pre-heresy markings

Tue__Kaae

hello there. I'm working on a new sculpting project. most likely something to do iwth golden demon. I'm going for pre-heresy this time. I've quite a long way along in the process but I've come cross some questions regarding honor markings before the heresy. and I hope some you you might be able to help me. here's the list:

forehead studs

these have been used for a long time to indicate the number of years in the service a marine have had. but were they used pre-heresy?

purity seals

I know that they certaintly didn't have any religeous value pre-herey. but were they used, and to what extend?

laurels, crux terminatus, honor skulls and whatnot

hat of these were used? and do you have any info about other markings used pre-heresy but not in modern day 40k marines?

I appreciate any help, I do kno alot about marines and the 40k universe in general, but pre-heresy is scarse and frankly alot of if vary depending here you read :tu:

-Tue Kaae

forehead studs

these have been used for a long time to indicate the number of years in the service a marine have had. but were they used pre-heresy?

I've never heard of them in the crusade era but I think each stud represents a decade of service in the modern era, but it seems like it would be a tradition started during the crusdaes so i'd say it fits.

purity seals

I know that they certaintly didn't have any religeous value pre-herey. but were they used, and to what extend?

I think they would most likely be the "Oaths of the Moment" referenced in the novels, pledges to accomplish a great task by a individual or group

laurels, crux terminatus, honor skulls and whatnot

laurels i'm sure are just accolades for an exceptional feat of bravery or achievement. C.T. i think didn't occur until after the Emperors fall as they are said to contain a portion of his armour. Skulls i'm sure were same as laurels.

I think what Mprh45 has said is pretty much on the mark.

I'd be a bit careful with using purity seals - as has been said the 'oaths of the moment' are more like rolls of paper attached to the marines armour. Remember there is no case for being 'pure' pre-heresy, as no marines have turned to chaos at this point.

Again, crux terminatus is something which is associated with post-heresy. There are tons of examples of both skulls and laurels in Collected Visions. I would go for the one which seems most appropriate to the legion you are creating (for example, a World Eater or Space Wolf is far more likely to have a skull than a laurel :D )

thanks alotfor the ansers. It's pretty much what I thought but before I put it on a mini, it's best to get some second oppenions :D

btw. I know there's alot of pic refferance in the horus heresy pictures. but I'm kinda iffy about that source. on the one hand it's all approved by alan merrit so it should all be in line with the GW fluff. but if you really look closely there's alot if little errors here and there. for now I'm sticking to the pre-heresy artwork created by the old and established GW artists.

Well.. some would argue this is the nature of the heresy itself. Remember, all of these events supposedly happened 10,000 years previously, and have been lost in the mist of time. There is no, 'that evening, Horus walked over to the fridge and got himself a beer'.. there is no evidence whether Horus drank beer, or even if he had a fridge! Alot of it is speculation :P

So, this is one of the great things about pre-heresy - you can largely pick and choose the bits of background and artwork you like, and then make an army based on this. There is no nerd in the land who will be able to condemn your choice of bolter or squad marking, simply because many of these things are not known for certain!

Archived