FAQ: Removing Paint - Paint Stripping

I've been using Dettol disinfectant now for a while. It works well... strips plastic and metal with no loss of detail.

I do have a problem that somebody might be able to help me with:

After soaking for 12-24 hours the paint goes all wrinkly and comes off easily leaving the model relatively paintless

However, (I think its the black primer) there seems to be a greasy black film covering the model... Its like a sticky oil thats impossible to get off...

All i do when I brush it is smear the black stuff around, none of seems to come off...

I've given up trying to get it off cos it doesn't obscure any detail... just a bit annoying having sticky models.

A question for our American cousins. Is simple green used by mechanics to get oil and grease of their hands? Thick green gloopy stuff with the consistency of hair gel, maybe thicker? If so, Swarfega, which can be bought from any carspares shop is probably the same thing.

Yeah I've used brake fluid on about 200 marines and such. It works great slighly better on metal than plastic, but no harmful effects at all. If you let it sit I've found that it weakens most glues which I find helpful. The only ones that have never come unglued are ones built with model glue, it basically melts the pieces together. A good wash and scrub with warm water and dish soap is an absolute as the residue will stay on and effect the repaint.

Grumpy

Simple green is a multipurpose cleaner for around the kitchen and the like, it's an alcohol based cleaner along the lines of a high strength window cleaner or kitchen degreaser. You can use plain old rubbing alcohol to break down acryllic paint with just about the same effect. If you are willing to wait a while even just soaking a minatures in water will eventually soften the paint up enough to scrub it free, but alcohol bases and other petrol based agents like brake fluid will break the bonds a bit faster. WD40 may also work, it's an oil degreaser & lubricant that doesn't damage plastic, we use it for getting old paint off car parts at work and it'll probably work well although I've never tried it on minatures, so do a test piece just to make sure (since GW plastic is differant that auto parts plastic).

Personally I find simple green is kinda slow, you get about the same effect soaking it in window cleaner, it is good in the fact that it won't harm plastic or cause it to soften. I use spirits of terpentine on a Q tip, but you can't let it soak in or it can damage the plastic, it does strip quite well. Lighter fluid also works well, but it's very flamible so make sure it's not near any heat sources and defiantely wash the minature after cleaning to remove any residue from the fluid.

For metal the ultimate stripping king is Gum Out carbeurator cleaner, DO NOT use it on plastic as it will melt desolve it. But for cleaning metals there is no faster and stronger cleaner. Back in the day I used testors enamel model paints on my figs which is normally near impossible to remove. A 20 minute soak in gum out rips the paint clean off. Use an old toothbrush and the old paint will just peel away. Be careful with the stuff cause it's pretty toxic and can burn your skin if you let it sit on it for long. I have an old jam jar that has about an inch of it in there that I use for stripping metal and it's lasted me at least 2 years without needing to be replaced/refilled. Make sure you use it outside cause it has a very strong smell. They may not have that brand accross the pond but any carb cleaner from an auto parts place should suffice.

I have recently got back into the hobby after about 15 years. I looked out all my old miniatures from the loft, and decided to strip them all as the Salamanders colour scheme had changed. Anyway, I looked on the 'net about what to use to strip them and Dettol was mentioned on a few sites, so I gave it try.

Firstly, most of my models were metal. They were undercoated using either a grey or white car primer from Halfords. Then they had been painted using Citadel paints (No more than 3 or 4 layers - highlights etc). Soaked in Dettol overnight. Next morning, the paint had bubbled off the models. Run under cold water with an old toothbrush, came out good as new.

Then I tried the same technique on some models I had bought of eBay. These were caked in Citadel Space Wolf Grey spray paint. Left them overnight, not much change in the morning. Left them for another 12 hours then tried to brush off the paint. They were really sticky and greasy. It was a nightmare to remove, especially from skin. I'm not sure if it was the amount of paint or the fact it was GW own make of paint that caused it to go sticky, I'll need to investigate further sometime.

Anyway, I can totally recommend Dettol (The brown liquid stuff). A couple of mates have used it too and it has done no damage to plastics or metals.

Mines in detol tonight.. ive put them in a pickel jar that seals. I can see that the paint is starting to flake Im going to leave them for 48 hours thats what the girl at GW told me she does and the paint drops of witha toothbrush.. also I cant find any Mr Muscle Oven cleaner other than foam.. any suggestions ?

I've never tried stripping paint before, however I just got a bucketload of badly painted plastic and metal models off ebay that I'm stripping to resell. Just been down Tesco's and bought Detol Antiseptic Disinfectant (£3.27 for 750ml) and have just soaked some minis now. I'll post results tomorrow night.

For metal models NOTHING can beat nitro-mors. This stuff is lethal though use it outside or in well ventilated area and wear gloves or it'll take your skin off. Trust me on that. Melts plastic/green stuff etc don't try it.

