Iron Warriors 9th Great Company

soshuro_tenchi

Here is the fluff I did so far for my army. Let me know what you think of it, Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Take note that english is not my native language so point me the errors and I will correct them. If there is too much you can also PM me (but I hope that is not that bad).

bl.php?text=The%209th%20Grand%20Company%20of%20the%20Iron%20Warriors&fontsize=25&bg=990000

Origins

The 9th Grand Company traces it’s origins to the great crusade, it was one of the company formed under the command of Perturabo to conquer worlds in the name of the Imperium of man. Prometheus was appointed Warsmith of this Grand Company and he followed the command and will of his Primarch without question and never doubted the rightness of his master.

When the Horus Heresy came, Prometheus followed his Primarch to hell and back. The company was there at Istvaan Massacre as well as at the Siege of Terra. After retreating to the Eye of Terror, Prometheus led his company in various raid and attacks on many Imperial systems around the Eye.

Like many great leaders of the traitor legions, Prometheus was seeking power and immortality. His first captain knew that if his lord ever ascended to daemonhood, it would mean that he would get command of the great company, so it was in his own interest to help the Warsmith to get his prized reward. Tyraxos, the power hungry first captain, helped him to ascend to get his prized reward by organizing a full invasion of an imperial system and the sacrifice of its population to the dark gods of Chaos. Once ascended to daemon prince status, Prometheus found a new link between him and the machine spirits of the armored vehicle of his great company. Corrupting those spirits with his new found powers, he converted the various vehicles in daemon machines that would serve him in the long war against the foul Imperium of the corpse god.

Home World

The 9th grand company origins from Olympia, like most of the Iron Warriors Legion. After the Heresy, they followed their Primarch in the Eye of Terror and established their dominion over the planet Medrenguard. After his ascension, Prometheus ordered Tyraxos to conquer the planet Kryoxis, an imperial forge world. After the conquest, the daemon prince made a pact with the Dark Gods and translated the planet into the warp and claimed it as his base of operation and home world.

Combat Doctrines

Following almost religiously the teachings of his Primarch, the Warsmith Tyraxos is a master strategist and tactician in siege warfare. His only flaw is an almost unquenchable thirst for the heat of battle and the death of his enemies up close and personal. He uses his first company under his own command to deep strike right into the enemy line when a breach his made. Fighting alongside his squads of terminators, he spread death and destruction around him.

Organization

The 9th Grand Company is made of 3 companies. Each of these companies has a different tactical role in the warfare strategy of the Warsmith.

The first company

The first company is under the command of the Kleonixas. The first captain is the right hand of Tyraxos and usually accompanies him in combat. The first company is the most elite and battle hardened forces of the great company. They usually are involved in every combat. It includes most of the terminator units available to the great company. The largest portion of the Obliterators is also part of the first company.

The second company

The second company is under the command of Kryknos. This company is the tactical company, doing most of the siege works needed to conduct a siege to his end. Most of the siege and artillery weapons belonging to the great company are under the responsibility of the 2nd company.

The third company, The Breach Stormers

The third company is under the command of the Khorne Lord Charoxes. This company, named The Breach Stormers, is at the front of every assault the 9th Great Company is launching. They are the assault troops that take the breach when the artillery and siege works has pierced the enemy fortifications. They assault without thinking and seek to kill and enemy up close and personal so the company can claim the place as their own when possible.

It’s not unusual to find followers of Khorne amongst the rank of the 3rd company, even if the Iron Warriors are usually undivided in their allegiance to the Dark Gods.

Beliefs

The loyalty of the 9th great company is sworn to their daemon Primarch Perturabo himself. Like the rest of their legion, they honor the Dark Gods as an undivided pantheon but they are not zealous like many other traitor legions are.

The leaders of the great company are using the power of Chaos to serve their selfish goals. But like everything else, there is a point where you can’t be sure who is the one using and the one used.

Some individuals in the 9th great company are devoted to one god specifically. Worthy of note is the captain of the 3rd company, Charoxes, who follows the path of Khorne with more conviction than the undivided pantheon as a whole.

Gene-seed

The chaos space marines of the 9th company can be of three possible origins. The first and most widespread are the marines originating from before the heresy, they are those created by the traditional means and that are amongst the most battle-hardened warriors of the galaxy.

The second possible origin is those marines created after the heresy, which are from the gene-seed of the Iron Warriors. Like the loyalist, the Iron Warriors Legion try to take back the gene-seed of the fallen warriors and create by foul means new marines from humans taken in various planet they invade throughout the galaxy.

The third and last possible origin is those marines that are created by using the gene-seed of other legion that are stolen or captured in battle. Those are called half-breed and usually don’t have any hope of becoming anything else than a squad battle-brother. But like every other chaos marines, they are fearsome opponents for the imperials.

