The Horus Heresy series: a prediction

metcalfedan

Hey guys, just like to share with you some of my thoughts about the future of the Horus Heresy series:

(assuming there will be 42 books in total spread over 15 years this is my best guesstimate of what they will be like)

1. Horus Rising (novel)

2. False Gods (novel)

3. Galaxy In Flames (novel)

4. Flight Of The Isenstein (novel)

5. Fulgrim (novel)

6. Descent Of Angels (novel)

7. Legion (novel)

8. Battle For The Abyss (novel)

9. Mechanicum (novel)

10. Tales Of Heresy (short story compilation)

11. Fallen Angels (novel)

12. prospero Burns (novel)

13. Unnamed sequel to Prospero Burns (novel)

14. Unknown (novel)

15. Unknown (novel)

16. Unknown (novel)

17. Unknown (novel)

18. Unknown (novel)

19. Unknown (novel)

20. Unknown (short story compilation)

21. Unknown (novel)

22. Unknown (novel)

23. Unknown (novel)

24. Unknown (novel)

25. Unknown (novel)

26. Unknown (novel)

27. Unknown (novel)

28. Unknown (novel)

29. Unknown (novel)

30. Unknown (short story compilation)

31. Unknown (novel)

32. Unknown (novel)

33. Unknown (novel)

34. Unknown (novel)

35. Unknown (novel)

36. Unknown (novel)

37. Unknown (novel)

38. Unknown (novel)

39. Unknown (novel)

40. Unknown (short story compilation)

41. Siege of Terra/Endgame Part 1 (novel)

42. Siege of Terra/Endgame Part 2 (novel)

Just my thoughts, please discuss and tell me what you guys think. Thanks for your time.

Well we are already well into the heresy (istvaan and the war on mars are already behind us)

Up next we have prospero, the dark angel civil war, probably battle of calth (hopefully a better sequel to Battle For The Abyss),

The set after will probably be about the warmaster making his drive to terra, and having massive legion vs legion battles, with the final bit of it ending as horus breaks into the terran system

The first of the last two novels is when they finally land and make siege on terra, it ending with the walls of the imperial palace falling and the united traitor legions race towards the gap, howling praises to the dark gods as the novel ends in a cliff hanger

The last novel will be a desperate fight, the legions fighting in the once glorious imperial palace, ending with the emperor teleporting onto horus's battle barge and the most epic fight of all time begins.

I can see 32 novels, but not 42 (not enough cool material), and now that the series is kicking into full swing (it was not as well known a few years ago) GW will probably concentrate more on them

I predict 6, maybe 7 years MAX

Hmm, maybe the other 10 (33 to 42) novels will deal with the Traitors fleeing to the Eye of Terror, the Ultramarines rebuilding the Imperium and the surviving Primarchs disappearing or dying.

Yeah that could work, it could be all of the stories from between the 33rd millenium (33.) up till the 42nd (42.) in a way. ¬_¬

Hmm, maybe the other 10 (33 to 42) novels will deal with the Traitors fleeing to the Eye of Terror, the Ultramarines rebuilding the Imperium and the surviving Primarchs disappearing or dying.

Yeah that could work, it could be all of the stories from between the 33rd millenium (33.) up till the 42nd (42.) in a way. ¬_¬

No need to be a smart ass. ;)

The reason I suggested it because these events would be a clear aftermath of the Horus Heresy. The war is over and there is some interval period before things turn as they are now. So I guess those novels would take place around m31, depending on when the Heresy exactly ends. Perhaps ending with the last Primarch disapearing/dying or with the Legions actually breaking up, basically ending the time of the Primarchs and their Legions.

who said it wouls take 15 years to finish writing the horus heresy novels

15 years is a long time

i refuse to belive that

So one member posted that rumor of 42 novels over 15 years.

And the basis for his credibility was his claim that his mother worked for GW.

Color me skeptical, but that doesn't carry any weight whatsoever. It might be true, but it's based on one individual's claim and doesn't appear to have any other backing whatsoever.

Is there a credible GW/BL source that has substantiated this rumor?

And I personally doubt that the novels will extend beyond the events of the Horus Heresy. It's called the "Horus Heresy" series for a reason, after all. That won't stop GW/BL from writing other books covering the Scouring and other historical events/periods later, of course, but those should be titled appropriately (I'd love to see series about the Age of Apostasy and the Badab War).

