World Eaters & Word Bearers

Hello servants of the Chaos Gods,

I have played currently as a loyalist but my acquisition of two boxes of Lesser Daemons of Chaos (Bloodletters) has made me wonder several things. After double checking the Chaos Codex my questions come:

Do World Eaters (original ones) still use fire support teams for their Berzerkers and heavy weapons or have all dedicated themselves to close combat?

Regarding the Sons of Lorgar I was always intrigued by religiously motivated groups/communities/military units. In creating a Word Bearers force since I heard in the last editions Word Bearers had options for cultists and particularities for the legion and I am trying to make something as close to the Legion's theme as possible.

What i'd like to ask is how can one create a Dark Apostle (Chaplain) to be as close to the whole legion's theme? Suggestions from how to field him as? (Chaos Lord, etc.). Any hints or ideas whatsoever for a Word Bearer force would be welcome :)

Im not 100% sure on your first question but as khorne is combat orientated I wouldnt imagine that firing from long range was something he or his servants would approve of, so personally I would say no.

Dor your aposal im sure a wb player would be able to give better advice but I would use the chaos lord and convert him so that he had a corrupted crozius arcanum, maybe a book in the other hand and have him coverd in daemonic scripture, maybe even tattoed on his face?

As far as World Eaters (or Khorne followers in general) I think it can be a matter of opinion. Khorne is the god of martial prowess just as much as he is of slaughter and blood and such. I can see using Chosen or Havocs, but probably not normal troops. Look at it this way, you have the ability to take them now, do it. I wouldn't look upon it as unfluffy.

Do World Eaters (original ones) still use fire support teams for their Berzerkers and heavy weapons or have all dedicated themselves to close combat?

What i'd like to ask is how can one create a Dark Apostle (Chaplain) to be as close to the whole legion's theme? Suggestions from how to field him as? (Chaos Lord, etc.). Any hints or ideas whatsoever for a Word Bearer force would be welcome :)

1- No WE's no longer use fire support teams. In C:csm 3.5 there was a shift in fluff of khorne worship from covering all types of war to just axe weilding madmen. I think the former (2nd ed. fluff) makes more sense, where they value (and khorne is the god of) all aspects of war.

So you could actually field a WE's army using fire support teams, tanks, even havocs and have it be a proper army (by 2nd ed. standards), funny thig is; all but the oldest players (like me :) ) will think your army is unfluffy. A more tacticly complete WE's army would be a welcome change IMO. So I say if you want to do a more 2nd ed. style WE's army, I say do it.

-

2- I'd say the best way to do a DA is a unmarked lord w/ D. weop. modeled as a CA. A WB's force should be all unmarked or IoCG (maybe w brzrkrs with all the khorne stuff filed off to represent the most fanatic zeolots)

My buddy plays word bearers and he uses a Chaplain Grimaldus model with all the silly crosses and eagles filed off. Then he cut the eagle from the Crozius and replaced it with a huge Chaos star. Now there's a bombastic preacher who gets people out of their seats. Chaos lord with no mark is perfect.

I’m afraid so, the World Eaters are all Berserkers now but they do have fire support in the form of Dreadnaughts, Defilers, Rhinos and Landraiders.

As for the Word Bearers you don’t have to have an Apostle, your army could be lead by one of the Apostles warlords. I’d suggest reading Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Tales of Heresy (Scions of the Storm) for background on the Legion and its Primarch the Prophet Lorgar (the Urizen)

In game however, you can be creative in using the chaos lord and sorcerers to represent your apostle. It can be a simple as a Lord with a Power weapon at lower points to using one of the daemon weapons to represent your Lords own Crozius. You can also use some of the Special Characters, Kikkala has made an Apostle version of Khârn for example (which I’ll probably nic ^_^ ) and I use my warlord the Arbiter as a counts as Huron Blackheart.

Also the Word Bearers are only as limited as you want them to be. Many people feel that they only use chaos undivided but others (myself included) see them being more like the Greeks in that they worship the pantheon but call on differing gods at different times.

Using the icon of nurgle when facing superior firepower or chemical attacks to using the icon of Slaanesh against the elder.

I’ll stop talking now as I’m a little bias but hey :P

Welcome to the Glory of Chaos brother.

