops on my right flank, another troop on left flank, one on the objective, and another coming up the middle with his command squad and  trailing terms.

i deploy a lr with my gm/ret on my left hiding behind terrain, the other lr w pagk w/inc on my right behind the other piece of terrain. shooty inq in center entrenchment with flamer ist just to its right and the other ist with grnd in building on my obj.  

turn one; fail to seize first turn.  in the center he moves his troop  forward, along with his troop on the right. thats it.  center vind targets my inq, but scatters onto ist, lose 2. right vind scatters onto nothing. dred misses, or doesnt hurt, my pagk lr. 

my turn; move left flank pagk up and take out only 2 of his troop in front of them.  both raiders move just enough to see their vind, but fail to damage them. inq and his warriors drop a few of center troop, but they stay put.  ist on right drop 2 of his squad on right flank    

turn two; moves everything up except troops on the left and on his objective.  center vind drops my mystic, right one targets my pagk lr but scatters onto my center ist-lost one more. dred hits but doesnt wound gm`s lr. nothing elsemy turn; center is getting hot, with 3 tings coming after my lr (his troop has melta and multimelta), so i decide to go offensive with my gm. i rush his lr up and jump out, same with the lr on my right.  center ist starts to move towards their comrads in the ruins on the right.  shooting- center lr hits but fails to do anything to his vind (not what i had planned). inq drops a few more of his troop in the center as does my pagk on the left. his troop on the right takes some punishment from my pagk that just embarked and also from the ist in the ruins. the lr over there immobilizes that vind.  assaults-squad on right puts a real hurtin on their foes but they stay for more. now in the center i decide to have my gm and ret assault his troop coming up kthe middle but i do so in a way as to also assault his vind, which i manage to pen and remove his cannon. they also wipe out the rest of that melta squad.    

turn three;  moves his command squad and term up, thats it.   his troop on my left flank( which hasnt moved at all) takes a pot shotat my term with his multi melta and drops one. his dred shoots its flamer at my ret, but nothing happens, nothing else to shoot. assaults- we finish the one on the right flank, which i walk through, and i consolidate towards his objective. assaults my gm with his dred and command squad but fails to put his commander in base with me, which proves badlly for him.  my gm goes first and i wipe out all of his command squad except his champion and commander. i divide one of my ret to attack the dred, which he fails to drop, and put the other 2 against the command squad. which i wound the commander and drop the champion, but not before he swings. i found out that the champion can put his attacks,  from his relic blade, on the best person in the squad, which happend to be my gm-OUCH. so he wunds me with all 5 and i fail 3 inv. not what i expected at all.    

turn 4;  moves his dred towards my center lr, his commander and term turn and move towards my pagk on the right flank, hoping to cut them off before i reach his objective. he moves his center vind up and partially blocks the my inq view of all of his guys, smart move.  his squad on his objective shoots and drops 2 of my approaching pagk, and his dred shoots and assaults my lr and drops one of its guns.  thats all he can domy turn;  i moved my pagk on the right a little closer to objective, but didnt shoot so i wouldnt lose assault range due to wound removal. i then assaulted onto the objective and did enough wounds to contest it right as the time for our game came to an end.   result; i had one objective and contested another -- victory daemonhunters--although i did lose a point overall for losing my commander and didnt get one for not killing his

round two; nids- shooty

winged hive tyrant                

4 carnifexes             

3 warriors                   

genestealers                

3 troops of gaunts    

scenario; seize ground , deployment; table quarters , table setup;  ruined buildings in both corners on opposite side, handful of ground level difficult terrain in center, good size ground level difficult terrain in my right corner with a few pieces strewn across he rest of my side.      5 objectives; she wins roll and gets 3.    3 are placed basically in terrain/buildings in the corners, excluding the corner to my immediate left.  one is in the center of the table and the last is between center and the far left corner.      

she wins roll and deploys first.  she chooses opposite left quarter. i get corner to my immediate right.  she deploys the warriors and a squad of qaunts on and around the building with an objective in the far left, another squad of gaunts in next to them. her tyrant and fexes were out front, with her tyrant to my right. she kept her stealers and a gaunt squad in reserve.      i deployed my ist with gren. in terrain on the objective, with the inq in the front center of that terrain. one lr with pagk w/inc on the left and the gm lr in the front center with the other pagk hiding behind it. the other ist hiding behind the left lr.     

