Virginia Beach Headhunters Tournement-3 Batreps

Deadshane

Headhunters Tournement at Atlantis Games and Comics in Virginia Beach (Headhunters club is the Store's discount club)

Three games played, Swiss pairing (should be tiered, but whatever), Battle points and sportsmanship only. 1850pts.

$10 Entry Fee

Store Credit:

$50 First Place

$20 Second Place

$10 Third Place

$20 for best painted (chosen by judge)

This is a new format for tournament gaming in our store. RTT's are now going "painted only" so the MGMT concocted up this series for those who's armies arent painted yet. However, on the day of the tournement painting supplies are an additional 10% off (on top of our normal 'headhunter' 10% off...to convince us to get to work and start painting! )

Anyways, this was the first tournement outing for my '09 Tournament Grey Knights army. Sort of a not-so-dry run and practice day before Adepticon.

My army is as in my Army Profile. I drop the MC weapon for Melta bombs on Justicars as an experiment. http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Deadshan...y_Knights_%2709

GAME 1

Capture and Control w/VP Tiebreaker

Pitched Battle

Opponent: Grey Knights (:cuss?)

HQ

Grand Master with psycannon

ELITE

5xTerminators-BC w/psycannon, 1x psycannon, 4xTerminator w/SB, Nemesis

TROOPS

10xPAGK (maybe 2 psycannon?)

10xPAGK

HEAVY

Land Raider

Land Raider

Crusader

I dunno how I managed to draw another Grey Knight player in the first round but whatever. The list he was using didnt seem to be that optimised and I figured I'd have a better than average chance to out-shoot him before he got to me with his massive Terminator Unit that could clobber me in HtH.

DEPLOYMENT and SETUP

I deployed on my far right due to the fact there was a nice solid wall within some ruins to put my objective behind. My Stormtroopers could easily get to take the objective with no danger to themselves if I could keep the Landraiders from getting to me...especially the crusader which would be toting the Terminators. My own terminator retinue deploy just outside the ruins about 4" away from my board edge. My Stormtroopers start out safely behind terrain and just need to walk up a bit to the objective, which they'll do once some threats are neutralised.

My opponent reciprocates by setting up almost Identically the same. His objective however isnt behind an opaque wall. I can see it.

TURN 1

I move very little...terminators moving a bit further into the ruins

I get to go first and start out by immobilising the Crusader on the starting line...no other damage but the crusader is effectively out of the fight (or so I thought). That is my return on 6xtwin linked Lascannon. Good start, the Terminators will have to ride their sneakers if they want to get across the board to my objective.

His turn

Terminators remain within the Crusader. Both Land raiders maneuver around/within his ruins for shots at my LR's Crusader is out of range. He is rewarded by exploding my left LR. Guys get out within the crater with no casualties.

TURN 2

My Terminators move further into the terrain behind the wall. Now that his terminators wont be making across the board, Stormtroopers move to take objective. Landraiders do not advance but maneuver for shots. LR within his ruins is exploded by two lascannon shots. Other two lascannon shots bounce off of the other LR. 10 PAGK disgorged with a single casualty.

His turn.

His mobile LR maneuvers for another shot and explodes my middle (or left) LR. No casualties to the troopers. LR's seem to be dropping like flies! His troopers that got ejected from his vehicle that I destroyed move toward his objective.

TURN 3

My remaining LR has a ways to go so I decide that if I'm going to contest his objective I need to move out. If I move out I'll be in range of the crusader however. The ruins he's staking claim to hide his other landraider from my remaining lascannons. I decide to move 12" and save my smoke for when he'll be able to fire two lascannons at me. I move 12" and take a pot-shot at his Crusader...no effect.

My terminators attempt to move within difficult terrain to the next level up to take psycannon shots at his troopers inside the ruins. Right now I'm behind the wall hiding my troopers taking the objective. I roll a 1&2...cannot move up. My PAGK with psycannon take a shot at the troopers and weaken the squad a bit.

His turn.