Disciple

Thank you all for the replies. Well seems I'll have to figure out what to make the theme list appropriate. I think I'll start with 750 points to 1000 points. So far I do have two squads of Bloodletters i'd like to use as Lesser Summoned Daemons. I'd like to ask how often do Word Bearers use summoned Daemons? From what I noticed their sorcerers are always keen of summoning things from the Warp.

As for the Dark Apostle I will start off with a simple Chaos Lord or convert a Loyalist Chaplain. Any other hints are more than welcome. Now off to figuring what to buy exactly and make a budget (which i am a bit short on).

WB's make large use of daemons summoning hoards of them to throw at the enemy.

In C:csm 3.5 (the one with actual fluff in it) WB's were the daemon bomb army.

-

It seems you are trying to make a WB and a WE army at the same time...is that the case ?...or are you trying to decide between the two ?

Hello Bogdan! It warms my dark heart to see another Loyalist begin to fall to the temptation of Chaos!

As for your questions- I've seen Dark Apostles represented as Chaos Lords with somesort of Daemon weapon. I've also been told to use a mark of tzeentch, while not fluffy (meow), it does represent the Chaplain's shield....thing....

As for the army itself, Chaos Marines with MoCG would work with Bezerkers, Plauge Marines, Noise Marines, Rubric Marines, or marines with various marks to show uber fanatic marines....

Daemons would also be a common sight....

(hope this helps!)

To answer your question Chilling I was trying to see if it's worth making an all World Eaters army but I can have World Eater Style Zerkers and Fire support with Word Bearers so I will go Chaos Undivided.

I'll probably acquire a Chaos Lord or Chaplain and convert him. Regardless I will start off with a small Word Bearer force. I am already on the road there as I've had for a while a Squad of 5 Posessed Chaos Space Marines which will take their place among their battle brothers.

For now i thought combining a battle force, a Chaos Marine Squad, an additional Rhino and the Dark Apostle and the Lesser Daemons should be good. With the 5 Posessed in the battleforce I will get to a full Squad of 10 Possessed Exalted Battle Brothers.

Generally I think I will go for perhaps a squad of Chosen, two normal squads of Chaos Marines, the Lesser Daemons and Possessed along with the Berzerkers assisting as support units. I think Bikers will also be good in the future as Icon/beacon deployers for the Daemon bombing. But Chaos moves at it's own pace so we shall keep to it.

All praises!

I am proud to say that my first matchup with the Word Bearers against the debased members of the Night Lords Legion ended in a victory for the Sons of Lorgar.

I fielded a Sorcerer, called Gracchus the Oracle, two squads of Battle-Brothers, two called groups of seven Lesser Daemons, two Obliderators and as mobility for the brothers two Rhino APCs.

The Night Lords fielded no vehicles taking overconfidence in their Raptors. Their miserable lord fell before the superior power of the Blessed One, Gracchus while his lackeys found no different fate. In the end their wretched hideout was consecrated in the name of Chaos by the righteous.

All Praises!

Congratulations Bogdan! Bring glory in the name of Lorgar and the Chaos Gods! Show the xenos, Loyalists, and Renegades what it means to challange the chosen of the gods!!

Ahem...back on topic...Its funny that you should mention of a joint Word Bearer and World Eater strike force cuz i'm doing the same thing :) ...

I walk a fine line between being Undivided and a servent of Khorne...

But yet again congratulations my friend!

I was rather satisfied with the performance of the Summoned Lesser Daemons. The Exalted Sons of the Gods proved their worth in battle. In 40k terms a group of 7 summoned lesser daemons wiped out a Night Lord Tac-Squad equivalent and opened a flanking maneuver made by the other daemon squad supported by Brother Marines and Gracchus the Oracle.

I used the Sorcerer in Terminator Armour with Doombolt, Familiar and Warptime using them depending on situation. Knowing i'd be facing Marine Equivalents his doombolt was good to pick a stray marine or two before he and the Daemons assaulted the enemy supported by the Chaos Marines.

The Obliterators started on the table and were used to created a fire lane forcing his troops in single file, one squad after the other right into the jaws of my forces. The Summoned Daemons did their job admirably.

As for my Rhino squad, it did it's job unhindered and captured the enemy's base while his forces were stuck in with my defenders. The foolish Night Lord Captain died to the spells and incantations unleashed by Gracchus (poor fellow got struck three times by the doombolt (all 3 shots hit), wounded and he failed his invulnerable saves).

I shall follow the Path of Lorgar, may he be praised and bring the Word of Chaos to non-believers.

Archived