what are the best ways assassinate hqs?

Ramora

so the local gw store is doing a a 4 week event(one day a week) where at the end of the 4 weeks the person with the most hq kills wins. So the way i see it winning the games dont matter. kill the enemy's hq quickly and then just turtling my hq for the rest of the game sounds like the best way to go about it. Now as far a first turn kills I was thinking mutliple sternguard units with mass combi weapons. Probably meltas for instant death(for T4 or less without EW) with vulkan as my hq for twin linked goodness. Or a mech army lead by Lysander and cc termies to punch through the enemy lines for the assassination. Another idea I had was a callidus to just pop up and go for the kill but that would only really work on some of the weaker hqs. A Vindicare could take pot shots the whole game too but thats not really what I'm shooting for(no pun intended) What do you guys think is the best way to assassinate hqs.

cheers,

Ramo

scout squad with snipers an missile launcher with telion, telion shoot with the launcher and because he can pick his target out of a unit he could steadily knock wounds off or instant kill with the krak missile. the remaining scouts can harm his comand squad or honour guard :rolleyes:

telion rule says the modele can shoot using his bs if telion doesnt shoot. says nothing about getting his special rule for picking out models.. great ideas though keep them coming

pg 88 space marine codex

telion eye of vengeance

wounds caused by telions shooting are allocated by his controling player, rather than the opposing player.

so you take control of the missile launcher and allocate the wounds on the hq B)

not really a "assassination" idea but im just pointing out that some opponents are going to keep their HQ's pretty safe, maybe in a land raider or other vehicle safely behind their army. This'll make taking a HQ out harder than usual, just remember that.

you may have to blow your way through a significant defence to get at that elusive target, so prepar accordingly! B)

pg 88 space marine codex

telion eye of vengeance

wounds caused by telions shooting are allocated by his controling player, rather than the opposing player.

so you take control of the missile launcher and allocate the wounds on the hq B)

It says "Telion's shooting attacks". Shots by another model are not Telion's and therefore can't be assigned by the player.

Best way to kill an HQ is to attack them with Assault Terminators. There are very few ways to single out an enemy HQ without dealing with their unit first. Some units like Telion can single out model in a unit but don't hit hard enough to instant death.

Wiping out the whole unit is the most reliable option. In that regard it will depend a lot on what you're trying to kill. If you want to keep your own HQ safe as a Marine player take Marneus or Lysander since they have Eternal Warrior.

pg 88 space marine codex

telion eye of vengeance

No, you can't. Telion shoots with his stalker-pattern Boltgun. He can't be assigned a missile launcher, can't be bought one, can't "take control of one" and thus can't shoot one with the benefit of "eye of vengeance".

EDIT: For clarity, what Telion does when he allows the squad to resolve one shooting attack using his Ballistic Skill is precisely what is described in his fluff. Telion's a teacher. He teaches the scouts under his command how to be careful, how to wait for the right moment. Think of him kneeling next to the missile launcher scout and coaching him through. He's unable to shoot himself, because he's directing and guiding the recruit's aim to make sure his shot hits.

i see what you are saying but thats the way the gw store in swindon played it and thus where i got it from, the reasoning they used was because telion guided the shot it was like him shooting hence using his bs6 , they have been doing it that way against me too...

so in short he cant guild the rocket shot and use his eye of vengeance aswel, hmm...

As for a reliable way to kill off HQs: if you're not worried about winning afterwards, take a squad of scout bikers with a locator beacon and a drop pod full of Sternguard. During deployment, infiltrate your scout bikers as close as possible to the enemy HQ, and then use their scout move to turbo-boost the rest of the way there. Ideally, you want to be about 18" away from the enemy HQ with clear line of sight after this scout move.

On turn one, drop your pod full of sternguard next to the enemy (no scatter thanks to the locator beacon) and laugh maniacally as you spray death into the poor HQ. To make this really shine, I'd take 5 combi-meltas and 5 combi-flamers. Against HQs with a retinue or who have joined another squad, fire off the flamers to dish out the most wounds possible, then pick off the HQ with meltas or hellfire bolts or traitor rounds, whatever is the most appropriate. The meltas are also useful to crack open a transport if the HQ is hidden away inside (as I expect will be common for armies that can do it in this sort of environment). Other than hiding in a transport, this rush is almost impossible to defend against, as after turn 1, you don't care what happens to your assassins.

This option lets you deliver a huge punch without risking your own HQ to do the punching. For added hilarity, you can have your HQ be Vulkan hiding off in a Land Raider on an objective with a tactical squad. As a backup, run a second land raider full of thunder hammer assault termies. Alternatively, pimp out a few Vanguard marines and take Tigirus as your HQ, giving you a 75% chance of dropping a nasty assault squad on turn 2 (without scatter onto your locator beacon) and rush in with a bunch of big, shiny weapons to chop up whatever the sternguard missed.

