Running an all scoring unit army

ExarPucc

I was considering a list something to the effects of Pedro, Stern, Tacts, and Scouts. And nothing else. Well, maybe enough HQ. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons to this and I throw out what I have already. Curious to hear peoples opinions.

Pros:

Lots of bodies

Ability to diversify between weapon outloads

Ability to attack different units with same unit.

I forgot the obvious one as well. Everyone is scoring. duhhhh.

Cons:

Slow

Somewhat reliant on getting good firing lanes.

Can become dependent on cover

You could squeeze 60-80 models in there depending on how much you spend on what

Isn't exactly horde quantities but it could work...

The main problem I see is something you've already mentioned.

Your stay home, long range, static weapons are going to have limited fields of vision with the amount of bodies in front of them.

Cover becomes all important. Using squads to shield other squads might work....

However the ability to sit 2 squads on most objectives would be a big plus.....

I am pretty new to this site, and the game, but my favorite read so far on scout armies has been from GC08's sig.

As I said before, I am new, and I can't get that nifty link to work, so here is the direct link:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...155519&st=0

One main thing I thing you are missing are the scout transport land speeders. Quite a few options for the army open up with those.

I was just thinking of a large gunline. You could squeeze 60-80 models in there depending on how much you spend on what.

It could easily work, the main issue I see is the need for mobility. You need to have a way of getting atleast some of your bodies across the field and onto an objective reliably. To this end I would say you need to have atleast 5 transports, which could be a mix of Drop Pods, Rhinos, Razorbacks or even Land Raiders if you wanna be crazy.

I'd do something like this:

1-2 Tactical squads that will be combat squadded. Put the special weapon/Sarge in a Razorback and leave the heavy weapon out to provide fire support. Move foward to engage or hang back and shoot depending on the enemy

1-2 Tactical squads in a Rhino, leave them as a 10 man squad, take a good special weapon and a free heavy weapon and a Power Fist sarge, turn this into a rapid fire/assault squad for taking objectives

1 Scout squad armed with Snipers and a heavy weapon. Camp in cover and hold your own objective.

1 Scout squad armed with BP/CCW and/or Shotguns with a Power Fist sarge. Infiltrate and get up close to the enemy to support the mechanized Tacticals.

1-2 Sternguard squads, either gear them up like mini-Devastators or rush them forward to make full use of your special ammo. These squads could use Drop Pods very well.

I am pretty new to this site, and the game, but my favorite read so far on scout armies has been from GC08's sig

:P thanks man...

Seriously if you want an all scoring army, then take a captain on bike with a couple of bike units as well as your tacs, scouts etc and they all score, plus you get some higher T guys with meltas/plasma zooming about....

GC08

I thought scout bikes don't count as scoring because the wording in the dex says "Space Marine Bike Squads."

And while yes, that would be great, I'm in no situation to buy 30-40 SM bikes.

Trying to figure out if I want to buy a battle force or a strike force. That'll be my last SM purchase for a while as it will round out everything I need for some time. Well, maybe a few more scouts. But other than that!!

I thought scout bikes don't count as scoring because the wording in the dex says "Space Marine Bike Squads."

They dont, i had this confirmed from GW...i was only referring to space marine bike squads..

The captain on bike gets mouted assault rule which makes bike squad count as troops choices.

GC08

Archived