Havoc Launchers

So i'm still contemplating using a havoc launcher or two in my CSM army. The range and strength seem good enough, but i'm just wondernig where exactly to mount one.

I'm thinking of mounting one as a back up weapon on a vindicator. I was also thinking of my dakka pred, but maybe that's too many weapons on one vehicle for the enemy to leave alone. How are you utilizing this unique piece of wargear?

If you already use the vehicles to mount them. Paying 100 points for 4 rerolling 5/5 templates isnt that bad of a deal. I wouldnt advise more then 4 in any army though.

I like them on dakka predators, they are worthwhile to strut around the best dakka predator out there. (Aside from Baal)

Yess Havoc Launchers,

I'd use them as a standard on my Rhino's for that little extra oohhmp.

Most of the time they don't kill their points worth in battles, but the harassing factor & keeping my Rhino's shootier longer (weapons destroyed) makes them worth while. Another point of intrest is the fact that they count as a seperate unit so I'm not forced to shoot the same target as my CSM when they'v disembarked.

IMO they are the CSM 10 man transport Razorback.

If I where you I'd wont'mount it on a vindicator give it Dp instead. If that pieplate isn't going to kill the unit your shooting at, the humble HL won't do it either.

A HL on a dakka pred sounds cool though. If it does attract extra fire it's a small price to pay. You'r opponent has to choose where to fire at right? This will leave another squad/vechicle safe for a turn.

They are well worth it on a dakka pred. I'd only consider them for rhinos if it was a more shooty and less assault army that used the rhinoes more to out manuever the enemy than to close range. Otherwise you need to be moving 12 inches and won't get to shoot it enough.

They are well worth it on a dakka pred. I'd only consider them for rhinos if it was a more shooty and less assault army that used the rhinoes more to out manuever the enemy than to close range. Otherwise you need to be moving 12 inches and won't get to shoot it enough.

A Dakka Predator is a great place to put them. I ran the numbers awhile ago and listed the results in a topic detailing the Dakka Predator. In essence the 15% point increase for the Havoc yields about a 50% increase in wounds against MEQs and Orks. Thats worthwhile to me, since you have to remain static to fire all the weapons, might as well add another one in.

You can also make a ghetto Razorback, 50 points for a Rhino and Havoc Launcher. Its 10 points more but you retain the full 10 model capacity. I could see some use with it and a dual Plasmagun squad. Pop plasma rounds out of the hatch while firing the Havoc.

The entirety of using the hatch with a havoc launcher (or any other pintle combi-weapon) with two guns inside with ensuring assault exiting the next turn is a very nice role. Forgot about that!

So far the consensious is do use them, or if you must, use them on dakka preds exclussively.

I can see the case for rhinos though. Once rhinos drop off their troops, all they really do is annoy with their combi bolter or tank shock, or something else forgetable. Having the combined firepower of the combi bolter and TL small blast shooting while moving 6 inches doesn't seem like a bad fire support option once the CSM jump out. If i could live with 58 point rhinos in the last edition, 50 point havoc rhinos are not going to kill me.

Sides, with all the orks dominating the metagame, it might be worth taking.

Thanks for the opinions

Another use might be for a unit that never really intended to use their transport much to buy a rhino with havoc. Chaos Havocs (the heavy support unit), for example- give them whatever heavy weapons you like (I assume special weapon havocs would be doing drive-by shootings) and then just use the rhino to block fire and pop of str 5 blasts. Its not like the rhino is so spendy that you HAVE to use it as a transport.

I use them on all of my (3) rhinos, since they create at least an annoyance that the enemy have to deal with, even after they've delivered their load. Noone really bothers about a normal rhino, but if they tank shock about, shooting super-frags, they can't really ignore it.

Might be expensive, but hell...50 points for a "fully tooled up" rhino is still cheap as hell!

I used to field one on my dread, but since dreads are useless and can't take them anymore I have since moved it to a Rhino and I can't say I've regretted doing so. It gives your rhino some usefullness once it has dropped off the marines and it often forces the enemy to direct some fire at it, sparing other more expensive troops.

An issue with rhino mounted havoc launchers that hasn't been mentioned is that in kill point games people want to kill your rhinos anyway for the easy point, so I tend to drive them well away from enemy units after they deposit their cargo as a kill point denial strategy. Unfortunately this would also make the HL useless. That said, I think it's great on dakka preds.

Rhino are always being shot at, also in objective based missions. Heck the first targets I shoot at or assault are enemy rhinos.

Its quite simple for me: If I shot down almost all enemy mobility, I've won the game. Rhinos are very dangerous if you dont kill it somewhere early. Later on you dont have that many anti tank anymore, due to losses. Then by turn 5 you realize its quite hard to remove that rhino which is contesting 'your' objective.

Really rhinos already have enough jobs: delivering troops, contesting, tankshocking, blocking enemy units, blocking LoS. Dont give them another job which makes it more expensive too.

Once you've mastered rhino tactics (lol thats sounds a little unreal :P) you will realize a havoc launcher on a rhino is bad.

I find that a 2nd TL Bolter is usually a better buy if you're planning on moving your Rhino around.

Its 10 points cheaper and up close and personal, 4 TL S4 shots is pretty decent for knocking out some little hordies.

havoc launcher is a great piece of kit. Actual game experience has shown me that its long range, good str, twin linked blast weapon is a great tool to rack up multiple armor or cover saves (or out right kills) on any medium to light infantry. I put havoc launchers on my rhinos and my dakka preds without hesitation and they always do well for me.

I got em on all my rhinos becouse if you drive 6 inches you can shot the havoc and the bolter.

Since extra armor is pritty much crap now since only a 2 on a pen roll hinder your tank from moving so on with havocs instead of extra armor.

Archived