first turn; failed to get the initiative again.   she moved all of her big guys forward, and one squad gaunts.  warriors and gaunts on objective stayed put, pretty much all game. she opened fire. a lot of hits on the lrs but no damage. lost a couple of ist hiding behind my left lr. my turn; conceded the two objectives in and near her deployment zone. figured i would focus on the center one and the one to my far right, in the building, and would sit on mine. that would give me 3-2 and a win.  so i figured.   only moved my pagk on the right towards the objective in the building. shooting; both lr`s each took a wound off a fex, as did the plasma cannon in the inq squad.(2 have 5 wounds and 2 have 4).  managed to get a wound on the tyrant (forget how). thats all that was in range.     

turn two; her reserves came in and she put both of them in/near the buildingto my opposite right (the one my pagk were going towards). she moved all of her big stuff forward again, directly towards me.  opened fire - her tyrant took out 1 pagk on my right. again her fexes shot st my lr`s but not a scratch. the ist in the center took another casualty.my turn; moved my pagk on the right, back right to avoid being assaulted by her tyrant and her gaunts and stealers that just came in.  that was it.  shooting; focused on the big bugs again (that is all i could really see)  took a couple more wounds off them and one more off the tyrant.      

turn three;  only moved her fexes and fired again.  this time her tyrant and one fex wiped out my pagk on the right-ouch. but nothing else, whew.my turn; i figured it was time to switch gears, the fexes were getting close and i just lost a scoring unit.  i disembarked both lr`s and sent pagk towards the fexes on the left center and my gm towards the tyrant.  shooting took a couple more wounds off the big ones, finally dropped one . assaults- pagk on the left took out  one fex and then consolidated into the cover in the middle .  gm and ret assaulted the tyrant.(this is where it gets ugly for me. the dice gods are still laughtng)  she and gm both swung simul. . dont remember if she did any wounds or not, but i hit her five times (i am already charging up my nfw), and roll ones and twos - i need fours. my retinue manages to wound her.      

turn 4; moves one fex over to my pagk in cover, shoots and drops one, and then assaults in-we each take a wound.  one fex moves and assaults gms lr and takes left sponson off. gaunts and stealers that were on opposite right objective move in to join assault against gm. here we go again-we swing simul. i lose one in retinue. gm hits twice-rolls a 1 and a 2---uugggghh.  stealers may before that but i dont remember-i was still in shock. then the gaunts swung-either way, the retinue was lost. my turn; lr on left takes another wound off fex that assaulted other lr. inq fails to wound (and kill) same fex.  nothin else to shoot at.  assaults continue; pagk trade another wound with the fex in the center.   the fex destroys my lr .  off to the gm-well, he gets to swing, hits four times and fails to wound again! ! !  thats 11 hits no wounds, not one!!!  he dies.....she consolidates her stealers towards the ist on my objective, her gaunts back towards the objective in the far right corner.      

turn five;  her stealers keep coming, her fex that took out the lr also moves in, and her tyrant flies into cover in the building on the opposite right. assaults; fex trades another wound with my pagk, didnt kill it yet (it had five wounds) still locked.  stealers fleeted and managed to roll just enough to assault my ist in cover.  this is where i got stupid(er). when i moved my guys into the combat, i placed one of them right in front of his fex allowing him to join in.  (as i just read through the assaults in the rule book, i think i got sniped here, because she moved her fex into the assault after i wrapped around, and according to the wording in the rules, the wraparound happens `after` all assaults have been made-my bad)it didnt really matter because her stealers wiped me out first.my turn;  okay , next stupid moves. (i am learning from these) i know it will be the end of the game after my turn ends, but i lapsed, BIG TIME. the remainder of the ist squad that started out behind the lr have flamers. i have 3 or 4 guys left and i am maybe 6 inches away from the objective i just lost. what did i do?  i moved them sideways into position to flame the fex and the stealers instead of moving them up onto the objective where i still could have flamed them from.  i killled all but 3 of the stealers and then i assaulted them. duh.    

needless to say the game ended and i didnt have a single objective or any of the bonus objectives we could do.  all in all -i got massacred.     as a footnote-i was rolling soooo bad that she even started to feel bad for me.  doenst matter, i lost that one.

round three; 

vanilla marines base allied with a radical daemonhunter list         

chaplain, plasma pistol

command squad? or troop choice

10 man troop

5 term

inq

3 acolyte w ss

gun serv.