His loaded and mobile LR moves out to press my objective...it also has a long way to go. It moves out 12" and takes a single Lascannon shot at my raider...no effect. His crusader tries to fire an assault cannon and a MM at my raider. I remind him that Daemonhunter crusaders do not have rending Assault Cannons...he vows to take the crusader out of his army! He still takes the MM shot at me at long range. Hit, glance, Immobile. Stupid Crusader ruins my chances for winning the game. I'm really to far to foot it across the board with my smallish squads against the shooting he's still fielding.

TURN 4

I need some victory points to at least win the secondary objective to get the lions share of the 'tie' points. Immobile LR disgorges its troopers which skirt the edge of my ruins staying inside. I try for a second turn to move up a level with my terminators. I roll another 1&2. Fed up I move into a closer but more dangerous placement with them... My far left squad decides to finally move out...I'm running out of lascannons and need to stop his LR while still trying to contest the objective on his side. They run and take cover within another ruins mid-board. I fire on his troopers in the ruins guarding his objective with a total of 4 psycannons and 12 stormbolters....weakening them severely. My LR Lascannons his mobile raider...no effect, and machine spirits the Heavy Bolter at the squad as well adding to the carnage.

His turn.

His mobile raider lascannons and explodes my Landraider. He's pen- 'ed my entire tank force of LandRaiders with lascannons. I can only stop his vehicle from reaching my objective with Meltabombs now. His troopers attempt to hide on his objective, but its in a place where I can still draw line of sight....I'll be able to deal with them next round. His terminators decide to do something and jump out of the Crusader and start the long walk towards my troopers.

TURN 5

His LR only moved 6" so I vow to try and take it out with a bomb. My far right squad move mid-feild in the open to draw fire from my two squads on the left, terminators advance but remain in Ruins for this one more turn. Psycannon and "sacrificial" PAGK's both open up on his objective guarding squad and take it out. His other troopers will have to get out of the LR now to take his objective. Half of the job done of at least preserving the tie. I charge his landraider and roll a 5 which is enough to plant the bomb...I immobilise him. The only threat to my objective now are his terminators, which could reach by turn 6 with a fleet move of 6...maybe, its stretching it but its a possibility.

His turn.

His PAGK disgorge, advance and take out all but the justicar in the 'sacrificial' squad....I've still got another Melta bomb on him. His LR is fed up and lascannons him dead. His terminators unleash hell on mine taking out two terminators. I plant another bomb on his tank during his assault phase destroying a lascannon.

TURN 6

I move my terminators to take another shot at his. My PAGK squad with psycannon also shoot at them. After not a single casualty from the PAGK squad, my terminators decide not to bother shooting two weapons with AP4 at terminators and instead run out of line of sight of them to preserve victory points. I plant another bomb on the LR shaking it after I move so that it cannot shoot at me anymore. (destroyed Lascannon side)

His Turn

His terminators instead of risking the 6" run for the win, bank on a turn 7 and move forward but shoot at the squad hurting his LR taking them down to the justicar. His troops consolidate onto his objective.

If the game goes on I'll have to do something to deal with the terminators...but I finally get a break and the game ends.

Tie with more victory points going to my opponent.

GAME 2

Seize Ground with 5 objectives.

Spearhead

Opponent Chaos Marines.

I got lucky with a lesser tie and am in near to the bottom rung right now in the competition. That pits me up against a novice. Time to pluck a pigeon.

His army was something like....

HQ

Abaddon

Terminator Lord of Khorne in Terminator armour w/Daemon Weapon

ELITE

4 Tzeentch terminator Retinue for Abbaddon (in Land raider)

10 Tzeentch Terminators (deep striking)

TROOPS

10xBerserker with Skull champ-Power fist, Rhino

10xBerserker with Skull champ-Power fist, Rhino

5-10 Chaos marines (?)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Land Raider

....not sure if the list was 100% Legal but whatever, I wasnt going to question it as I didnt have any real fears of losing.

SETUP AND DEPLOYMENT

I got to choose the table quarters. I set up in the section with the most objectives within it so that I wouldnt have to move out so much. Given the compostion of his army it was obvious he was going to come to me....so it was lucky that the same quarter granted his vehicles very little cover during his advance.

