Help finishing Dread

First a little background, so you know what I have available to me. I am in Iraq, I have the basic Marine transfers, most of the colors and washes, and thats about it. I need some help finishing my dread, just seems a little plain. I have already changed the barrel from gold to black, felt the gold was off. I need to base it. I am considering adding the 4th company symbol somewhere, and maybe some other stuff, just not sure what. I am thinking I need something oposite the shield to balance it out, and maybe something on the legs? Anyone have any ideas.

gallery_31519_3374_92063.jpg

gallery_31519_3374_20768.jpg

gallery_31519_3374_129421.jpg

I suppose there are several things you can do to deck-out a dread. There are extra bits from command squad sprues like parchments and placards. Maybe large purity seals may look good. I'm not too familiar with DA fluff, so I'm not sure what would be in line. you could start with making the dread look more battle worn, that might work.

on the blank side to balance the winged robed angel, maybe a banner with some script?

and maybe on the kneecap of one of the legs, the company symbol?

you may want to do some battle damage within his green armour plates, some scratches and green paint missing. the pipes on back coulf have a lil blackening rust effect

the lightning on his claw hand looks AWESOME. i like that you didnt cover the claw with it, it looks like he is powering it up, like he is being awakened, VERY awesome. Great job Israfael :)

What about honor markings on the legs? Codex marines use a skull as an example.

Perhaps kill markings on the side opposite the shield? With a small brush, maybe a silhouette of a tank or some such. There's also the gothic numeral to denote the company.

First of all some highlights would be in order to break up the blandness of the green. For extreme highlights use your base color + skull white or use a mix of Goblin Green and DA green. The latter worked out fine for my half-salamander dread.

You could add lots of scribbly stuff or runes, plus like people said kill markings.

If you can, you could paint a freehand angel motif on the left side of the sarcophagus. I might do a little "Freehands for Dummies" - Tutorial sometime soon that could help you.

For the base, I assume you have access to sand and rocks, for a start. You could also do a lava base, by creating a lava flow with rocks or cork, then paint the lava effect on (you can find a tutorial on that in the Librarium, I think)

Yeah, I suck at freehand. Seriously I can barely paint inside the lines. But I did Freehand the checkered 4th company symbol on the right side of the sarcophogus. I am going to paint the stylised 4 on top of that. I all my plasma cannons in my army are green but I think I am going to change that to blue, the model just has too much green in it. I don't really like the look of highlights so much though. I think I am going to try weathering it a bit. Oh and I will try and freehand a sword on the leg plate. Hopefully that will be enough. The ideas are great keep them coming. If I ever get to play again I want an army I can be proud of.

Archived