At this point, pretty much everything appears to be spurious rumors and speculation, and everyone seems to be biting hook, line, and sinker.

And I personally doubt that the novels will extend beyond the events of the Horus Heresy. It's called the "Horus Heresy" series for a reason, after all. That won't stop GW/BL from writing other books covering the Scouring and other historical events/periods later, of course, but those should be titled appropriately (I'd love to see series about the Age of Apostasy and the Badab War).

Yet the novels seem to cover parts of the Great Crusade as well...I thought it was called "Horus Heresy". If the Great Crusade could be seen as a prelude to the Heresy, the Scouring could be seen as the closure of the Heresy. Eventhough Horus was dead the war wasn't over. I guess they could be seen as some sort of epilogue of a sorts.

Maybe I'm cliche, but the way a lot of sci-fi prequel novel series have gone, it doesnt matter if they leave a lot of doors open, or tie everything up. Meaning more or less books, details left out, etc. I actually think this series will wrap up in another 5, maybe 7 books.

In detail, I cite the Dune prequel trilogies, which occurred 10,000 years and about 30 years before the original Dune. They left a good deal open to interpretation, and even though you could vaguely piece together what was happening, and where certain characters would end up, it in no way shut the door on speculation. There were a TON of things that couldve been mentioned and added.

I think the HH books will follow suit. I would be more than dissappointed if we missed details, such as the battles on Prospero, the Seige of Terra, The Lion coming home, The Iron Cage and the formation of the Codex Astartes. Actually, I'm anxious to see the pursuit of the traitor legions into the Eye of Terror and some of the 'retaliatory' actions of the loyalists.

-P

I think considering the nature of novel-writing, and the way the authors involved are springing up with new ideas all the time (Legion for example, was entirely off Dan Abnett's initiative), even considering the ever-fastidious nature of Alan Merrett, I really can't believe they would be able to plan that far ahead.

They might have some rough plan (I think everyone reading the series imagines that its roughly going to follow that kind of pattern and feature that many books, a rumour is not necessary), but as the characters and stories develop lives of their own we could see it branching off into all kinds of ideas along with the stories we know from Collected Visions will be prominent.

I think there is going to be a whole book on just the epic battle between Horus and Chuck Norris, ll about how Chuck refused to use his full strength, and then owned Horus by implying pressure with his right pinky.

I suppose the Horus Heresy booklines will be one of the main "cash-cows" for BL, GW and associated. Hence, I am not surprised that the line would continue for a while. But for 15 years? Abit too long and risky since fans like us might become impatient.

Looking forward to Fallen Angels ! (rant closed)

That wouldnt be the Horus Heresy though, that would be the Scourging. :cuss

13. Unnamed sequel to Prospero Burns (novel)

The name of this has been confirmed. Its called "A Thousand Sons" :)

aw man, 42!! that's too many novels to handle :P

Possibly, have to build a bigger bookshelf so that they can all be lined up on one shelf. Besides, 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything :D

So how long has the series been going then?? Call me ignorant, but I only picked up Horus Rising last November, I walked into the store and asked him to sell me anything as long as it had "Dan Abnett" in big letters on the spine!

I was wondering why I was starting to run out of books to read, since that time I'm already up to Battle For the Abyss, so if it's been going for a while already then it's going to take a while for more to come out! I might have to save them up so I can read them all once like I have been doing so far! It might give me a chance to go and read some other series like the Grey Knights and Titanicus

So how long has the series been going then?? Call me ignorant, but I only picked up Horus Rising last November, I walked into the store and asked him to sell me anything as long as it had "Dan Abnett" in big letters on the spine!

I was wondering why I was starting to run out of books to read, since that time I'm already up to Battle For the Abyss, so if it's been going for a while already then it's going to take a while for more to come out! I might have to save them up so I can read them all once like I have been doing so far! It might give me a chance to go and read some other series like the Grey Knights and Titanicus

Why, with the benefit of hinsight would you want to read the Grey Knight series? If you want the reason why Grey Knights suck in the tabletop game. look no further. (Its because their leaders IQ varies with room temperature)

Titanicus is where its at though. The first two books of the ultramarines series are pretty good. especially Warriors of Ultramar

Archived