I set up pretty much in the open in my left table quarter...two land raiders in the upper left hand corner on the table edge with my 8 man squad between them and my terminators hugging a ruins terrain peice close to an objective. My final LR was behind a building towards the right hand side of my quarter...again on the table edge.

He sets up on the line as close as possible his two rhino's and LR all loaded. One rhino is in the open and the other vehicles have cover. His regular Chaos Squad sits still on an objective on the other side of the board. I decided right there to let him have that one as the other four objectives were pretty easily within either my table quarter or striking distance. (thats why I dont even know how many marines there were...they never took part in the battle really)

TURN 1

He fails to steal. My landraiders all but one (which moves 6 to fire two lascannons) simply pivot and fire all weapons at his vehicles. My firepower is rewarded with a shaken LR and two shaken rhino's. Wowza.

His turn

Pretty simple....steam forward into terrain, making all checks for Dangerous...still a long way to go.

TURN 2

FIRE! Another Shaken LR. I immobilise one Rhino. The other somehow seems to shrug off 2 lascannon shots and 4 psycannons.

His Turn

His berserkers exit his busted rhino (which he never attempts to remobilise...chaos can still do that right?) to take position on an objective. I'm not sure of the wisdome of a full squad of 10 berserkers taking a single objective, but they're obviously out of my hair. He makes his checks again for dangerous terrain and steams forward popping smoke with the rhino and LR. He will need one more turn of movement before things get scary...I still have a turn to shoot.

TURN 3

My stormtroopers move out of reserve and roll on up to take advantage of an objective within the ruins that my terminators are sitting in. I decide to see how smart he is with Abaddon. I set my terminators up as appetising bait for Abby and his retinue. One problem though for him....I'm standing in cover. I fire at him and the smoke and some abyssmal dice rolling gives me exactly NO result...my opponent thinks he has me.

His turn.

Vehicles move up. Loaded rhino takes some small amount of cover from the LR ready to disgorge next turn. LR plows forward and pukes out Abby and his retinue with "surprise" me by charging my terminators that I moved up! I inform him that I'm going first due to cover and he takes it in stride. He wants to see how many attacks he gets with abby before I go, I'm cool with it...let him have some fun before Abby dies. He rolls a '1' DOH! My Grand Master polishes up his Nemesis turns that sumbitch sideways and stuffs it straight up....nothing. I whiffed against Abbadon...uh oh. My terminators only kill a single terminator before they strike back and kill nothing after some lucky saves. Huh, interesting.

TURN 4

Time to start moving out. Those Terminators need to die and I'm probably going to lose my grand master this turn. There is also the issue of 10 berserkers to deal with. Luckily...its my whole army that'll be fighting these two squads.

My lower left Landraider disgorges its troops in preparation to do whatever I need to do against the rhino and/or its occupants. They move close. My 8 man squad moves to hammer the terminators along with the GK termies who are already engaged. My stormtroopers move onto the objective (which at this time is contested but I'll prolly knock him off this turn.)

Land raiders on the far right both fire into his landraider wrecking it. My Lower left LR wrecks the rhino loosing out the ten berserkers which are fired on by the grey knights...killing 2. I charge with the same squad to rob them of add'l attacks, higher str, and initiative. My other squad moves to help against abbadon.

I win the small combat vs the Berserkers killing several with him killing 2. Abbadon and Grand Master go simultanieus thanx to Sacred Incense. I tell him to go ahead with Abby and steel myself to get my unit hammered. (GM cannot be targetted due to retinue rule but I'm waiting for a huge attack) He rolls another '1' for his daemon weapon. Grand Master then attacks abbadon wounding twice with his nemesis. Abby saves neither, I roll a 10 to force weapon him..."SLAYING HIM OUTRIGHT". My opponent is in disbeleif of the rule but after I explain "codex rules" he accepts it. Due to Sacred Incense, my other attacks completely take out all but one of the remaining terminators before they strike back no return damage. The remaining terminator somehow makes his leadership check.

His turn.

His 10 man terminators along with Lord finally arrive out of reserves...deepstriking off of an Icon in the Berserker unit mid board holding an objective. They make some long range shots at one of my powerarmour squads outside of a LR doing minimal/no damage.

