Chaos Apoc

Mutt-Man!

-Dont throw this into apoc, this is a unit preference question for the case that they will be used in. Just like a blood angels player would go to the BA portion of the site for codex preference stuff and not apoc. Thanks mods.

I have two different ways I want to go with this next apoc game within the week and I want opinions which force I should run with.

I have 90-zerkers as a mainstay (rest is undecided) for one force and they will use the strategic asset where they come in from reserves from any table edge. All with plaspistols and powerfist champ. This force will come from behind and sack as many super heavy tanks as they can (opponents often run with 6-20 baneblades) and hoping being in melee range will stop them from using big blasts, and turn their tanks rears to my allies fire. I always run with the less tank heavy side.

Then my other force where I use 10 size CSM units with icons of tzeentch and 2 meltagun units, also using kraks to slap rears of tanks. Again the same strategic asset slapping them from behind, should I use plasmaguns instead I suppose? I can work two full 3k's.

/////

Next way I want to go is the asset where I make all my units scoring, and run with lots of terminators that deep strike in. Making them scoring units full size of 10's with icons of tzeentch (gotta have inv saves). This batch will have plenty of combi-melta and chainfist.

Again with the same strategic asset I want to run lots of units of flamers of tzeentch/horrors and about 5 or 6 greater daemons.

Suggestions on which list seems to poke around better? I have been using my tyranids too much in apoc lately as Ive gotten back into 40k not too long ago dusting off all my mini's... Baneblade players know when I'm in, they move away from their table edge more then 16" to avoid my rear pushing tactics. So that makes me consider deep strike as my next option... (Notice, these lists are scoring-only and most of each list can be put into a standard game, I'm trying to set a basis against all the tank company players we have)

(Notice, these lists are scoring-only and most of each list can be put into a standard game, I'm trying to set a basis against all the tank company players we have)

So if I understand you Mutt-Man, you're looking for a way to use Cult troops or CSMs to take out enemy super heavies, specifically Baneblades right?

If so, my answer would be the following:

Thousand Sons, Noise Marines and Berserkers = No. All these units are geared either for close combat or anti-infantry. Wasted against super heavies.

This leaves CSMs (marked or unmarked) and Plague Marines. The reason that both of these are viable is simple, Meltaguns. To effectively kill super heavies, you need Melta weapons. Plasma might be able to hurt the rear armor, but only just barely and its just too unreliable.

To back up your Meltaguns, you'll want Power Fists. Luckily the S8 attacks will be enough to get through most rear armor, however this is backup to the Meltaguns.

Plague Marines will be protected against Heavy Bolters, AutoCannons, Scatter Lasers etc. These weapons aren't that common on the big tanks themselves, however the units protecting them will probably have alot of them.

Normal CSMs will have numbers and that means more Melta weapons possibly.

Either one will work, or a combination, but I don't think the other choices are viable really.

Maybe Berserkers but what you're doing is betting that you can get the charge in with a S9 Power Fist and I'd rather have 2 Meltaguns then a few Power Fist swings as my main choice.

May as well be regular CSM's considering the melta/fists with icon of tzeentch. (To see some make it past all the doom blasts)

Also, small point out for krak grenades hitting AV12, there is no -1 modifier from no AP value since the modifiers only apply to shooting attacks. So then I guess trying to go with zerks that storm objectives a bit better being anti infantry and melee boggers.

Now for their main assistant units... Obliterators as the butter units. The jelly units maybe..... A few havoc units I guess that tot around meltas and fists (played like chosen).

145(1)Prince: Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Change

145(1)Prince: Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Change

250(10)CSM: BP/Bolter/CCW/Krak&Frag Grenades, Icon of Tzeentch, 2 Meltas + Champ: Pfist

250(10)CSM: BP/Bolter/CCW/Krak&Frag Grenades, Icon of Tzeentch, 2 Meltas + Champ: Pfist

225(3)Obliterators: See Codex

270(10)Havocs: BP/Bolter/CCW/Krak&Frag Grenades, Icon of Tzeentch, 4 Meltas + Champ: Pfist

270(10)Havocs: BP/Bolter/CCW/Krak&Frag Grenades, Icon of Tzeentch, 4 Meltas + Champ: Pfist

Simple 13 list, havocs are like chosen with the skill being used already as a strategic asset. Couldn't fit the wings on the prince's, that's fine i was planning on having one DP with wings and two anti tank powers but two is better. If I add the rhinos, it'll boast to 3500 I'll have them on standby (with the wings) if I get the space since all players are set at 2k-3k until noted otherwise later. 89+8prince wounds. Oblits and Havocs will debut first from the table edges.

This sound good?

If you are to take Deamonic units i would suggest picking them from the Deamon codex. You can buff them out much more. And if you stick with those Berzerkers i think Skarbrand is a usefull addition (or as it is Apocaypse you could put "chaos" Chaplains in any Berzerker unit) Re-rolls to hit on Berzerkers are worth it.

Archived