New to B&C and the Chaos Space Marines

Chaos_Glory

Heya, :lol:

I have been looking for a dedicated Space Marines forum for a long time and the B&C has the best information and resources I’ve ever seen! I started the Chaos Space Marines (and Warhammer 40,000) on exactly the same day as the 4th edition rulebook was released and I must admit that things have changed since those not so glorious old days, if you catch my meaning.

I’ve had the new Codex since it was released but I simply can’t get my head around all of these options, I never had such freedom with the old Codex so I need some expert advice on forging my own Chaos Warband. I guess I should start be helping you to help me by explaining about what games I play etc…

• I game a lot at Games Workshop stores so it’s always on 4x4 board at 1000pts.

• I prefer infantry over vehicles, I have horrendous luck with anything that has an armour value!

• I’m not interested in crushing my opponents, I got that mindset out of my system with the old Codex anyway! :FA:

• As mentioned earlier, I game primarily at GW stores so it will be the standard missions I’ll be playing.

• I’ve never had a single game under the 5th edition rules, I know, shameful isn’t it? :HS:

And that’s me in a nutshell, basically a n00b to wargaming all over again. :HQ: Apart from advice on what units suit a new player, I would like some help making my own Warband because as much as I love the Legions, the chance to make my own band of superhuman madmen is just too tempting to pass, the stories and example colour schemes in the new Codex are very cool and inspiring but when it comes to making my own ideas my brain turns to mush!

Again I reckon I’ll just list what stuff I like out of the new Codex and then you can just point me in the right direction.

• My two favourite Warbands in the Codex are the Purge and the Cleaved.

• I don’t know if any of you know of this model, but I adore the Forge World Lord Zhufor model, such power and menace!

• I like the story about the Constantinus Iconoclasm, the idea that just a Sergeant could wreak so much havoc is brilliant.

• If I were told which of the Chaos Legions I like, it would have to be the Iron Warriors and the Word Bearers.

• I like the story about the Chosen Champion Adrastus.

I hope this information is helpful for you and any help is greatly appreciated. Before I finish, I would like to know which of the following names would suit a Chaos Lord?

• Barqu Atlas

• Thoth Acheron

• Verin Phosphor

• Moloch Quirinus

• Mantus Alecto

• Demoriel Tantalus

• Dantalian Scylla

• Xuthos Morta

• Perdix Achilles

• Kaletor Hyperion

• Isidor Lethe

Thanks! ;)

Hiyas, welcome to the BnC the best Power Armor EVER!

names

Xuthos Morta

Dantalian Scylla

Isidor Lethe

units:

maybe a good squad of Zerkers

Plaugemarines definitely

termies if you can fit them in...

The Zhufor model is phenomenal!

EDIT: forgot my manners, no greeting

Welcome to B&C

I believe the purged and cleaved are nurgle (maybe so unmarked or IoCG also). Which is fine b/c plaguemarines are some of the best troops in the game, and will do ok footslogging (as you don't like vehicles) b/c they are so tough (but movement will still be a problem for you).

If you have no already read the "chaos lord handbook" and the asp. champs handbook in the GRAVIS section of this forum, you'll find lotsa good info in there.

As for the name of the lord...you are own your own.

it sure is a great model it's just a shame a termie lord is probably the worst HQ choice in the dex, although in 1000 pts games on a 4x4 board you'd probably get away with it (providing you swap out the arms for lightning claws), if your set on a kinda nurgle theme with either the purged or cleaved you'd be better off with a nurgle daemon prince with wings and the nurgle daemon prince model is pretty cool looking.

I was thinking about taking a couple of squads of the ordinary Chaos Space Marines first, I know a lot of people praise Rhino rushing nowadays but I have distrust towards vehicles. :) Reckon I bombarded you all with too much info but I have a couple of rough ideas about what army I would like.

I was thinking of making a Khornate Warband led by the Zhufor model with the Twin-Lightning Claws from the Terminator Lord/Sorcerer set (mega drool!) And instead of taking Berzerkers I would prefer to take ordinary Chaos Space Marines but with the Forge World Berzerker torso’s and shoulder pads, think the Cult of Blood from Dawn of War Winter Assault.

My other idea was an army of the Purge or the Cleaved, again with ordinary Chaos Space Marines carrying Nurgle Icons and then maybe a single Plague Marine squad instead of an Elites or Fast Attack choice.

huh, i thought he had special rules or something.

I think he might get some rules in the next Imperial Armour, but it won't be anything special probably just a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Khorne, Power Axe, Powefist and Twin-Linked Bolter. What I don't understand is why didn't they publish his rules in Imperial Armour 6? Strange... :)

it sure is a great model it's just a shame a termie lord is probably the worst HQ choice in the dex, although in 1000 pts games on a 4x4 board you'd probably get away with it (providing you swap out the arms for lightning claws), if your set on a kinda nurgle theme with either the purged or cleaved you'd be better off with a nurgle daemon prince with wings and the nurgle daemon prince model is pretty cool looking.

Hmmm not sure I would call a Terminator Lord with a Deamon Weapon and a mark of Khorne a terrible choice, up to 17 attacks on the charge with a power weapon. If your a bit scared of rolling 2 dice on a deamon weapon take a Slanesh one up to 11 attacks that will instakill anyone thats not an eternal warrior. I personaly think the Lords are as good as a Deamon Prince not as hard core but at least you hide them in troops and use transports. I would rate a Lord over Khârn, Lucious, Fabius , Huron and perhaps even Typhus.

I play Loyalist Marines as well and would love a HQ choice of a Lord for the same points.

Isador Morta

(Sorry I liked these two together)

Some things you should remember, vehicles are tougher vs firepower and lighter vs melee uness it walks. Grenades can hurt walkers on 6 to hit it. Units give cover to any other units behind them either way no matter who owns the unit. (Read the cover rules -carefully-)

So all that in mind, having tougher guys are cool. The two plague forces can represent your plague marines and/or normal marines using an icon of nurgle. Preferably though the plague marines, they are good. Almost every chaos unit is worth its points in a melee. Try to keep a powerfist in a squad or two if you happen to engage a walker, since melee may be tempting. Mobile firepower is a key element now, because of the run rule and cover rules. (Shoot with a unit, then run a unit ahead of them to cover them) namely obliterators benefit from this.

Blasts always land somewhere using scatter dice, so thats a bonus. No shame in packing plenty of ord/blast templates. Also rhinos are great, but are bad if you dont have anything out there to tempt firepower away from them. Otherwise you should keep it empty and run it forward, spinning it where its side faces the enemy and let it die to become cover. Then again, having 2 vindicators spearheading some rhinos is also a nice way to go about it.

Read also on this forum's search engine (top right of page) on anything that may have been discussed before. You will find that Terminators, Obliterators, Daemon Princes, Defilers, Noise Marines, Berzerkers and Plague Marines are tried and true choices. Meanwhile our basic chaos marines and marine elements like Vindicators, Land Raiders and the like are also slightly above par.

Welcome to chaos.

Enjoy.

huh, i thought he had special rules or something.

I think he might get some rules in the next Imperial Armour, but it won't be anything special probably just a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Khorne, Power Axe, Powefist and Twin-Linked Bolter. What I don't understand is why didn't they publish his rules in Imperial Armour 6? Strange... :huh:

People use him as a counts-as Abaddon from what i've heard.

Welcome fellow Legionnaire!

For the two legions you mentioned you liked and out of the names you have I'd say these:

Iron Warriors:

Verin

Xuthos

Perdix

Word Bearers

Demoriel

Dantalian

Personally I don't like the last names and they didn't seem to fit the legions, but those first names seem to.

Archived