master of the forge

Leto

here's my try at a master of the forge with conversion beamer and thunder hammer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shep1983/sets...57616181697088/

parts list

two ravenwing tech marine shoulder pads, two land speeder multi meltas, one vehicle sprue tech marine body, one set dark angel terminator legs, one space wolf power axe, one dark angel assault cannon, one devastator Sergeant head, one assault cannon target light and some plastic card.

Back pack

trim the two multi meltas and glue together using plastic card to cover the gaps.

Thunder hammer

remove the axe head leaving some power cable. Trim the base and light of the targeter and then glue onto axe shaft.

Beamer.

remove most of the cannon barrel and then replace with weapon ( not sure what but thinking necron gauss weapon). trim arm top to fit inside shoulder pad.

This is my first major conversion so any help or ideas would be good.

Is there any way you could get better pictures? It looks and sounds like an interesting conversion but you're pictures its hard to tell what everything is. Try and find a good Macro Camera. It also looks as though your lighting doesnt help very much, perhaps try and take some pictures in the daylight or with a second light on the opposite side of the first.

yeah will try and do new images tomorrow.

but since i posted its had a head swap to the normal marine heavy weapon helmet (with the bionics on the side) due to the other one not fitting.

Also I'm trying one of the city ruins lights as a weapon barrel. (the long one)

as promissed here are some beter res pictures.

once again though i found another tempting part in my bits box, which should i use the scratch built plastic body or the metal Thunderfire cannon tech marine body?

gallery_44499_3433_595121.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_50962.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_1021415.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_1202779.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_64955.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_581113.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_1143861.jpg

gallery_44499_3433_1419494.jpg

i'd use the scratch buolt body rather than thunderfire one... liking te backpack, only thing is the conversion beamer looks too big fo him... maybe use a terminator torso as the basis for the body as its bulkier than a marine torso.

also, are your going to add more cales running to the backpack from the gun?

You have some very good use of bits there! I think the backpack is great and very suitable to generate the power needed for the beamer, which in itself looks good. I only say 'good' as it looks a bit incomplete - it needs some power feeds from the pack etc to bulk it up a touch, especially around the joint where the mystery bit attaches to the assault cannon.

Your scratch built body is the better of the two options, but (as is always the problem with a marine torso and termi legs) the waist is a bit scrawny. I just had a think of ways to bulk it up a touch and apart from a lot of GS or robes, you could add pouches etc. He is the MoTF so should have ample tools to fix things where he needs. Come to think of it, remember the wee lego tools (spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, etc)? If you have any you could attach these to his belt to add bulk and a functional feeling.

Al

thanks for the advice, i have loads of normal marine pouches etc kicking about, so they'll get used.

as for the power cable there is going to be a length of earthing sleve linking the beamer to the back pack.

I like the idea behind the beamer, but I think it looks a little unweildy, the assault cannon is already huge and this is way longer and bulkier in the barrel end. It makes the arm and cannon body look undersized.

I'd try and shorten the beamer down a little bit maybe cutting down the rotary area of the assault cannon and have it mounted flush right in front of the fist, or alternately build up the arm and fist so it looks like it's the size of a powerfist and that the bulkiness is intentional. Sort of like an exoskeleton effect meant to carry the weight of the beamer.

I think he should also have a power arm worked into the model, if he's the MOF even if he doesn't have a full servo harness he needs at least a single servo arm to work with when fortifying terrain etc.

The thunderhammer looks great, looks very machine/tech like and not the standard marine hammer.

Is he going to be a dark angels techmarine? I'd use just one of the techmarine sholder pads (on his right arm) then use a blank pad as the stock tech marines try and wear both the mechanicus and marine chapter icons. They don't want to piss off the marine chapter by honoring the mechanicus above the chapter. If he's not going to be a DA techmarine there's alternate techmarine sholder pads on the vehicle acressory sprue that comes with rhinos or landraiders.

I like what you have so far, just that I think you can tighten up the design a bit so it'll make the model's awesomeness pop even more.

it looks pretty good. I like the look of the light, though it looks minorly off to me for some reason.

The backpack is abit to flat. Try working in elements of the traditional Pack Heatsinks, etc/termie exhaust style. Right now it looks very much like two Multimeltas in a special casing. Adding more back pack style features will help blend it in.

Other then that its pretty nifty like conversion, now quite how I like my conversion Beamer (stupidly large to the point of being nearly useless upclose except as a club.)

Archived