Infiltration vs Deepstrike

minigun762

I like the idea of non-typical deployment and movement for some units in the army, a method to have that little "surprise!" pop out at the right time.

Overall I see 2 main choices for doing this, Outflanking and Deepstriking but I can decide which would be better, or when to pick one over the other.

The main given advantage to outflanking is the ability to assault. A Scout Squad in a Land Speeder Storm would have a potential assault range of 32" from the entry table edge, for the most extreme example.

If you run a counts-as Sicarius, the ability to allow a Tactical Squad to Outflank raises the possibility of Outflanking with a light tank armed with Twin-Linked Assault Cannon - which is sheer comedy gold. :D

Where do you get those 32" from?

12" movement LSS

2" dismounting

6" movement Scouts

6" moving into CC

That's only 26", where's the missing 6"?

The LSS is a Fast Skimmer, and therefore has a maximum 24" movement. However, you cannot move after disembarking from an already moved transport vehicle, even if it is open topped, so you don't get that 6". Hence, maximum 32".

Hi

If a Landspeeder Storm moves flat out the unit cannot disembark (page 70, main rulebook) so it'd only be:

12" Landspeeder move

2" disembark

6" assault

20" total

unless you run shrike where you could get 26" (fleet) cause the scouts can't move after disembarking if the transpot has already moved

indeed, outflanking also provides a psychological impact. If you declare something scary will be outflanking (remember you need to designate which units in reserve are deep striking, outflanking or just coming in regularly at the begining of the game) it WILL effect your oponents playstyle, as they often stay away from the edges. (whereas other than some wargear there isn't alot you can do if something deep strikes it deap strikes) This can be make it fun to play scary deapstriker + large blast weapons (whirlwinds for example, though thunderfire can do it too by volume of small blasts) as the outflankers tend to make the enemy bunch up more in the center.

I just got the chance to try this on Sunday in my game against the Blood Angels. We were at 2000 points, and I was running three Tacs plus Sicarious as my core. One of my Tacs was: 10 men, Plasma Cannon, Meltagun, Powersword, RB with Lascannon/TL Plasmagun + SB. I split into Combat Squads, outflanked with the RB, Meltagun and PW Sarge, and used my 6" Scout move to position my Plasma Cannon squad a little further up a central hill. This was my first time doing this, normally I make my LC/MG/C-M/PF squad Tank Hunters, but my friend is light on armor so I thought it was a good time to experiment.

He forgot about them during deployment, and when they finally came in from reserves, they cleaned up his edge-camping Dev squad faster than he could blink. The RB ended up picking up Sicarious from his own busted transport wreck, and carried him all the way across the table to deal with Corbulo.

VERY solid tactic, as far as my experience has shown.

Sorry I just can't seem to remember but how you get your Tactical Squad with Razorback Outflanking? If it ain't Korsarro'Khan it is....

Sicarius. Give Scouts to the Tactical Squad, adds automatically to any transport unit as per BRB...

Archived