apocalypse musings

I was looking at the new baneblade kit with all the different variants. My silly loyalist buddies quickly dismissed the stormlord because, honestly, who needs more anti-infantry, even awesome anti-infantry in Apocalypse?

Then it hit me. The Stormlord can carry troops--a lot of troops. 40 to be exact. It also says that up to 20 models can fire out of it.

Obliterators are models. Really good models, so picture this:

Storm lord (around) 500 pts

20 obliterators: 1500 pts

You have a rock hard unit that can kill absolutely anything. Gaunts gotcha down? no problem, two firings of the VMB and 20 plasma cannons that can't ever overheat later, your problems are solved. Fliers gotcha down? 20 lascannons are bound to get a 6 to hit. Superheavies? See fliers. Titans? 20 lascannons is no joke, even to a titan. If you can get close enough, 20 TL meltaguns or regular multimeltas should give even an Imperator pause.

Drop the sponsons and you're 14/14/12. Very respectable.

I'm not really interested in awesome Apocalypse one-trick ponies, but I was thinking about how the Chaos Legions still retain more of a "large scale engagement" structure than their loyalist counterparts and how it would make sense that they'd have some kind of massive transport. One could probably come up with something like your idea that, in addition to being fairly effective, wouldn't result in a sudden trend of carrying around 20 xmm bases to proxy as obliterators.

Cheaper route(if you dont move)

5 Havoc Squads of 5's.

-Any ensuring weapos of choice, preferably I like missile launchers. If your going to fire them all at the same target, go cheap or just waste the points in overkill.

~775 points (just above half of 20 oblits, for 25 models)

Although, I would rather pack a Warhound with D weapons and not have to roll anything at all.

Geez... People should seriously get (or even jusr READ) Apocalypse before they try to shoot down peoples ideas...

It's cheesy, but pure awesomesauce.

I didn't try to shoot anything down. I just asked a question because I was under the assumption that Obliterators could never be transported. I guess I was wrong.

Storm lord (around) 500 pts

20 obliterators: 1500 pts

I can't help thinking that this should come with a giant target painted on it's hull; every dedicated anti-warmachine weapon is going to bear down on this pointsfest on turn one. It's 2000 points with the protection of a 500 point unit. As Mutt-Man said, Warhounds would last a lot longer, even if you loose out on flexibility. I'd much rather run 20 oblits as units of 1; they can still combine fire, and would be much more survivable against enemy fire.

Geez... People should seriously get (or even jusr READ) Apocalypse before they try to shoot down peoples ideas...

It's cheesy, but pure awesomesauce.

I didn't try to shoot anything down. I just asked a question because I was under the assumption that Obliterators could never be transported. I guess I was wrong.

I wasn't saying you were, I'm just saying people do before they even know the rules of Apocalypse.

Could be wrong but i thoughti had read somewhere that you can only have as many different units in a transport for each entry point or whatever. Not sure where ive read that and its been a while since ive done an apoc game, but i know i read it somewhere.

Could be wrong but i thoughti had read somewhere that you can only have as many different units in a transport for each entry point or whatever. Not sure where ive read that and its been a while since ive done an apoc game, but i know i read it somewhere.

Nope, you read wrong.

Archived