How are the legions formed?

Hey if you have seen one of my earlier topics you might of know i am thinking of starting a Pre-Heresy army

the thing is i don't understand how the legions are formed up

becuase the squads have names (but not the sgt's name at least in Horus Rising they don't)

and they are a hell of a lot of companies but how many men are there in a company and how many comapines are there (becuase i dought they have 100 companies each with 100 men in)

i mainly ask this becuase i am in love with the Garvial Loken charatcer at the moment and his Company (is he still the 10th Captain by the way once he is accepted into the Mournoival as i got confused at that point? thanks)

and i want to know how is Company is formed mainly i want to know how the Luna wolves are formed but every legion i am intrested in (becuase i hear they are set up differently)

thanks a lot in advance

Athiair :D

I don't think there were THAT many companies in each legion, but more marines in each company

according to Lexicanum:

The Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus were considered a large Space Marine Legion and had at least 25 Companies at one point during the Great Crusade. While no maximum headcount for the legion has been given, when the Luna Wolves 10th Company was deployed in entirety during the Whisperhead action on Sixty-Three-Nineteen it numbered approximately 600 marines. If 25 companies existed with the same strength, the Legion at one point could have numbered around 15,000 marines.

^ info taken from Horus Rising, the first book

IIRC chapters and companies were existing subdivisions of the legions. So, my personal take is that grand companies, etc, are roughly equivalent to modern chapters. Though it is highly likely that some legions had chapters of more or less than 1000 marines (the maths is, i think, more a product of RG's OCD than anything else).

As to the squad name issue from the OP, though I do not have/know of any references to the point, it could be that the squads were named for either A) the first sergeant for that squad, or ;) a notable battle-brother. I suspect something along these lines would make sense...maybe.

IIRC chapters and companies were existing subdivisions of the legions. So, my personal take is that grand companies, etc, are roughly equivalent to modern chapters. Though it is highly likely that some legions had chapters of more or less than 1000 marines (the maths is, i think, more a product of RG's OCD than anything else).

That was exactly the opinion taken by the Horus Heresy CCG/Artbooks, Book 2 stated that although exact structure did vary between legion the basic structure was mostly the same:

Companies of 100 marines commanded by a Captain.

Battalions of around 5 companies commanded by a Lieutenant-Commander.

"Brigades" of 2 Battalions commanded by a Commander or Lord Commander - with the brigades known as Regiments, Chapters, Great Companies etc depending on the legion.

The Horus Heresy novels however decided to ignore that and go the BIG4TEHW1N route with massive companies.

Of course just to be contrary I personally prefer the Horus Heresy Space Marine Regimental System as detailed in WD126, but with the legion size from the HH Artbooks..

the compagnies were probably bigger pre heresy then they are now, since now all the legions have been split up into chapters and after that the chapters are split up in compagnies..

Besides after the heresy they were less marines I gueass then before.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the terms Company/Great Company/Chapter/Wing etc were used in a mixed fashion, making it hard to differentiate them.

Also, according to Alan Merrit's Collected Visions the Legions each numbered at least 100 thousand marines each!

Archived