Tiny scout sarge tip

confused_gordy

Hey guys ive just noticed today that if you intend to give your scout sarge a power fist and use him in an assault role, he should always be given a shotgun (never a bolt pistol), as this has no drawbacks (well its not ap5 any more, but 2 shots is still statistically better against 5+ save guys than one ap5 shot).

Just a little tip ive never seen mentioned so i thought i should best share it.

I know this is probably a very obvious thing, but it struck me that in several articles debating shotguns vs bolt pistols and ccws its never been mentioned that to the sarge if he has a power fist, its always the shotty.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't like how the combi weapons are only single use. Unless you know you are sending the poor scouts to their deaths...

But, think for one minute. A single combi-melta, a mere 10 points, has a 19.25% chance of popping a Land Raider before it even has a chance to budge used in this manner. It's cheap insurance.

But, think for one minute. A single combi-melta, a mere 10 points, has a 19.25% chance of popping a Land Raider before it even has a chance to budge used in this manner. It's cheap insurance.

Combine with the Auto hitting meltabombs in turn one (providing we get first turn) the odds go up somewhat..

And we can increase this a little by taking Vulkan as HQ..

Anyone fancy doingt math?

I generally use 3 bikers with combi-melta and meltabombs for 95 points, if they fail, the LR doesnt waste the turn killing them and they normally survive to contribute..

But as for combi-weapons, my fave is the flamer, used before assaults, most flamers are single use anyway..

GC08

Combine with the Auto hitting meltabombs in turn one (providing we get first turn) the odds go up somewhat..

And we can increase this a little by taking Vulkan as HQ..

Anyone fancy doingt math?

I generally use 3 bikers with combi-melta and meltabombs for 95 points, if they fail, the LR doesnt waste the turn killing them and they normally survive to contribute..

But as for combi-weapons, my fave is the flamer, used before assaults, most flamers are single use anyway..

GC08

Okay, I don't know the exact formulas involved here, most is just intuition, and a calculator, BUT:

with Vulkan, combi-melta has a 0.88 x [(0.58 x 0.5) + ( 0.03 X 0.16)] chance of popping a Land Raider if in melta range, or a 29.48% chance (give or take... each step rounded to nearest 100th), and then to that we add a

0.58 x 0.33 chance for the meltabombs, or another 19.14% chance (again, give or take), for a total of

48.62% chance of destroying a Land Raider, for exactly 38% of the cost. So that's ahead about 10% in effectiveness.

Again, I don't know any fancy formulas, I'm only 16, but these are my best guesses.

Well thats why i never use mathammer, good try though, better than i could do..

I always figured from my own meagre experience that its probably about 50/50 of doing something useful against the LR, ultimately you dont need to destroy it, by immobilising it you deny its greatest use.... as an assault vehicle for an uber unit, make them footslog and you can shoot them up at your lesiure.

not bad for a 95 point unit

GC08

Archived