Battle-cry

The 9th company still uses the battle-cry of the Iron Warriors, the monotone chant that is:

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT

I will add some background about the main Characters and main events surrounding the company history soon.

Really like what I read so far. With all these IW background pop up I should really take the time to update my own Iron Warriors 5th Grand Company background :wacko:

Will have a proper read that you background tomorrow but what I seen so far been pretty cool :D Keep it up, alway good to see IW topic on there :lol:

IP

There is the fluff I wrote about some important characters of the 9th Great Company

Important Characters

Daemon Prince Prometheus

Prometheus was one of the original Warsmith that served under Perturabo’s command. Chaos whispered promises of power and immortality in the ears of the Warsmith. With the help of his first captain, Perturabo designed a plan to make a great sacrifice to the Dark Gods that would please them enough so they would grant him the status and powers of a daemon prince.

The 9th great company invaded the Xiltonis imperial system and brought it to compliance in a relatively short time. They sacrificed the servants of the false emperor to the Dark gods and they bestowed daemonhood upon Prometheus

With his new found powers, Prometheus invaded Kryoxis, a forge world that was close to the Eye of Terror. He made a pact with the Dark Gods, corrupted the planet and translated it in the warp universe, claiming it as his fief.

Warsmith Tyraxos

Tyraxos is born on Olympia during the great crusade. When the Emperor found Perturabo and gave him command of his legion, Tyraxos was recruited and became a space marine. His first assignment was in a tactical squad of the second company of the 9th great company. His aptitude for war and tactical combat allowed him to rapidly become sergeant. Being an Olympian at heart, his Primarch was a god for him, so in the events before the heresy, Tyraxos was siding with Perturabo and his Warsmith without any doubt. At Istvaan massacre the captain of the second company tried to keep his company on the side of the emperor and to fight against his own legion. Tyraxos seized the opportunity to execute him and take command of the company. Leading the second company trough the siege of Terra, Tyraxos earned a reputation for being efficient and true to his convictions.

After the Horus Heresy, a few centuries later, the first captain under the command of the Warsmith was infected by the obliterator techno-virus and soon couldn’t keep command anymore. Having proved his value time and time again, Tyraxos became the First Captain of Prometheus. With his new assignments, Tyraxos led the Warsmith forces on numerous campaign that were usually quite successful, many imperial worlds fell under the bombardment of the 9th great company and Tyraxos always have been at the forefront of every battles.

When the plan of Prometheus to ascend to daemonhood, became something that started to drive the Warsmith with more interest than the Great War against the Imperium, Tyraxos saw the opportunity to take the command of the 9th great company. He elaborated a complicated campaign that would bring the destruction of an imperial planetary system in the name of the Dark Gods. Following the sacrifice of the imperial population of the system, Prometheus ascended to daemonhood and the new daemon prince promoted Tyraxos as the new Warsmith of the 9th grand company.

Kleonixas, captain of the 1st company

Kleonixas was a marine under the command of Tyraxos when he was still a sergeant in the second company. The two individuals were sharing a special bond of friendship that never disappeared, even after 10 millennia.

When Tyraxos took the command of the 2nd company, he kept Kleonixas close to him in his command squad. When Tyraxos got promoted to the 1st company, he brought Kleonixas with him and appointed him as his second in command. When he finally took the command of the 9th great company as a Warsmith, he gave Kleonixas the command of the 1st company.

Kleonixas is a great commander and leader of men, but he’s not the best strategist especially in siege warfare. Tyraxos still consider him like a friend but he knows that he will not be the next Warsmith; Kryknos would be a better prospect for this task.

Kryknos, captain of the 2nd company, the Siegemaster

Kryknos is a former techmarine and a master at siege warfare. When a fortification is in front of the 9th great company, it’s Kryknos that usually find the weakness. The 2nd company is then in charge of exploiting this weakness and break the fortification open. Once that job is done, the 3rd company can storm the enemy’s place.

Kryknos is the most promising of the three current captains. He should be the man who will take the place of Tyraxos as Warsmith when the time will come.

Charoxes, captain of the 3rd company

Charoxes is current the captain of the 3rd company. This title is usually held for a shorter time than most other captain. Since his assignment in the 8th assault squad of the 3rd company, Charoxes never ceased to kill with a passion exceeding what most man can’t even feel. At the siege of Terra, the captain of the 3rd company was killed in the assault of the great wall and Charoxes having proved his ferocity more than once was promoted to captain. After the heresy, when the legion retreated into the Eye of Terror and settled on Medrengard, the forces of Chaos started to slowly corrupt the proud Iron Warriors. Charoxes started to hear the voice of the Lord of battle. He slowly succumbed to the promises of Khorne and became one of his beserkers. For an unknown reason, Charoxes kept his mind relatively intact, he can still think strategically and tactically, even if he relishes in the blood of his enemies.

