Tzeentch Daemon Prince

I'm aware these will be under review eventually but as per my thread on DP's VS Soul Grinders. I wanted to know if the DP of Tzeentch is really worth the points. Or if a Nurgle Daemon Prince would be more effecient.

A Nurgle prince and a Tzeentch prince fulfil two completely different roles. If you want a combat monster, you can't do much better than a Nurgle prince. If you fire-support, then go the Tzeentch prince. It's worth remembering though that the Tzeentch prince is a lot cheaper than the Nurgle one.

Depends on the build, in terms of expense.

I think a Tzeentch DP, to get the most out of it, runs a different build. I've seen someone pick out a trio of Tzeentch DPs (Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic Gaze, Bolt of Tzeentch) near Fateweaver to enhance their survivability. You take a Tzeentch DP for fire support that's a little more durable than a soul grinder (anti-tank weapons can potentiall pop a Grinder in one volley; a BS4 lascannon, plasma gun, meltagun etc. takes a wound off a Tzeentch DP about 27.5% of the time.

A Nurgle DP, base, costs 155 fo Mark of Nurgle, Hide, Noxious Touch and Cloud of Flies. With wings, it pops to 215. It can operate with some backup, but will eradicate what it touches in melee.

I think ti depends on the build, in general.

Tzeentch DPs are shooty, Nurgle DPs are fighty. If you need some extra atni-tank for cheap, a Tzeentch DP works fine and dandy. A Nurgle Prince is better suited to beating faces in.

I'm the weird one who likes Tzeentchian DPs as assault units.

With just Mark of Tzeentch and Unholy Might, you're getting a S6 MC with a 4++ save for 125 points which is a steal. True its slower than other choices but if you're aggressive with the deepstriking it should be fine. The 4++ save helps to compensate for T5 and no Iron Hide. Its not perfect, instead its an inexpensive way to fit in another MC if you have the slot open.

Actually Minigun, I'm warming to the idea of MoTz and might, but it still seems a little slow, and a 'grinder is better in CC for the points most of the time.

It is slow and a naked Grinder is another one of those units that I think is overlooked.

Most people will have the points to spend on a fancy Daemon Prince, but for a much cheaper one the Tzeentch DP works well. Its especially nice if people are going for a mono-god list as its the most assaulty thing that Tzeentch can use.

However if you're looking at putting a single Tzeentch DP into a mixed list, I'd probably go with the shooty one as Daemons as a whole lack good long range shooting.

If I wanted a cheap melee prince, 130 gets me Iron Hide and Might. 125 gets me the Tzeentch/Might.

135 gets me a naked Soul Grinder that is faster, much more immune to bolters and powerfists. PLUS, it has a trio of Storm Bolters and a heavy flamer-substitute. It's basically an upgraded Ironclad for the cost of a DP.

If you want cheap and smashy, I'd really look at that.

If I wanted a cheap melee prince, 130 gets me Iron Hide and Might. 125 gets me the Tzeentch/Might.

135 gets me a naked Soul Grinder that is faster, much more immune to bolters and powerfists. PLUS, it has a trio of Storm Bolters and a heavy flamer-substitute. It's basically an upgraded Ironclad for the cost of a DP.

If you want cheap and smashy, I'd really look at that.

i fail to see most NAKED soul grinders in higher point games. Due to melta guns.

i do indeed use them for 1k point games.

Archived