Thunderfire Cannons in low points games

ExarPucc

I'll soon be participating in an escalation league over the next 8-12 weeks, and first two weeks are 750.

I have in my possession 3 TFCs. While yes I could field of 3 of them, I think I'd be pissing off a few people. I'm trying to come up with a balance to running one, possibly two, while still retaining a fluffy and fair force.

I play CF. Pedro won't enter the game till 1500+ range. I want to try and keep the TFC's as a mainstay throughout the campaign. These things generally end in a giant single Apoc game, and I really want to try out that "3+ TFC" organization.

I will note: the GK player has already stated he's fielding 1 LR at the onset in the 750 range. And he'll add more LRs as we add points. So yes, I expect some cheese.

And for rest of my army at 750, I'm thinking Scout snipers, a tact squad, and a rather nude captain.

I will note: the GK player has already stated he's fielding 1 LR at the onset in the 750 range.

We had a player in our area attempt the same thing. He did not do well......

As for the Thunderfires, I'd max it at two at this points level because you still need some numbers (i.e. Troops) to keep your army (and the Thunderfires) in tact.

Its just not tough enough against big targets or heavily mechanized lists. AV13+ is immune to it and AV12 doesn't have much to worry either. This is a fair amount of the battle tanks/walkers out there and even some transports.

I think 2, in either corner of the map is your best bet. Of course I think Whirlwinds are better but thats neither here nor there.

You'd really only want one heavy for every 750 points. And only if facing hordes.

Fast attack has better anti-armor options--if in 750 you can get troops, enough anti-armor and something that will attract attention, I'd say you are fine to take one Thunderfire. It can be a game breaker against certain armies.

Hi

I'd say it all depends on how many vehicles you expect to be facing, the Thunderfire may be able to deal with light transports but aren't going to do much at all to heavier vehicles (bar immobilising for dangerous terrain). I'd say 1 in 750 points, save the 3 for the full 1500.

Once you reach 2000 pts. I suggest taking three. Here's why

1.They usually kill there points cost. Especially against nids

2.You get a free techmarine

3.Having three of them will make your opponent need to divert his power between the three

4.It's very scary

5. If your opponent has cheese, throw back smelly cheese!

Archived