Tournament Combat Patrol Scouts

Dreadnought Baraziel

At my GW, over the last few months we've had a few combat patrol tournaments which I've been attending. I've been to two and in the second I made fourth out of 23 players (missed third and £30 prize money by two "points"). Since then I've been desperate to improve my list in any conceivable way. It is composed as follows:

Scout Squad - 100 points

4x Snipers

Missile Launcher

Camo Cloaks

Sternguard Squad - 300 points

+4 Veterans

Power Fist

Combi-Melta

Combi-Plasma

Meltagun

Rhino

For my new-and-improved version, I'm going to swap the two Combi-Weapons for a Heavy Flamer, but I'm also wondering whether to replace the Snipers with a tooled up CC squad. The prospect of a first turn charge is very exciting, especially in games these small, where if I eliminated a portion of his army first turn he would be severely disadvantaged for the rest of the game. However, if I did this, my army could lack ranged AT and the pinning and rending of the snipers is useful. So, what should I take?

I think for small squads, Snipers are the way to go.

If you go with an assault squad, you need 8-10 guy with a Power Fist Sarge. While its not horribly expensive, it is more of an investment. Personally I think assault Scouts work well with Assault Squads, one of them engaging the unit first to hold it in place and the other jumping in to help finish off the job. Neither one is truly terrifying against a true assault unit but together they should be able to overcome most foes.

Archived