The ideas are quite nice, but remember: Whatever you do to keep your HQ safe, he will do, too. I wouldn't expect a lot of HQs to actually show up on the battlefield first turn. I would guess there will be a lot of reserves involved.

This means that you shouldn't go for a single first-turn-killitall-unit, but rather add something to destroy his HQ the following turns. Think of taking a second drop pod with another Sternguard, if you ask me - equipped with some Meltas, there is really nothing much that can resist their onslaught. Combat-squad them right, and you can even take out an enemy transport and most of its contents in one shooting.

Unless they are playing a codex that still has actual retinues, any type of CC, because the IC fights independent of his attached unit (and thus you can assighn attacks directly against the IC) in CC.

Seconded.

Preferredly, use GK Grand Masted + Retinue. Old scool force weapon and old school retinue rules spells doom for the enemy HQ, but at a great expense for you.

Venerable dreadnoughts

Get it into CC with the IC. S10 Armor ignoring, 'nuff said.

For a body guard or assault group, I would take an honor guard. Not too many, just enough to get the champion to your enemy's HQ.

I'd give you extra style points if you used the Honor Guard Company Champion to do the job. It is what he's made to do after all. Honor or Death - re-roll all failed to hit and to wound vs. an enemy IC. FOr extra sneakiness, remember, the Honor Guard isn't a retinue, it's a non-FOC-taking HQ unit. That means your Master can hide somewhere (like reserves), while your Honor Guard hitches a ride in a Redeemer and makes a beeline for the enemy HQ. They probably also have enough punch to repeat as necessary for multi-IC armies.

I would suggest a cheap librarian to go with them, though. Force dome provides a much needed Invulnerable Save for the unit, not to mention the other nifty options and anti-psyker ability.

Vanguard with jump packs and lighting claws with a Power fist or two. As the name of the game is kill the HQ just drop them real close to your opponents HQ and watch him dissapear. Unless you are up against a hoard of orks the HQ and any attached Squad is simply going to dissapear. Who cares that they will get shot to little pieces the next turn if they have wiped out their target :P

Either that or multiple drop pods filled with ironclads. Corner the HQ with two Ironclads though this tactic comes with the risk of your dreads being engaged by other troops

honor guard sounds like a good idea but would it count as an hq and therefore if they end up dying give my opponent a hq kill point.

Hmmmm, not sure, that depends on how the tournament master wants to rule it. They are an HQ unit, but they don't take up an FOC slot. Is it one point per HQ killed, or one point per Independant Character killed? If they would give a kill point, you can at least make the squad 10 bodies strong. That takes significantly longer to chew through than a single IC, no matter how powerful.

basically its gunna be a 1500 pt list. what I'm thinking right now is:

HQ - Vulkan - 175

Troops - 2x 10 man Tac squads w/ free equipment in DP - 205 each

Elite - 2x 10 man Sternguard squads w/ 2x meltas, 8x combi meltas(or a mix of flamers and meltas) in DP - 335 each

Total: 1255

This leave me 245 points do do something with. The strat would depend on if they had their hq(s) on the table or not. If they didnt troops come in first and sternguard try and wait it out in reserve for a chance to strike. If the hq(s) are on the table first turn just drop the sternguard in a shoot them down. With the addition all point I could drop in a dread or drop a combi weapon and field a fire magnet LR. what do you think?

I'd loose a drop pod from a tactical and get the Land Raider. Put Vulkan in it with the tac squad. Or drop Vulkan for a cheap Master and use his Orbital Bombardment on the enemy HQ. Kinda like swatting flies with double-decker bus, but hey, if it's worth killing, it's worth killing dead, right?

scout squad with snipers an missile launcher with telion, telion shoot with the launcher and because he can pick his target out of a unit he could steadily knock wounds off or instant kill with the krak missile. the remaining scouts can harm his comand squad or honour guard :D

I think that's a little bit of a hopeful rule interpertation. Doesn't it say Telion guides the scout marine's shot? Not that he shoot's it himself. It would only work If it specifically says he yanks the ML from the scouts hands and shoots it with eye of vengeance. It may have alreadybeen FAQ'ed and I don't know what I'm talking about but whatever. Anyway, My personal favourite way to know out an HQ is with a big overkilly strike, like a demolisher, DCCW to the face (Bye warboss!) or assassin. But you can always single out IC's in CC. The main problem you'll have to eliminate first, like if they stuff their HQ in a LR.

Archived