Iron Clad

GhostLegion

Ok, since I promised this in another thread recently, here is my WIP Iron Clad Dreadnought for my personal chapter. As this thing took so long to assemble and shape (close to 15 hours of work getting it right), I do not currently plan to do another...this may be part of the reason I pieced it together the way I did. As always, questions comments and criticisms are welcome!

gallery_9540_2798_46683.jpg

What a smashing job! (Yes, pun intended!) The overall conversion is very nice, and it looks terrifying. The hurricane bolter is quite novel - how did you do it?

But I think the concept for the seismic hammer is a bit off. It's dead smashy, yes, but what if the dread drops the hammer? Is it limber enough to bend down and pick it up again?

What I am trying to say is, why make it so complicated - why have a giant animate hand AND a separate hammer? I'd think a giant pneumatic battering ram, or at least a hammer incorporated into the dreadnought suit, would be more practical. I completely agree with the Rule of Cool, and would not dissuade you. Your excellent conversion just doesn't mesh with my conception of a seismic hammer.

That said, you've done an excellent job of modelling and painting! ;)

Yes Shaun Carlin, that is the hand of a Gundam. I wasn't sure it would work out, but once everything was in place it kind of fit and looked right. The pose with that hand gives almost a feeling of arrogance comming off the model. I got that hand from the Gouf Custom kit...

@RRChristensen: When I started this I had not seen the rumored cg mock up of the iron clad and only had the name to go off. Even after seeing that I did not like the "seismic hammer" concept in it. The first hammer I tried is still being refined (think hammer throw and youll start to get the idea...big ball and chain basically). This hammer seemed to fit the bill for a "seismic hammer" once i finished building it out of plasticard. Basic idea would have some sort of coupling in the hand to power the hammer once it is gripped propperly....and yes, as the arm is longer now with that hand in place, I would assume the dread is nimble enough to be able to pick up the hammer if it fell flat.

The hurricane bolter here started as an assault cannon arm. What i did was to slice off and smooth down the join point. to that I attached a small piece of plasticard which serves as the attach point for the chopped down bolters you see there. Additionally on that face is a small piece of square plasticard that serves as a spacer seperating the bolters. On the top and bottom and sides I added additional plasticard to box it out, leaving space for the ammo box and feed belt. As everything is square fit, the pieces come together pretty easily, though the bottom piece (near the ammo box) takes a little cutting and trimming to work out. The final bits were cut down sections of round tube for the rivet points...

The advantage here is that I am not using either the new plastic LR hurricane bolter of the old metal version. Neither of those tend to fit right on a dreadnought without serious work. These minor adjustments to the dreadnought arm produce a hurricane bolter that fits and looks right on a dreadnought...not to mention giving a nice flat surface to play with when painting.

Archived