During assault I kill the skull champion after wound allocation before he attacks. Berserkers do minimal damage to me leaving 3 knights and I take them down to a single guy. I finish the remaining terminator with my grand master before he attacks...I sweep towards a land raider with the PAGK's and sweep forward 6" with the terminators to grab some extra movement by killing the last berserker on my turn.

TURN 5

3 LandRaiders and the Psycannon PAGK squad all open up on the terminators after moving to take 3 objectives to his 2. He'll be able to contest one with his terminators though...I hope the game will go another turn to secure the massacre.

Terminators go down to about 7 guys and the lord after shooting. My GM and retinue charge his single berserker.

Terminators sweep up to force his terminators hand. My other unit sweeps to a flanking position to reinforce after their charge.

His Turn

He charges. This time after learning an expensive lesson with abbadon, he engages my GM with a basic terminator letting the Khorne lord attack the regular guys. He rolls outrageous with the Khorne daemon weapon getting something like 16 attacks. However, bottome line in the combat leaves me with a wounded Grand master and a single terminator against his unwounded lord and a single terminator. (creative wound allocation at work here on my part.) He makes his moral check and stays.

TURN 6

He is contesting the winning objective with his Lord and Terminator, but I'm in a position to oust him.

I have one of my LR's move so that his berserkers cannot get to the objective in question by getting in the way. His rhino that is immobile but still alive will help out since he cannot move over it or within the 1 inch gap I leave between the LR and the rhino. They'll have to stay where they're at. I also move stormtroopers directly onto an objective, and a single squad of PAGK onto another within my deployment quarter. His terminators get charged by two other PAGK squads...the one that moved to support and another that was within the now contesting raider.

Thanx to sacred Incense I kill him off before he has a chance to inflict any damage and consolidate onto the objective.

His Turn.

My opponent concedes a Massacre as there is nothing left for him to do.

3 Objectives to 1, all secondary missions completed for max points.

GAME 3

Kill points

Dawn of War

Opponent-Chaos Marines (Slannesh)

HQ

Sorcerer w/warptime

ELITE

10/9xSlannesh Terminators with assorted combi weapons

-Dedicated Land Raider

TROOPS

10xNoise Marines with Champion

9xNoise Marines with Champion & Rhino

9xChaos Daemon

HEAVY SUPPORT

2x Obliterator

Defiler

Defiler

DEPLOYMENT AND SETUP

Once again I win the roll to go first. (apparently I was lucky this weekend!) I choose to go second.

His setup sees his two troops units being the Rhino and the 9 man Squad along with his chaos sorcerer deploying halfway across the board (sort of right in the middle)....trying to engage early I suppose. His Daemons are of course in reserve, as are his terminators and Oblits.

My deployment, I elect to not deploy anything, with nothing in reserves. I'll be coming onto the board with my entire army turn 1. (less of course the Stormtroopers which will stay in reserves for as long as possible)

TURN 1

I Elect NOT to try and steal initiative.

He moves his Rhino 12" forward and pops smoke. Landraider moves onto the table with the 10 Noise marines also moving on and jumping aboard. Defilers walk/fleet onto the board on opposite corners into shooting positions behind terrain.

My Turn

My Landraiders all move onto the boardmoving at least 7" each. I create a "cradle" or 'U' Shape against the board edge that my terminators walk into. My entire army besides the Stormtroopers is on the board now. I elect not to attempt to shoot as it is nighttime anyway, and instead pop smoke with every Landraider. I feel pretty safe.

TURN 2

He gets ALL of his reserves in. Its a little soon for him I can tell and he doesnt really know what to do with them all. He decides to opt for a more fun game and 'strikes them all off of the rhino units Icon and throws as many troopers as he can into my face. Oblits and terminators deploy closeby for melta shots...daemons are little ways off for next turn's assault action. His noise marines move to a position where he might be able to doomsiren some marines after a LR pops if he gets lucky. Defilers consolidate their positions and his LR plows forward to get into the fight.

Between his poor shooting and Smoke...4 melta shots do NO damage. In desperation he tryes to lob his defiler shots at the LR's hoping to clip some terminators...maybe get a glancing, NO damage.