I will have to update with two major campaigns, as soon as I finish to write it.

There is the las pieces of fluff I wrote, relating 2 campaigns the 9th great company.

Important campaigns

The invasion of Xiltonis

To get the great powers he dreamed of, Prometheus needed to give something that could have some real value to the Dark Gods. Nothing could really satisfy them except for the souls of countless followers of the false emperor. It was at the suggestion of his first captain, Tyraxos, that he brought the full wrath of the 9th company on the Xiltonis system. The plan was an ambitious one, but success would mean a great reward for the Warsmith.

Knowing they could not take it only by brute force, Tyraxos elaborated plan would take time, but there was no wasted time when it was spent to weaken the Imperium of mankind. This system was not any imperial system; it was the home world of the Angels of Damnation space marine chapter. This would need special effort to conquer it.

The first step was to establish a network of spy and traitors to corrupt every level of the system’s government and other influential powers. It took more than a few years to establish a working cultist network on the various planets of the system. In the time preceding the full invasion, most of the government and various PDFs’ officers were involved in that great betrayal that would come. The last and biggest obstacle between Prometheus and his goal was the fortress monastery of the Angels of Damnation.

When Prometheus’ fleet translated into real space, it was a great surprise for the AoD command. With the help of the various traitors in place, the 9th Great Company appeared without warning. They could set their siege on the marine’s fortress in no time thanks to the help of the traitorous PDF.

The first captain Tyraxos timed the invasion so almost half of the companies of the AoD were out of the system at the time of the siege. With the help of the dark powers of Chaos, they could disable the marine’s communication system, preventing them to call for help.

The siege lasted for over a full year before the last battle could take place in the top keep of the fortress. A fierce duel between Tyraxos and the chapter master Michael. At last, the marines were defeated and the system was conquered. All the planets were under the command of the traitors and the Iron Warriors could execute their dark plans.

In a ritual that took almost another year to set up, Prometheus sacrificed the whole population of the system, using the loyalist gene-seed as a focus for the Dark Gods to come claim the souls of billions of people.

Once the ritual was done, the ascension of Prometheus to Daemon Prince status was completed and with his new found powers he departed to go back in the warp with his great company.

I

When the Imperium and the Inquisition found the system, they were incapable of explaining what happened and they classified the affair. The Angels of Damnation are still seeking revenge upon Prometheus and his lackeys. They were now fleet-based and flying in the space around the Eye of Terror in search of the 9th Great Company.

The corruption of Kryoxis

A few centuries after the destruction of Xiltonis, Prometheus and the Warsmith Tyraxos took the decision they wanted to take a planet as their base of operation. What would be more fitting than a corrupted imperial forge world to take as their own. The target selected was Kryoxis, a forge world near the Eye of Terror.

The campaign was driven by Tyraxos and Kryknos. With the help of the mighty war machines controlled by Prometheus, they brought all the major city of the planet under siege at the same time. In less than a month, the world was brought into compliance and they appointed corrupted leaders in the government and corrupted tech-priests at the different factories.

Once again Prometheus solicited the Dark Gods and with their help, the planet was translated into warp space forever. Kryoxis disappeared from real space and nothing was ever heard again of it.

Kryoxis is now a fortified and corrupted forge world that no military forces in the galaxy could hope of conquering back. The only way the 9th Great Company could be dislodged of it would be to bring Exterminatus on the planet, but it would mean to find it first and to risk warp travel to do it.

I love it. Great way to justify the use of Berserkers in a Iron warriors.

Mighty blow against the Imperium on the Xiltonis system. 1 Year to destroy a whole Imperial system is quite an impressive feat. (To be fair, they did spend countless years preparing the invasion.)

Good work.

Thanks for the comment.

I love it. Great way to justify the use of Berserkers in a Iron warriors.

The Iron Warriors were allowed to use Beserkers since their IA back in the third edition, they are using them as crazy assault units. In the novel Storm of Iron, one of the captain was also falling deep into Khorne's worship.

Mighty blow against the Imperium on the Xiltonis system. 1 Year to destroy a whole Imperial system is quite an impressive feat. (To be fair, they did spend countless years preparing the invasion.)

I was thinking one year for the siege of the marine's fortress, I didn't really thought of the lenght of the campaign as a whole.

I used the name of the Angel of Damnation because it's the name one of my friend chose for his Dark Angels successor chapter. With his consent I used his name and did a bit of fluff on this loyalist chapter and introduced them in my company's history and vice-versa.

Archived