As for plastics yup mr muscle works a treat. Like fivetide though i've only found the spray works fine imo. Might need 2 applications though sometimes it just depends on a per model basis.

I've never tried stripping paint before, however I just got a bucketload of badly painted plastic and metal models off ebay that I'm stripping to resell. Just been down Tesco's and bought Detol Antiseptic Disinfectant (£3.27 for 750ml) and have just soaked some minis now. I'll post results tomorrow night.

Update...

It was 4pm when I put them in the detol (two metal models and 10 plastic) - I gave it two hours and the paint was starting to come off, so I scrubbed each one with a toothbrush then put them back into soak. Quite a bit came off but still alot on - hopefully scrubbing most of it off will allow the Detol to get into the tight nooks and crannies.

Now 1.30am and about to go to bed, checked on them again and I'm not getting that much more off. I'll leave them overnight and see tomorrow, but so far I'm not overly impressed for the price of the Detol (I don't know at this stage how much use I'll get from each bottle though). Hopefully it's just a case of not leaving them in for long enough at the moment.

I will update tomorrow and try and add some pics as well.

Are you using Detol out of the bottle or do you water it down a bit before adding the models?

Detol - The Verdict....

I scrubbed and scrubbed, and I'd say 95% of the paint is off, its just left some in the crevices. For the amount of effort I've put in with scrubbing, there ain't a hope in hell I'm messing about with toothpicks (tried it briefly, went through 5 on one model) and I couldn't be arsed to do that for every model. Results the same for both plastic and metal figures, therefore....

After A LOT of research online I've reached some conclusions....

1. I'm going to need to use one type of product for plastic.

2. I'm going to use Paint Thinner for Metal models and just watch that bad boy dissolve the paint away (no scrubbing from some tests I've seen).

3. Plastic is a tricky nut to crack with little effort, but I think it can be done with a little, erm, effort...

Lots of people are saying Brake Fluid, so I'm going to give that a try. But I want to ask a favour of anyone reading this, can you please grab an old plastic marine that you dont mind sacrificing, drop it into a glass of Malt Vinegar (the kind that you put on your chips) and then add some salt to it and let me know what happens?

I haven't got any vinegar in the house which is why I'm asking someone else to do it, but here's something I read just now, which is the reason for asking....

My son is doing a science project in school, and I am trying to help him. We have an idea for the project, but are not sure what questions to ask and how to get the answers. I am not very science savey, so I am looking for a dummy level help. We have tried to take the paint out of a christmas ornament using different agents such as paint remover, acetone, and the simplest vinegar and salt. Using the vinegar alone did not break the paint down, but when adding the salt, within seconds the paint began to flake and peal. The other agents did not work. Can you explain to us why the other agents did not work and the vinegar and salt did work?

Answer: Salt, or sodium chloride, combines with acetic acid from the vinegar to produce sodium acetate and hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen chloride is a strong acid and the combination of it and sodium acetate rapidly cleans the surface of the ornament.

There are several chemicals which go under the heading "paint remover". Probably the most common would be mineral spirits, which is a petroleum distillate.

Acetone is better known as nail polish remover.

I give you these in order of strength. It makes you wonder how we can eat anything pickled, doesn't it?

I figure that as it hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe nobody has tried it and so maybe its worth a shot? Let me know please if anyone tries it, otherwise I'll pick some vinegar up this weekend and try it then. Btw, Stateside I think Malt Vinegar is called "white distilled vinegar".

Back to Detol then - Not overly impressed, if I'm gonna scrub, I want it all gone, not having to mess about with picks and scrapers. Putting some more models in, gonna leave them a week and see what happens.

Edit: I've been using detol straight from the bottle without diluting it.

On another note, used some Boots Nail Polish remover, put in a Drinks Bottle Cap and added a few expendable plastic marine arms - left for 30mins, came back and they were a pile of goo - had to be chucked, so having to rule that out as an option for "letting it soak products". I'll try it out on a metal mini later and post results.

top 3 for stripping both plastic and metal then are...

1 Mr muscle kitchen cleaner (spray bottle from tesco) pour into a glass jar and leave overnight then toothbrush paint off

2 dettol disinfectant ( the brown stuff your mum uses, NOT the fancy new clear spray) glass jar again 50/50 dettol and water mix, leave overnight- this depends on what type of paint it seems.. some paint just lifts right off but some gets very sticky(see my earlier post)- use a paper towel to wipe the paint off (kitchen roll) dont try the toothbrush!!

3 fairy power spray ( spray this on as the action of the bubbles seems to make a difference)

there are a few other recipes out there but as the 3 above are all available in tesce/asda etc without getting funny looks then thats all i can see me using :D

My friend uses pine saw(probally didnt spell that right) but what iv seen from his models they come out clean and brand new almost every time, hes never complained about it either besides the fact that it might take him a try or two.

Archived