forgive me if it's allready been asked

Fausto2071

so a pretty decent daemon army will have daemons from the four DGs, but fluff-wise how do these daemons work together if their patrons hate each other? do you all say that Tzeentch has once again banded the gods together in an uneasy truce to later further his own schemes? what are your guys' fluff?

NO FORGIVENESS :)

The codex kind of explains it. The patron gods hate each other, but individual bands of daemons might be able to come up with justification for it.

Honestly, if you buy into the idea that the chaos gods are kind of elemental forces that kill/feel/rot/change for the sake of killing/feeling/rotting/changing, then they're in it for self-gratification. And if you and some others can't necessarily agree on exactly waht you're doing, you might at least agree that hanging together (for the time being) gets you what you want.

As for the allegiences...

There are two sets of opposing pairs.

Khorne/Slaanesh: Khorne kills, Slaanesh luxuriates in experience. Obviously, the dead don't feel a lot, so these two are mutuall exclusive.

Tzeentch/Nurgle: Tzeentch mutates and grows and plots; Nurgle rots and stagnates. Can't really get BOTH.

Khorne also has a hate on for Tzeentch because Tzeentch isn't direct; Tzeentch likes plotting and shooting while Khorne generally likes to get up close and personal without any fooling around before taking your head off.

Nurgle has no problem with Khorne or Slaanesh. Slaanesh doesn't have a real problem with Tzeentch. Well, here I mean 'real problem' other than hogging worshippers. Tzeentch will work with anyone, according to the current plot.

Basically, you can probably justify BANDS working together. Besides, at points there have been times when some gods set aside differences for brief periods to work together. The Horus Heresy was part of that, as Chaos felt threatened by the Emperor. It just takes the right thing/time/whim to get them all moving in the same direction.

Simple answer: it's Chaos and anything can happen.

==My== Daemonic incursion is the result of a certain Lord of Change's scheming, one M'x'tr'x Lighteater. He stole a glimpse of the well of eternity when he thought Tzeentch wasn't looking and saw a strand of fate resulting in him gaining unfathomable power and becoming a Chaos God in his own right. So he's pursuing it and making all sorts of pacts and calling in favors with other Daemons to get it done.

His latest scheming has brought him and his allies to the Imperial world Kaelos IV. The system is being threatened by an errant Hive Fleet and Ork uprising from one of its own worlds and M'x'tr'x wants something beyond the usual doom and destruction. The warp portal gets opened by a malfunctioning Shokk Attack Gun and Daemons pour out of the rift to do their thing.

Bah! Who needs fluff? I have an all Nurgle force led by greater daemons of Khorne and Slaanesh :) Works well too. But yeah it's more about what the daemon in charge wants rather than the God. If a bloodthirster wants some horrors to help him kill people, Khorne probably won't care much, he's too busy anyway. Same with the other gods.

I had thought about doing a "competition" list, where you have 2 competing cohorts, in this case Tzeentch and Khorne, and they are both trying to get onto the battlefield first and do the lion's share of murder and mayhem.

Functionally, it creates a very easy way of doing the 2 Cohorts, one god's army in one, the other in the other one.

What we are seeing here is some revisionist fluff on the part of GW and IMHO, it’s motivated solely by marketing. It’s been a long lasting tradition that the Chaos powers are monolithic in the extreme and their rivalry is legendary. The fluff in the C:CD is consistent with this but then deviates when it comes to army composition.

To be fair, there is ONE rule reflects this tradition. All IC’s of a particular Chaos god can only attach to units of the same dedication. So there’s never a Khorne Herald leading a big squad of Daemonettes. At least to that extent it’s consistent but that’s right where it ends.

There is “some” justification presented in that when Daemons break into the material world it’s under extreme circumstances. As such, extreme and supposedly temporary alliances form which then dissolve back into violent rivalry once everyone gets back to the Warp. So yeah, right, whatever.

When I first started playing my daemons, I started right off with a blasphemous mix of Khorne & Slaneesh. There were some local, die-hard traditional players who refused to play me. Not because the army was overpowered but because they couldn’t stand the contrary fluff.

But as I started out. The army will sell more models if you can mix and match freely as opposed to funnel people down a more siloed view of list building. So Epidemus can shake hands with the Blue Scribes, share a joke or two about eternal change vs. eternal decay and join forces to achieve some equally beneficial infernal goal.

And BTW while we’re on the topic: How do you map this to the standard missions found in the BRB? Makes you really wonder what Objective Markers really represent and why a Daemon would care if he/she/it was holding it or not anyway.

But that’s a whole another discussion. -OMG

I always thought that it'll be appropriate if the daemons could turn every mission win-condition ito kill point, this way we dont have to worry about our squishy troops and actually field them without reservation.

Why would daemons care about that little patch of green? they're here to kill/mutate/rot/entrance :D..... not to play king-of-hill

The patch of hill is the eye of a warp vortex and control of it will allow one to strengthen/diminish the disturbance as needed. There is an injured soldier, either a psyker or a blank who needs enslaving/killing. There is an ancient artifact buried deep: a dormant warp/webway portal, a sigil of a particular Chaos power, the bones of a Daemon Prince, and so on.

I'd go with ==Me== here. Daemons are random.

Maybe holding that piece of ground will tick off the locals, or maybe it's unholy.

EDIT

I do have to agree a bit with OMG. Then again, if they really wanted peopel to build balanced armies, they'd need to make each chaos god capable of building a fairly balanced force.

As is? If you went exclusively with a mon-god army and the attendant daemon princes, you'd get a very one-dimensional army. Choose: shooty, slow/durable/not-killy, fast/weak/rending, or slow power weapons.

From what I can remember its a case of, yes the 4 gods hate eachother, but they hate us so much more. Combined with the rarity of demonic incursions when one does pop up its less a unified army and more of free for all to get the most hummies, like a demonic boxing day :D

Khorne has a hate on for Tzeentch because Tzeentch isn't direct; Tzeentch likes plotting and shooting while Khorne generally likes to get up close and personal without any fooling around before taking your head off.

I could be wrong here but I think you have this incorrect.

Khorne and Slaanesh don't get along

Nurgle and Tzeentch don't hang

As far as I know "that's it and that's all"

Archived