Outflank, Deep Strike, Summoning

Mutt-Man!

My previous topics have been tossing around bored, time for something constructive for a change.

Outflank

-Chosen

Deep Strike

-Winged HQ's

-Terminator armored HQ's

-Chaos Terminators

-Obliterators

-Raptors (Ref pg51 "Jump Infantry")

Summoning (Icons)

-Lesser Daemons

Possession

-Greater Daemon

*Very risky in an army that doesnt start on the table.

Fast stuff 12"+charge capable

-Raptors and Jump HQ's

-Bikes and Bike HQ's

-Land Raider transported units

-Chaos Spawns

Ok with that list in mind you will know what I speak of. I know you old timers arent stupid, its a habbit to post a template for newer fellas. So dont mind me.

We can board any transport in 5th edition as long as we dont start inside the vehicle with the unit that didn't buy the transport. (Ref. Terminator units can take a land raider) So then with that in mind, two nice little troops and elite terminator units would be a baseline for this fast army setup. Second turn assault preferably. Don't forget that the 2" disembark rule is like coherency, your models bases dont have to be entirely inside 2" of the transport hatch. So that could leave you with a massive range from the front of a land raider assault ramp. Adding I would say, roughly just below 3" from the front of a land raider, moving twice leaving you with 12"+12"+2.75"+6" assault, that is within 2 turns. Most transports it is wise NOT to start inside the vehicle at the start of the game, so that only enhances the idea of not being able to start inside with your troops.

So then, pick your troops. Some may prefer the rapid fire of thousand sons. Others may want the transport destruction durability of Plague Marines. Again a assault team full of fabius bile enhanced marines with an icon or fat plad with berzerkers. Even noise marines make due with their super powerful "flame" weapon in short range fights. If you plan on having lesser daemons, pack icons with your troops. Something has to start on the battlefield to really make use of daemons, so this standard is a good getup. You start with anti tank weapons, and termicide/hard deep strike units as well, without using up heavy support just yet.

The ruling of deddicated transports, reserves and teleporting chaos terminators.

The vehicle is not a part of the unit, it does not have to keep coherency, and if the vehicle and terminators are both picked to remain as reserves then the terminators must be specified if they are arriving with the land raider while inside it, or teleporting separately, in which case they are either rolled together or separately. This sets them apart, and so then they can be deployed separately if the terminators are held back to deep strike.

-Also, the same scale as having 20 marines and a rhino for a unit it cannot transport, no rule abiding no rule forcing.

Then with all of that out of the way we have a minimum standard of 2 termicides at 90 pts each, 2 units of troops varying (since we like nice troops for objectives), two land raiders base at 220 each. So we've got 620+troops, a basic 1k force. We could develop a very different force with rhinos and smaller troop units, but that would deface the assault portion of the tactical balance of taking advantage of the enemies weakness. Be it imperial guard and tau, or facing tyranids and orks. Even Thousand Sons can chase down a chaplain and give him a bad hair(skull)day in melee combat.

Tanks, power weapons, stiff troops, all sounds good. Now with all the other fast options, including icons in the army for everything else as well as teleport homing devices (remember, Jumpers/Winged dont benefit from icons deep striking). Lets bash around a few ideas. Termicide, Bike-Cide, Rapt-Cide units and I have even seen Sorc-cide characters run around being one hit wonders. They all work effectively. They all like being around 140 or less points, most being just past 120. Most of them like killing their cost before they die, and the fast versions can run up behind your land raiders. These can be your short range firepower thats reliable. I find the best combination is keeping them straight to the point, have two for the weakness for your army, and make the further ones for whatever you feel like. They cover weakness very well, so keep that in mind.

The troops arent vital as to what you pick as long as you back them up properly. If you get close with thousand sons, be sure to have enough punch in your choice of guns to make it hurt. Small as this force may seem, it is along the lines of using an advanced "Grey Knights" army. Except your units of every kind are cheaper for the same ability and abilities they lack. (Thus I say advanced, refer to searching for water tactics)

Its all about getting your units in the right spots, so when your raiders are empty, make sure they use their bulk to become walls so you dont get overwhelmed. Chew up his flanks or charge up the middle and split him apart. Your deep strikers quickest arrival time is never too soon for this force. Late arrival times (such as a counter-attacking static army would prefer) is the type that harms you. Icons duplicate your reliability being a homing device and having 0 scatter is a great ability for you to pound. This prevents your terminators being wiped out before reaching the enemy. This also makes your daemons effective, arriving unharmed at full strength and even for objective taking if you prefer to use other units like havocs with special weapons inside the land raiders. A flurry of 10 flame templates is nothing to gawk at.(combi-weapon on champ, another if HQ's are added)

This spearhead has been a forefront of my annoying force that keeps people out of their comfort zone. Oddly enough it does best against eldar. Not because the tanks die, but because the strong speed the army forces the eldar into the range of fighting and lack of shooting in continuing turns as the marines munch their core and take the game. Sisters of battle give this setup a run for its money, and would perhaps be best to forefit the raiders for Rhinos, and block as many bolters using the rhinos as walls as much as possible. Against daemon hunters though this force never fails to amaze me. Orks and Tyranids have mixed results, and with Imperial Guard its make or break in the first turn, very lopsided if both raiders dont die in the first game turn. Tau absoloutly abhor this force in most setups I've faced, so much so that an army geared to take this one down is favored to actually make it a fair fight. (Or so my friend says to me, he hates raiders of all kinds - even DE)

For a shooty style, blast weapons are preferred to split the enemy so you can nibble at the edge of his units. Remember, one model in range of all 10 of youres, means you can still make 10 kills because of once your in range, your in range of everything in the unit that your aiming at. Great for sonic and warpfire bolt gunners.

Sample list: 1501

2 Raiders, 1 HQ, 29 MEQ-ish, 10 Lesser Daemons

110~ Sorcerer: Doombolt, Force Weapon, Pistol, Grenades

115~ 3 Chaos Terminators: 2 Combi-Melta+2 Power Weapons, 1 Heavy Flamer+Power Fist

220~ Chaos Land Raider: Standard TLHB+2 TLLC

115~ 3 Chaos Terminators: 2 Combi-Melta+2 Power Weapons, 1 Heavy Flamer+Power Fist

220~ Chaos Land Raider: Standard TLHB+2 TLLC

259~ 8 Thousand Sons: Bolter+Warpbolts, Icon, +1 Sorcerer: Doombolt

180~ 10 Chaos Marines: Bolters, Pistols, Grenades, CCWs, 2 Plasma Guns

65~ 5 Lesser Daemons: See Codex

65~ 5 Lesser Daemons: See Codex

152~ 4 Chaos Bikers: 2 Meltaguns

Not bad right? Get past the pain of putting two raiders in there and you can build quite a force around it. Can even stuff the raiders as heavy support if you really feel like it, or if someone argues about the ruling. I used this force to flank up one side, and tore all three leman russes before turn 2 was over while managing a melee confrontation with a large core of infantry that hid much of my force on his end of the table. The additions I would make for a 2k, is a second bike unit followed by a short range havoc squad in a rhino that follows the raiders. Maybe a pair of Vindicators if not that.

Thoughts, opinions, links, other lists similar to this style all appreciated.

Archived