(my opponent sighs, but doesnt get upset. I've played him several times in the past and when he needs luck...he NEVER gets it.)

I move my LR on the left 12" left still skirting the board edge and deploy 8 PAGK's armed with two Psycannons to engage the Daemons. One LR plows 12" thru ruins to encircle his forces close to me. My other LR lets its troops out and backs off, these troops and my terminators prepare for a charge. Stormtroopers come onto the board hiding behind the ruins...they plan on taking no part in the battle but instead vow to stay alive.

Shooting at daemons nets me only 4 kills. Shooting also gets me a shaken rhino, one dead oblit and one dead terminator. Yeesh. Guess we'll have to do this the hard way....CHARGE! Oblits and Terminators get charged by my terminators and 2 squads. Oblits of course will be going last but the slannesh terminators Initiative is lowered back down to 4 due to the Incense. (I cannot beleive what a useful 10 points this was over the course of the tournement) My Grandmaster is pissed off and kills 4 Terminators before they swing. Oblit is also killed by a justicar before it swings. Simultanius attacks include 9 Str 6 power weapons and a ton of str 6 regular attacks at his terminators, killing them all before 2 powerfists are able to strike back. His 3 powerweapons in the squad Kill one PAGK from each squad in return. After this slaughter...I know I've only got two kill points, but I've got him by the balls after all the points I just waxed off of the board. I consolidate backwards exept for the flanking Grey Knights who's landraider is almost mid board. They hide on the inside of the "circle" I've created taking cover within the LR's shadow from the closeby defiler.

KP's

Me-2

Him-0

TURN 3

His Landraider plows forward once again and troops disgorge within terrain to take "stormbolter" shots at the hiding PAGK's. His closby defiler fleets in an attempt to hit the mid-board LR with CC attacks. His other defiler remains still to take a shot at a LR with its battlecannon...hoping for a scatter onto the some Knights that are closeby (he'd be shooting across the entire board, and shrouding would almost ensure a wasted shot) or the stormtroopers....it scatters off of the board. His daemons move to assault the PAGK's by the LR who are about to be shot up by the Noise marines.

His sorcerer casts warptime and the squad jumps out of the Rhino which speeds off in an attempt to reach safety before it becomes a kill point for my side. The Noisemarines and Sorcerer move to assault my Psycannon PAGK squad. They fire everything killing 6 doomsiren included. Two left.

His defiler charges the LR and misses due to needing 6's to hit. His daemons charge the "softened up by firepower" squad hiding next to it, wiping it out but losing only a single daemon.

His sorcerer and unit charge. Since he only needs to kill 2 marines and he's got 10 total including the sorcerer...his sorcerer uses warptime to attempt to Meltabomb, the LR....fails. The Noisemarines attack first. Inflicting 2 powerweapon wounds and 5 regular wounds. I distribute the 2 powerweapon and 2 regular to the regular marine...he dies. I distribute 3 regular wounds to the Justicar...who luckily saves all 3. He strikes back with his nemesis killing 2, I win the combat. My opponent is in disbeleif and now wishes that he had attacked the squad with the sorcerer. I agree that he probably should have.

My Turn

My terminators move to massacre the Noise marines to aid the valiant justicar that just showed them what Grey Knights are made of! My remaining unit of PAGK spread out to defend against a battlecannon shot if they're shot at but stay in range to rake the daemons with stormbolter fire, they kill another daemon. Left LR moves to get an open shot at the running Rhino exploding it. My right LR moves to take a Long range shot at the defiler cross the board (winds up being 42" away) shaking it (i.e. doing nothing) My mid board LR moves 12" away from the charging defiler and Machine Spirits a Lascannon at it....immobilising it. Whew! I'm taking the threats to my LandRaiders out slowly. During the terminator charge, which lowers initiative to manageable levels. I Forceweapon the sorcerer who strikes back killing a single terminator. (again, thank you retinue rule) He wipes out the justicar and does nothing else to the terminators. I kill all but a single Noise marine who makes all his needed armour saves somehow.

