Drop pod Dread tactics

waaanial00

Hi all,

I was thinking the other day about how to make my Drop Podding IronClad last a little longer and be a little more effective during the game and a tactic hit me. Upon exiting the drop pod deploy smoke. It was so simple I am certain that it has been thought of and tried by some of you out there so I thought I would ask. Is this a good option or a waste of a sneaky melta shot?

I am also still mulling over my dread + pod tactics. How close should I get? I absolutely hate foot slogging my dreads because they only see action in turn 3 if they dont get killed before hand and they never make much impact (mind you most of the opponents I face at the moment are Chaos - 4 out of the last 5). If I drop my dreads right in their face I imagine that they will get melta blasted however if I stick back then they dont do much at all.

Any thoughts on Drop Pod deployment for dreads? I was thinking of treating them like infiltrators and aiming for a 18" from the enemy deployment (knowing fare well that they will scatter).

Cheers

Wan

I've dropped smoke pretty much every time when I drop in. Unless you reeeally need to take something out immediately and need to use the melta on the rear armor of a such and such, dropping smoke is a great tactic. Most players will still shoot at it, keeping the rest of your army that much safer.

I kit my ironclad with twin heavy flamers; anything armoured can be eaten for breakfast in CC, and if it HAS to die I am not going to rely on one melta shot to do it.

If you scatter and don't have a decent target, then smoke away. But I land my pod next to a juicy unit that won't like two S5 templates on them, and would rather toast them than hide.

RoV

If you scatter and don't have a decent target, then smoke away. But I land my pod next to a juicy unit that won't like two S5 templates on them, and would rather toast them than hide.

Agreed. The whole point of dropping an Ironclad next to an enemy unit is to reduce that unit to so much smoking ash and then forcing the enemy to deal with it immediately or continue to lose units at a scary pace. You really don't want to discourage your enemy from throwing shots at your Armor 13 Ironclad by popping smoke, unless your enemy has an utterly obscene amount of anti-tank firepower on-hand.

I'll echo the double-heavy flamer sentiment. If you're drop-podding a Dread, you want those heavy flamers. You can pretty much eradicate any non-PA infantry resistance in the area using them.

Stormbolters on a podding dread are useless.

Archived