2 others in ret not sure

3 daemonhosts

2 ist (one in chimera)

whirlwind

predator w/las and hbolt

might of had more, not sure.

scenario; annihilation, deployment; dawn of war i won setup

this won will be short and sweet, i have to get going soon. i can always elaborate on it if you want me to

first turn brought rest of my guys out and then so did he, but surprise he has searchlights. did some damage on my ist. but no vehicle damage.

after that, it was all me. the dice gods made up for last round. i pretty much wiped out everything i shot at.

his term didnt come in until turn three, and his 3 daemonhosts until turn four and the game ended before they could get into the combat. ( its to bad, because i really wanted to see what they are capable of doing.

i took out seven of his things to one of mine.---total annihilation

well, thats it. i was pretty happy with how i played. aside from some really bad rolling in the second game (which may have changed that game quite a bit), i dont think there was much more i would have done differently.. 2 wins and 1 loss.

i hope you enjoyed the batrap, it is my first. ............thanks

Dude, can you please go back and re-organise your post. There are large blocks of text all the way through that hurt the eyes...and the grammar and punctuation could be tidied up a bit.

As an example:

played a one day, three round tourney this weekend with 16 entrants. winner (not me) had 113 total comp/painting/gaming points. all the rest came in between 50-90. i had 76.i consider myself an average gamer who is competetive but plays for the fun of it. here is my first attempt at a batrap for you.

becomes;

'I recently played a one-day, three round tourney last weekend with 15 other entrants. While the winner had 113 total points, everyone else came in between 50-90, myself placing at 76. I like to play competitively but also for fun. Here is my first attempt at a batrep, hope you like it.'

SPACE

Then state your army list in a clear format.

my list; GM, psycannon, psy hood, targeter

retinue; 4GKT, psycannon

elite inq. psycannon

3 warriors - 2 hvyblt, 1 plscan

2 sage

1 mystic

troops; 2 squads of 8 pagk , one with 2 inc, just w/frags, targ

2 squads pf 8 ist. one with 2 grnd, the other with 2 flamers

2 land raiders w xtra arm

Becomes something like;

HQ:

Grandmaster, psycannon, psychic hood

4 x GKT's, psycannon

(404 points)

Elite:

Inquisitor, psycannon

2 x heavy bolter servitors, plasma cannon servitor

2 x Sages, Mystic

(171 points)

Troops:

(2) Justicar with frags+targeter, 7 x Grey Knights, 2 x incinerators

(257 points each)

8 x IST's, 2 x grenade launchers

(100 points)

8 x IST's, 2 x flamers

(90 points)

Heavy Support:

(2) Landraider, extra armour

(255 points each)

Total: 1,789 points (you were actually well and truly over the limit, but it didn't seem to matter too much in your games. Just be careful next time).

SPACE

Game 1: I played Space Marines. His list was (then just translate whatever it was into the same format as above. If you don't know points costs, don't worry about writing them, just state what units he took)

- Deployment

SPACE

- Turn 1

SPACE

- Turn 2

SPACE

- etc

SPACE

Game 2: I played Tyranids. Her list was (same structure again)

SPACE

Game 3: I played Radical Daemonhunters and Marines (same structure again)

If you re-write your post and make these changes, you'll get much better responses from the community. As it is, it's a giant block of text that is hard to read and hard to comment on.

I did have everything spaced when i typed it, as you have suggested. When I entered the reply, the result you see as my post is what came up. I have no idea why my post did not show up as I had typed it. This was the first time I have entered a post of this length here, so if there is something I have done, or need to do, to avoid this result, please let me know.

I did notice how it became so `condensed` when the post had entered, but I was rushing out the door as it happened. I apologize for the difficulty in reading it.

As far as the grammar and punctuation, I will be more conscious.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

The same thing happened again.

I spaced and indented my reply above, and it came out as one big `block`.

I purposely double-spaced between each of the lines in this post to see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn`t, then I need some guidance.

Ok, just edit so there is just 'repeat post, deleted' in your last few posts, leave your 1st response to my post intact though, so people know why it looks so weird.

Make the changes I suggested, you'll get better feedback. People sometimes get problems pasting 'Word' documents straight into posts, the formatting sometimes doesn't gel. Stuff happens, nothing to worry about. Just go back and fix it, you should get some other people making replies once they can read it.

The same thing happened again.

You're probably typing this in an external program and copying into the reply box here on the web forum, yes?

If so, that's the source of the problem. Formatting isn't (necessarily or usually) going to transfer.

You want just a plain text editor, nothing fancy. Not a word processor or anything else with formatting options. You specifically need to avoid anything that formats text.

If you're on Windows, use Notepad.

If you're on a Mac, use TextEdit (which does permit formatting -- it's technically an RTF editor -- but provided you avoid all that crap you should be fine).

I am typing directly into the box on the forum.

I am on Windows Vista. I will check to see if a program is affecting this.

thanks

I think I've isolated your problem ;)

If the standard (and awful) IE doesn't let you post normally, I would recommend installing Firefox. It saves you so much hassle.

Archived