KP's

Me-4

Him-2

TURN 4

His defiler across the board moves to get into the fight proper...fleeting. His Noise marines board his LR and also scoot up 6" with his LR firing a Lascannon at no effect. His immobile defiler's shot scatters to kill a single PAGK. His daemons move within ruins in an attempt to hide from my forces firepower. In assault my Grand Master finishes off the remaining Noise Marine.

My Turn

My Terminators Board the Empty LR that used to be inhabited by the 8 man squad. It moves 6" closer to my right side LR...still skirting the board edge. THAT LR remains still to fire at his. My Mid board LR pivots to shoot at the Defiler with twin Lascannons but also machine spirit the HB at the Daemons. My PAGK's move to fire at the Daemons. Between my small arms fire and some machine spirits I kill off the daemons and shake the LR and Immobile defiler.

KP's

Me-5

Him-2

TURN 5

His LR moves forward and the noise marines jump out in an attempt to kill off the ramaining PAGK's Who are 'somewhat' within charge range. Mobile defiler moves up for a battlecannon shot doing nothing to the target LR. His Noisemarines shoot at my PAGK's Wounds work out so that I can inflict two wounds on the Justicar of which he fails 1 of....to my amusement. One other grey knight is killed. Since I can pull my justicar off of the board I deny his noise marines a charge at the unit since I was so spread out he is about 7-8" away now. Icing on the cake is that the PAGK's are now out of the immobile defilers line of sight as well. It fires again uselessly at a land raider.

My turn.

My knights are severely weakened and I decide to let the terminators and the land raiders do the rest of the work this battle. My grand master and terminators kick the hell out of the Noise marines. After their shooting, some other shooting, close combat and fearless saves I lose nothing and they are down to a single marine again. I also explode the mobile defiler and once again do nothing to the immobile one.

KP's

Me-6

Him-2

TURN 6

Defiler shot, nothing

Land raider shoots, shakes my right side LR with troops inside.

In assault I kill his remaining Noise marine with my Grand Master.

My Turn

I reboard my LR with the terminators.

Lascannon Wrecks his Defiler.

No effect to his land raider with lascannon shots.

KP's

Me-8

Him-2

Game Ends. I get max points for massacre and killing his highest point unit and all scoring units.

During the awards ceremony I wound up getting the highest amount of Sportsmanship and battle points winning the $50 grand prize.

Now I need to make sure by the 14th I've got enough of this army painted to hit the RTT with it. First tournement for my Grey Knights ends in an overall victory. For the RTT I'll try to have pics.

Congrats. Like to see GK win tournaments. Seems the emperor was with you - No dualbikers, 2/9 slannesh or other cheesy stuff. Wasn't there anybody playing this lists?

---> pls more pics :)

Excellent work, and a well deserved Congratulations! :drool:

And nice batreps, too, Deadshane. I'm impressed at the performance from your GM and GKTs ... I never have that good a luck with them!

Congrats. Like to see GK win tournaments. Seems the emperor was with you - No dualbikers, 2/9 slannesh or other cheesy stuff. Wasn't there anybody playing this lists?

---> pls more pics :devil:

There was a single 2xLash player there, which I avoided due to my early Tie. In the later games he began to make some serious tactical errors. (or so I heard) So his points werent enough to beat mine. He got second place and we never matched up. Noone in the store is running a dualbiker list.

Excellent work, and a well deserved Congratulations! :drool:

And nice batreps, too, Deadshane. I'm impressed at the performance from your GM and GKTs ... I never have that good a luck with them!

So was I. I attribute a large part of their success to the wound allocation rules. There are 3 different batches in that retinue. (GM, Psycannon, Regulars) That fact and some lucky dice rolling on my part made them actually perform like you would expect Grey Knight Terminators to perform. It was glorious! Sacred Incense is worth easily TWICE the points against Chaos.

Sacred Incense is worth easily TWICE the points against Chaos.

If I knew I was facing Chaos, I'd be willing to spend something like 50 pts on SI! It is that awesome. I guess it's as cheap as it is because it is so focused on just one type of opponent.

Most of my Apoc games are large Imperium v Chaos affairs, and I make sure to put SI on every single GK unit I have. :)

Archived