Shrike, Drop Pods, Cheese and Biscuits.

Rorsome

Hi all,

Couple of rule clarifications if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

1) Is there a definitive ruling on Shrike joining a unit that already contains another IC?, naturally a unit comprising of 10 Assault Marines and a Chaplain (with Jump Pack) would very much like to be infiltrated with Shrike into assault distance first turn. However there seem to be lots of conflicting thought over the legality of this marriage, is this a prime candidate for a house ruling or is it a flat no?.

2) If a drop pod is assaulted in the oppositions turn straight after it landed (so say turn two for arguments sake as it landed turn one) does it count as having moved at combat speed (as per the rules for things units arriving via deep strike) in the previous turn meaning it hits on 6+'s?, or does it always count as immobilized (as per its codex listing) so hitting automatically?. Is this another black and white ruling or is it something grey that needs to be decided on a house ruling basis?.

3) If a scout squad is deployed in a Razorback does the Dedicated Transport get the scout and infiltrate rule?, in the rule book it says it both does, and doesn't in two different sections. Would be happy if it did, but would prefer to play it properly rather than what works best tactically!.

Many thanks,

R

1) There is no limit on the number of independent characters that can join a single unit.

2) House rule it (My opinion is that it gets hit on a 6+)

3) Vehicles cannot infiltrate and it doesn't get scout since vehicle squadrons cannot be joined by a non-vehicle

4)Replay (It was an honest mistake[or was it?])

1. There is no definitive ruling of how Shrike confers Infiltrate to every model, IC or not, in the squad he joins.

It has been argued both ways, though I'm in favour as I see all joined IC's as part of the units they join.

2. Since the pod has been immobilized after landing, it is a sitting duck and gets no benefit.

It breaks and halts completely, it isn't speeding past anyone.

If a vehicle becomes immobilized, I think it loses its speed save for further attacks.

3. Scouts can't be deployed in a Razorback from start, since the Razorback always is another squad's dedicated transport, so the question is moot.

Scouts can only be deployed in LS Storms or LR as heavy choices. I have problems seeing an Infiltrating or Scouting LR, myslelf.

4. Ask the judges, it's their job to clear things like these out.

I'd say let the result stand, unless your opponent was clearly cheating. Be glad for the experience and the fact that you now have a clear grasp of the rule.

1. There is no definitive ruling of how Shrike confers Infiltrate to every model, IC or not, in the squad he joins.

It has been argued both ways, though I'm in favour as I see all joined IC's as part of the units they join.

2. Since the pod has been immobilized after landing, it is a sitting duck and gets no benefit.

It breaks and halts completely, it isn't speeding past anyone.

If a vehicle becomes immobilized, I think it loses its speed save for further attacks.

3. Scouts can't be deployed in a Razorback from start, since the Razorback always is another squad's dedicated transport, so the question is moot.

Scouts can only be deployed in LS Storms or LR as heavy choices. I have problems seeing an Infiltrating or Scouting LR, myslelf.

4. Ask the judges, it's their job to clear things like these out.

I'd say let the result stand, unless your opponent was clearly cheating. Be glad for the experience and the fact that you now have a clear grasp of the rule.

I'm with this guy

Specialy on point 4, if their are judges (and if its a turniment there are) its their job to make the ruleing, however its very likely that you would have had to bring this to their attention quickly. You are likely beyond the statute of limiations on this and it will stand, chauk it up to experience

My two cents:

1)Lots of conflict on this, I'm one that thinks he does confer it.

2)Auto hits, p63 is quite clear "...immobilised on its previous turn..." The only time an immoed vehicle doesn't get autohit is on the turn Shooting or Higher Initiative C attacks immoed it and the lower intiaitive ones then hit it.

3)Scouts can't have any dedicated transports and thus can never transfer those rules to one

(as it needs to be thier dedi to do so according to them)

4)Judges should make the ruling, this isn't something rules cover.

1) Is there a definitive ruling on Shrike joining a unit that already contains another IC?, naturally a unit comprising of 10 Assault Marines and a Chaplain (with Jump Pack) would very much like to be infiltrated with Shrike into assault distance first turn. However there seem to be lots of conflicting thought over the legality of this marriage, is this a prime candidate for a house ruling or is it a flat no?.

2) If a drop pod is assaulted in the oppositions turn straight after it landed (so say turn two for arguments sake as it landed turn one) does it count as having moved at combat speed (as per the rules for things units arriving via deep strike) in the previous turn meaning it hits on 6+'s?, or does it always count as immobilized (as per its codex listing) so hitting automatically?. Is this another black and white ruling or is it something grey that needs to be decided on a house ruling basis?.

3) If a scout squad is deployed in a Razorback does the Dedicated Transport get the scout and infiltrate rule?, in the rule book it says it both does, and doesn't in two different sections. Would be happy if it did, but would prefer to play it properly rather than what works best tactically!.

4) Lastly (thanks for making this far if you have), my friends and I are playing in a league which is hugely competitive and for money which isn't a great mix. An instance happened the other week and I wondered if anyone had come across anything like it in a tournament... would be interested to know what an official ruling would be. The crux is I realised at the end of a game when we were checking objectives to see who had won that my opponent had rolled for a single Dire Avenger to to rally (which he shouldn't of because he was under 50% unit strength), being relatively new I missed this as I play Marines and they can rally... he couldn't though. Anyway, this one figure held his objective and although I charged everything at my disposal to oust the insect but he got a lucky game end on turn 5 and it meant a draw. As this unit shouldn't have been there what would the official ruling be. Draw stands, Loss for the Eldar player or a replay?.... my thoughts were a replay for fairness but everyone else in the league though the result should stand - which they would as i'm currently rinsing the league having only drawn 1 lost none in 7 games. The jury is out!

1) RAW the unit Shrike is attached to gets infiltrate, another IC doesn't. (that's standard ruling in all tournaments i've seen. but hey, nothing against house rules telling you otherwise :D )

2) as said above... you hit automatically. (p 63. "...a vehicle that is immobilized or was stationary in its previous turn...")

3) Ignoring the fact that scouts can't have a dedicated transport... Units with infiltrate confer the infiltrate rule to a dedicated transports but vehicles can't infiltrate. So yes, the dedicated transport gets infiltrate but can only use it for outflanking.

4) I would vote for a replay...

Archived