Mid lifeish Crisis

mikekhorne

Having spent years (12ish) of my sons (21and 12) playing 40k ie me buying them for both and painting most most of son No2's Khorne army (now refusing to touch his Ork army!!) I have decided I want my own army and fancy the idea of a pure Khorne Chaos Daemon Army.

The only thing that is putting me off is the cost of Bloodcrushers.

Any ideas on how to make Bloodcrushers and Furies on the cheap?

I 'have' already a squad of Bloodletters and a Daemon Prince.

Monthy master plan is buy:

Skulltaker and Chaos Warhounds (to use as Flesh Hounds)

Karanak and Bloodletters

Soul Grinder

Bloodthirster/Skarbrand

Bloodletters and Warhounds or Fleshounds

Then for my birthday an 8 Furies or pushing my luck 8 Bloodcrushers

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated

People have used the new Chaos Knights with Bloodletter bodies as a good substitude for Crushers. Just stick them on the proper base and you're good to go.

As for Furies, I'm not so sure. Spare Bloodletter bodies and plastic wings or jump packs would probably work.

Chaos Knights are a great base for that. Assuming you're buying straight from GW, 5 Crushers come out to about $40.

Crushers are just too good in Khorne to avoid.

With Furies, I'd buy wings separately. I'm under the impression Reaper Miniatures sells wing sets for a decent price.

Maybe knock the Hellblades out of their hands and slap wings on.

For the Furies, maybe do Possessed Marine's Wings?

I would say that you may want to consider doing Flesh Hounds instead of Furies, same price and Flesh Hounds are a Khorne specific unit (plus they're better).

In addition you can make them cheaply using the Fantasy Chaos Hounds.

Oh man, I wish I would have seen this thread a month ago. I just dished out $75 for 3 bloodcrushers and I have 2 more on order. I could have saved a ton of money. $125 vs. $44. Wow... and those would look pretty cool too.

As far as chaos warhounds go, that is a good choice. Wonder if you could find a way to make a Karnak that would tie him in more with the hounds. Maybe use his head on a hound body.

For the furies, I'd drop the furies and get more hounds. Furies to me really just don't seem that great, hounds would be better IMO, and they are more Khorne like.

Bloodthirster

2 units Bloodcrushers

3 units Bloodletters

2 Units flesh hounds

soul grinders / demon princes as needed

All khorne, all nasty. Technically the Soul Grinders are not Khorne, but you can make them red and that will tie them in.

Before you start painting, I highly recommend getting your paint scheme down and making it a very coherant and uniform look throughout, it will be a stunning army when completely.

The big perk of Furies is that they act as a herding unit for the rest of your army. They're swift, they can pace your faster elements, and they can bog down the enemy. They also just plain take up space. They have an 18" assault range between their wings and normal assault move.

They won't actually KILL anything, but they'll slow it down.

Furies are inferior to Hounds of Khorne. Take a good look at comparing their stats.

Use goblin Wolf riders - cut where needed to make them khornish(almost said khorney). Cheap hounds, with grots to add to your sons ork army and give 4+ cover saves shooting past them.

To make bloodcrushers, dont look any further then making Armored Bloodletter-centaurs. It's up to you how you want to make them, and using Cold Ones might be a good idea for the under-half of the model.

Cant help much more then that, sorry.

The only problem with not using bloodcrushers, is they lose a lot of their flavor if you make a cheaper variant. A bloodletter on a warhorse is not equivalent to one on a huge mechanical rhinocerous. You'd still have to put them on the 60mm base also, and they would look kind of dimunuative on that large base...

Well, I think the Hounds are mediocore as far as actual usefulness goes, and terrible models. So I'm avoiding them. Frankly, if you want speed then Thirsters and Winged Princes will do the job, soak up a lot of fire and kill loads to boot.

I'm running an all-plastic Khorne army and I ran into the same problem. Unwilling to compromise on a less-impressive Bloodcrusher conversion and unable to afford the metal ones, I simply made up my own unit to represent Flamers of Tzeentch for an Elites choice. I picked up a Wood-Elf Dryads box (12 plastics), removed the bits that looked too much like leaves, and came up with a plausible backstory: they are my Bloodboilers of Khorne - daemons made up of angry, vindictive women (because no man who's ever had to face down an angry girlfriend has ever doubted that they might just be minions of Khorne) :D :) ;)

Cheap plastic box gave me my 3 Elite choices and filled up several hundred points, just like that. Until they release a suitably angry-looking creature in plastic that I can use to stand in for juggernaughts of Khorne my next project is probably putting Bloodletters on Dark Elf Cold Ones and using them as stand-in Seekers of Slaanesh.

Just thought I'd throw a few of my ideas out there to see if they might be useful to you!

Furies are inferior to Hounds of Khorne. Take a good look at comparing their stats.
Neither of them are going to kill anything, but at least the furies have some speed, they aren't inferior at all. I am well aware that hounds have better stats, but that's not the point.

The thing that makes the decision even harder is the fact that you can always use the points to take more Bloodletters. Unless you just REALLY wanted to field the hounds I would just drop them.

Are there any pics of the Blood Crusher conversions mentioned? Personally, I’m a big fan of the recent crusher models but they are a bit static and as mentioned, costly. I tried to mix mine up some with changes in rear hoof placement and repositioning the head. All-in-all, that doesn’t amount to much.

I can see where Chaos heavy horse could work. Maybe if they looked like Archon’s horse with the daemonic spikes and crazed eyes.

-OMG

Thanks for the advice guys.

Managed to get Skulltaker this week without my beloved moaning to much :) So might have my first solo game soon as now have an HQ, a squad of Bloodletters and a Daemon Prince.

This week I (and a member of staff at my local GW) am going to have a go at Bloodletters on Chaos Knights for Bloodcrushers Think I'll have a 'proper' Bloodcrusher in each squad I make, along the lines of having a Champion in a CSM squad. .

My eldest let me make his Fantasy Nurgle Warriors of Chaos Warhounds and can see the potential there.

Love the idea of Bloodboilers, they are definatly on my list :P

The only problem with not using bloodcrushers, is they lose a lot of their flavor if you make a cheaper variant. A bloodletter on a warhorse is not equivalent to one on a huge mechanical rhinocerous. You'd still have to put them on the 60mm base also, and they would look kind of dimunuative on that large base...

My army currently runs 15 bloodcrushers. I paid a total of about $80 for them.

If I wanted to go the full-on 24 Bloodcrushers, I'd be running at about $140, I believe.

If I want to run 15 Crushers normally? $375

If I want to run the full 24? $600

Bloodcrushers may have one of the most badass sculpts, but I just cannot justify paying THAT MUCH for 1/3 of my army.

Most armies run about $300-400 with options to switch up builds a bit. I'm not made of enough $$$ to justify that much, and honestly, while the sculpt IS badass, I'd rather have a spare army or two for the cost.

EDIT: I'll have to post up pics of this. It's my big conversion practice army, and if folks like the centaur crushers, well...I'd offer a 'how to' but it's pretty self-explanatory.

Archived